Snarky Brides
Options

Buying all of the alcohol

We have to buy all of the alcohol for the wedding. Has anyone done this. I need to know how much to buy for 100 people. I don't want to be caught with too little. I plan on starting to buy soon to break up the cost so by the time the wedding comes around there won't be an option to return. I am going to be buying bottles of beer and supplement with a keg. Should I do four types of mixed drinks to avoid having to buy too many kinds of liquor? We will also be hosting an after party on the grounds around a bon-fire so I'm sure there will be more drinking there as well.

I'm so lost on this I don't even know where to start.

20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Buying all of the alcohol

• Options
  • Options
    Try this.

I think you'd be alright provided a few signature drinks instead of hosting a fully stocked open bar.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    We want to do wine, We have to wait to see if it's in the budget. Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010

4 cases of wine
    2 cases of champagne
    6-8 cases of beer

3-4 bottles of each hard liquor

4-6 bottles of each mixer (assuming you need to provide club soda, tonic, juice etc).

that still might not be enough depending on how much your guests drink, that would barely cover 100 of my guests (booze hounds!)

ETA: nevermind, my numbers are wine heavy b/c that's what most people I know drink. 12-15 cases of beer instead I'd guess with wine/champagne.

Photobucket
  • Options
    I recommend box wine, unless your crowd is really into wine and the snobs would not approve.  There are some pretty good wines in boxes these days (Black Box is one brand).  A 3 liter box = 4 bottles of wine, and the leftovers will stay fresh for a while.  We did a red and a white at our wedding, along with beer and sodas.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We planned a little less than 1 drink per person per hour at our mid-day reception and had some leftovers.  But, most of my family are non-drinkers and we took that into account.

This is a "know your crowd" situation and dito PP about the drink calculators. 
  • Options
    Could you shop around for a vendor that will let you return unopened bottles? Our liquor provider allowed this.
  • Options
    We were given our ETHOL by a friend who owns a bar but we calculated 1500-2000 for 120 people/3 hour wedding
  • Options
    We had a Sunday afternoon wedding with about 100 drinking guests.  We served just beer and wine during an 1.5hr cocktail 'hour' and during dinner.  No dance, but people hung around from about 2:30 (when lunch was served) until 4:30-5ish.

We went through one full keg and most of a second keg.
    About 20 bottles of red wine
    15 bottles of white wine
  • Options
    I think you'd be fine by just having vodka and rum and mixers; most liquor drinkers are fine with one of those, or add tequila and gin if you want to be able to make margaritas and long islands lol.  As far as quantities, I have a halloween party at my house each year and take care of all the liquor.  Last year I had about 125 people come, and of course its a party so most were drinking heavily; I think we killed about three 1.75's of vodka, we got into a third 1.75 of rum but just barely, and did not get more than half way through a 1.75 of anything else.  If you're not a liquor drinker, a 1.75 is the 'big' bottle of liquor, 1.75 liters.  The smaller common size is 750 ml.  My numbers may be skewed though if you'll only have two or three liquors available because I basically had just about everything under the sun, so if there were less choices I'm sure we'd have gone through a lot more vodka and rum.  I bet if you had four 1.75's of vodka and rum you'll have more than enough for 100 people.  That should probably not run you more than $200 total if you buy good but not super expensive brands like Ketel One vodka and Bacardi rum.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:dc993caa-326d-4933-9e63-ec6e4fb8515e">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stupid question, but how long can you store bottled beer?  If your wedding isn't until next June, I'd be worried it would get skunky by then. Beer never lasts long enough in our house to worry about that. :)
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]
    Very good point, ILMD.  OP, don't buy beer or wine this far out.  Try to save those for the last few months before your wedding because the last thing you want is to serve skunky beer or vinegar instead of wine.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:50d7eb14-f71d-4192-8f4f-a6a6dfc3ae12">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buying all of the alcohol : I'd drink your skunky beer and vinegar wine any day of the week ;)  I had a bottle of champagne left in my closet from right around this time last year.  I decided I wanted to drink it this weekend.  Bad idea.  It was a sweeter champagne with vinegar undertones :-(
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

Yum...

Do you know how long champagne keeps chilled B? I got a really nice bottle as an engagement gift, but we're not really champagne drinkers, but I don't want it to go to waste.

Photobucket
  • Options
    We're buying all of the alcohol for our wedding (around 150 ppl).  The liquor store we're using was able to give us estimates on how much to buy, and I also used online calculators.  The store also accepts returns for unopened wine and liquor, but not on beer if the case has already been opened.  Our store only accepts returns within 30 days so if you're going to try to do this, don't buy the alcohol in advance (in addition to the other reasons PP stated).  Perhaps just put money aside over the next few months instead of actually buying the alcohol.

We're having vodka, rum, tequila, gin, scotch, bourbon (with vodka being the most, then rum and so on down).  We're doing 4 beers (2 light and 2 regular) and 4 wines (2 reds and 2 whites).  We may just do two wines depending on how we feel about it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:c5c2b865-a053-4487-8946-563e4a8d7001">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buying all of the alcohol : Yum... Do you know how long champagne keeps chilled B? I got a really nice bottle as an engagement gift, but we're not really champagne drinkers, but I don't want it to go to waste.
    Posted by kcullen37[/QUOTE]
    Oh yeah, it was delicious.  I still drank almost the whole bottle because I do love that kind of champagne, but eeewwwww.

I don't know.  Sorry.  I hope by the time you get around to it it's still good.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:dc993caa-326d-4933-9e63-ec6e4fb8515e">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stupid question, but how long can you store bottled beer?  If your wedding isn't until next June, I'd be worried it would get skunky by then. Beer never lasts long enough in our house to worry about that. :)
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

If stored properly (not allowed to get warm or exposed to direct sunlight), bottled beer can keep for a decent amount of time. We had a really nice beer that my mom bought us and kept it in our basement for at least 6 months.

But, like you said, beer doesn't normally stay around our house that long. And when canned beer expires, it tastes like ass.
  • Options
    Depending on what state you're in, if you're in one that allows independent liquor stores rather than state-run stores, you can often negotiate a better deal with a local store.  I put my liquor lists together using prices at Total Wine, kind of like a walmart of alcohol, then went to a mom and pop liquor store and told the guy if you can match or beat this total price on the same stuff, I'll buy from you; he beat it by a few hundred and better to put the money in a small business owner's pocket.  I was buying a lot of liquor though. :-)

• Options
    Wow, I went to lunch and came back to a ton of helpful answers. I don't plan on buying the beer until the month of. I know that about 90 of the 100 will be drinking a good amount as everyone gets to stay overnight and nobody will be driving afterword. PA only has state stores and I believe the return policy is 60 or 90 days, so returning anything I buy early won't work. If I have extra I will try to sell it to somebody who is in the same boat as me. I asked the caterer that is providing the alcohol but he gave me some very low numbers.

Anything we do buy now will be stored in the garage. I thin kI might just start stocking up on the four types of liquor I need for the specialty cocktails I am thinking of using and wait to buy beer.

Dos wine really go bad, I though it was better after time? I don't know much about wine as I usually drink the sweetest grape wine I can find.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:3929801f-a812-4b31-90fc-ab47c3f7b58e">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]Depending on what state you're in, if you're in one that allows independent liquor stores rather than state-run stores, you can often negotiate a better deal with a local store.  I put my liquor lists together using prices at Total Wine, kind of like a walmart of alcohol, then went to a mom and pop liquor store and told the guy if you can match or beat this total price on the same stuff, I'll buy from you; he beat it by a few hundred and better to put the money in a small business owner's pocket.  I was buying a lot of liquor though. :-)
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip.  I may try this with my local store.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:41794e94-44c7-49d8-a73e-ad6d68a7393c">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow, I went to lunch and came back to a ton of helpful answers. I don't plan on buying the beer until the month of. I know that about 90 of the 100 will be drinking a good amount as everyone gets to stay overnight and nobody will be driving afterword. PA only has state stores and I believe the return policy is 60 or 90 days, so returning anything I buy early won't work. If I have extra I will try to sell it to somebody who is in the same boat as me. I asked the caterer that is providing the alcohol but he gave me some very low numbers. Anything we do buy now will be stored in the garage. I thin kI might just start stocking up on the four types of liquor I need for the specialty cocktails I am thinking of using and wait to buy beer. <strong>Dos wine really go bad, I though it was better after time?</strong> I don't know much about wine as I usually drink the sweetest grape wine I can find.
    Posted by Y I Oughta[/QUOTE]
    Wine can and does go bad, if it's not stored properly. If the wine gets corked (cork dries out), the wine tastes awful. Awful. Be sure to lay the wine down, like in a rack or something similar. Storing it upright for a long period of time will make the cork dry out. And if you do store your wine for a long time, turn the bottles periodically.
  • Options
    Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Is that the elusive VegasGroom that was mentioned in a thread last week?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:41794e94-44c7-49d8-a73e-ad6d68a7393c">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE] Dos wine really go bad, I though it was better after time? I don't know much about wine as I usually drink the sweetest grape wine I can find.
    Yes wine really does go bad.  Some wines get better with age some wines spoil.  You can ask the employees at the store you buy the bottles in which type you should get to make sure it doesn't go bad.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Now I know where to start and what to avoid.
  • Options
    We had our wedding at IL's farm so we bought all the liquor. The liquor store we went to helped us out a lot with how much to buy and then we add more because we are all booze hounds. This is what i think we did plus I know someone went out half way through the reception and bought more beer:
    8-10  case of budlight light
    3 cases Mich Ultra
    2 cases Octoberfest.
    2 Miller Light
    2 case Bud

2 big bottles of jaegermister (this ran out buy the time I wanted a Jaeger Bomb:(
    2-3 Big bottles of vodka
    1 Handle Rum
    1 bottle gin
    1 bottle whiskey.

Plus white and red wine at all the tables.

we had about 110 people at our wedding and not much was left over by the end of the night.  I guess all I have to say is "Hello my name is Xtine and we are all alcoholics..."
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic width=220>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:cca6266c-9bc1-4326-9167-68900b0b0d60">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is that the elusive VegasGroom that was mentioned in a thread last week?

My ears were burning.  Hope it was a good comment lol.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_buying-of-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:1ee114b0-65ff-4148-85de-e395821ecfd6Post:3eb70d4d-9086-4a6d-9701-1e53c5f5362a">Re: Buying all of the alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Buying all of the alcohol : My ears were burning.  Hope it was a good comment lol.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

<div>Depends on how you define AEs.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards