Snarky Brides
Options

shipping costs?

I mentioned this in the GM thread, but its a little dead in there.
So.
I have to ship a box of gifts today. USPS/UPS/FedEx? Which one do you use/which is the cheapest option?

Thanks!

Re: shipping costs?

• Options
    Your cheapest option will probably be a flat rate box from USPS, but if you want to make sure it arrives, and you want it there at a certain time I'd go with FedEx or UPS.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Thanks. I figured that might be the case. I've got too much junk to use a flat rate box.
  • Options
    If you know the general size box you'll need and have an idea of the weight both FedEx and UPS should have a way to get a quote on their website.  You could find out which is cheapest before you ever walk out your door.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_shipping-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:21c2fc0a-1a5a-489c-9029-a6757acb3164Post:b857116d-0bd2-4618-8e70-8e860a4dbc68">Re: shipping costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you know the general size box you'll need and have an idea of the weight both FedEx and UPS should have a way to get a quote on their website.  You could find out which is cheapest before you ever walk out your door.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thank you again!
  • Options
    FWIW, UPS is usuallly a little cheaper than FedEx, but they are a PITA to work with.

We used UPS to ship my laptop and they packed the box & we insured it for the cost of the laptop. When Gateway got the "box" it looked like someone had put a steak on it and let a pack of dogs get ahold of it, and caused more damage to the laptop. It took 5 months of fighting with UPS to get the insurance we put on it to cover it. I always try to use USPS or FedEx now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use UPS a lot, and I prefer their service.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Did you compare online?  All three sites have a rate calculator if you know how big the box is and how much it weighs.  I've found that UPS beats the USPS from time to time on rates, and UPS always has a tracking number included (which is comforting.)  I would put your box together and then weigh & measure it before you go anywhere.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_shipping-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:21c2fc0a-1a5a-489c-9029-a6757acb3164Post:e76e45c0-e0cb-43b6-9e86-220ad5e8c3d0">Re: shipping costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FWIW, UPS is usuallly a little cheaper than FedEx, but they are a PITA to work with. We used UPS to ship my laptop and they packed the box & we insured it for the cost of the laptop. When Gateway got the "box" it looked like someone had put a steak on it and let a pack of dogs get ahold of it, and caused more damage to the laptop. It took 5 months of fighting with UPS to get the insurance we put on it to cover it. I always try to use USPS or FedEx now.
    Posted by cha+ching[/QUOTE]
    This sounds like a one-time incident.  My company uses both UPS and FedEx for shipments, and I can tell you first hand neither is a treat to work with.  This happens with both companies.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    I don't think UPS is a pain in the ass.  FedEx pisses me thefuck off.

sarabear, have you ever gone to the UPS store?  I love that they pack and ship stuff for you.  I've sent lots of Christmas gifts that way and I think it's awesome, I don't even care how much it costs if they pack it for me and guarantee that things will get to where they're going safely and if not, they make it right for you.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_shipping-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:21c2fc0a-1a5a-489c-9029-a6757acb3164Post:379b8562-e895-4eea-9b47-9c601dfa47dd">Re: shipping costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: shipping costs? : This sounds like a one-time incident.  My company uses both UPS and FedEx for shipments, and I can tell you first hand neither is a treat to work with.  This happens with both companies.
    Posted by betrothed123[/QUOTE]

I can understand that it can be a pain to work with both, just my experience has been that UPS is the bigger pain. I use FedEx at least 4-6 times a month (depending on business) and I've had a few problems with them, but they were always pretty easy to work with. I guess it was just the way UPS handled the situation/customer service. I didn't see where it should take 5 months and hours a day on the phone to figure it out - your store packed it, it was damaged in the care of UPS, it has insurance to cover the damage, fix it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_shipping-costs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:21c2fc0a-1a5a-489c-9029-a6757acb3164Post:5effdd51-b117-4b08-a641-e7386977c83e">Re: shipping costs?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think UPS is a pain in the ass.  FedEx pisses me thefuck off. sarabear, have you ever gone to the UPS store?  I love that they pack and ship stuff for you.  I've sent lots of Christmas gifts that way and I think it's awesome, I don't even care how much it costs if they pack it for me and guarantee that things will get to where they're going safely and if not, they make it right for you.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I've never been to one. I haven't really shipped stuff before. I'm going to look into that for when I ship stuff from CA to IL. BFF and I are going to be baking and shipping it back to IL for my ILs. The other box I was originally asking about H is going to take with him on the plane since he can check 2 bags free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards