Snarky Brides

Snarky??

I've been lurking for a couple of months on this board. What happened to the snarky brides?? This has turned into a "I need to vent, have people hold my hand, and agree with everything I say" board.
Lame.

Re: Snarky??

• Yep. Pretty much. It's very sad.
  • They fled to the Caribbean after the knot changed formats.  It's been painful over here ever since.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh, and you forgot people who get all butthurt when someone says something snarky.   There's tons of them here as well.

• I want to flee to the Carribean. Sun, sand and water... That sounds so nice compared to the snow I'm getting here. 
  • "why r u so meen I just wanted honest opinions on my prolems" 

I often find myself banging my head on my desk. It hurts less than reading whiney misspelled and grammatically incorrect posts. I'm not perfect, but at least I put in an effort.
  • Philbricka - stick around then. We need your particular breed of common sense now more than ever.
  • Ditto M&M.

The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• It's cause snarky means 'annoying'.  Just ask sophistryliz, she's like a human dictionary.
  • I've only been on the knot for a few months, and have just recently discovered the message boards.  So I don't have years of snarkiness (Is that even a word?  Well, if it is not, I have no doubt that you ladies will let me know!) to compare it to.  I will say though, that based on the name of the board, I interpreted it to be a place where brides came to vent about whatever drama they were dealing with at the time.  The description of the board just states that "these Knotties are discussing everything from celebrity gossip to pressing world issues and everything in between" which doesn't really help.  So to all of you out there who get so irritated with people being confused as to why so many responses are mean and judgmental, maybe that will shed some light on it.  Having read quite a few of the threads in the last week or so, I know better than to ever post any actual "dilemma" on here.  I mean, even in writing this simple post, I am scanning and re-reading and doing spell check 800 times and trying to see what kind of lashing I could be setting myself up for!  But, to the brave brides who can take the criticism, it does at least give me something entertaining to do while I am supposed to be working.
    Expecting our first... Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • *sighs* there is no button for run on sentences...
    Expecting our first... Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:242dd8e6-5c7e-4ee4-aca6-ae51f2fd6908Post:5246c14d-de59-4f9f-a953-b9303470cc10">Re: Snarky??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've only been on the knot for a few months, and have just recently discovered the message boards.  So I don't have years of snarkiness (Is that even a word?  Well, if it is not, I have no doubt that you ladies will let me know!) to compare it to.  I will say though, that based on the name of the board, I interpreted it to be a place where brides came to vent about whatever drama they were dealing with at the time.  The description of the board just states that "these Knotties are discussing everything from celebrity gossip to pressing world issues and everything in between" which doesn't really help.  So to all of you out there who get so irritated with people being confused as to why so many responses are mean and judgmental, maybe that will shed some light on it.  Having read quite a few of the threads in the last week or so, I know better than to ever post any actual "dilemma" on here.  I mean, even in writing this simple post, I am scanning and re-reading and doing spell check 800 times and trying to see what kind of lashing I could be setting myself up for!  But, to the brave brides who can take the criticism, it does at least give me something entertaining to do while I am supposed to be working.
    Posted by B&B1221[/QUOTE]

If you're so anxious about hitting the post button, maybe you should just not post.  As long as you're reasonable and have half a brain sitting atop your shoulders you will not have a problem.

Also not understanding what the word "snark" means is not a good excuse for not understanding what this board is all about.  If I don't know what a words defining a forum means I look it up before posting there.  That's common sense, and the reason you will not be well received on the knot.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • B&B - this board used to be called Advice from Snarky Brides.  It was a "post at your own risk" kind of place and basically said so in the description. They shortened the name down to Snarky Brides and eventually with the format change, the regulars who kept the snark going (regardless of the description) relocated to a different board.  All of the boards go through phases in the make up of the posters.  Posters are  just reminiscing because it was so entertaining.

• More than ever, I understand the word snark.  My point was that I intepreted it to mean that the snark was supposed to come from the original poster.  But my deepest apologies, I will do my research next time, so as not to offend anyone.
  • Thank you, Mrs. B!  That was actually very helpful!  :-) And that also makes this board, and its responses make so much more sense to newcomers! 
  • betrothed - LOVE the bunny.
  • Yeah, it's not clear whom  the snarky brides describes.  I think it could work either way (posters or responders) as long as any poster remembers that if they can dish it out, they need to be able to take it.

• Who's offended?  Why do people automatically assume that if you don't agree with what they say you are offended by it? 
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • The key to posting on ANY board, regardless of the name, is to lurk.  Before posting, read and get a feel of what the board is about.  Signing up and posting some diatribe on a random board is never going to work out well.
  • Thank you Philbrickra :)
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • I agree with kiki, but would say that's more for the international boards.  Jumping in and posting on your local or month board is pretty safe.

• edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:242dd8e6-5c7e-4ee4-aca6-ae51f2fd6908Post:af7777b0-18ce-4757-a63b-e70be5b550c9">Re: Snarky??</a>:
    [QUOTE]More than ever, I understand the word snark.  My point was that I intepreted it to mean that the snark was supposed to come from the original poster.  But my deepest apologies, I will do my research next time, so as not to offend anyone.
    Posted by B&B1221[/QUOTE]

I see your point and how one might think that. But it also makes sense that the attitude the OP brings will be reciprocated by the board. It's only fair.

It <em>wouldn't</em> be fair (or helpful) for posters to come on here and vent/complain/bitch about their lives, and just have the rest of the board respond like good little validation robots. Plus, it would be super boring. "Snark" aside, I find that 99% of the time there is honest advice in every thread, because people respond honestly, bluntly and as they might as a wedding guest IRL.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Snarky means ANNOYED...it is a way of expressing irritation with something really.  For example, some of you have expressed annoyance towards B&B or myself for instance...you are being snarky. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:242dd8e6-5c7e-4ee4-aca6-ae51f2fd6908Post:49a18392-4119-4738-833b-abb8f6c19070">Re: Snarky??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Snarky means ANNOYED...it is a way of expressing irritation with something really.  For example, some of you have expressed annoyance towards B&B or myself for instance...you are being snarky. 
    Posted by sophistryliz[/QUOTE]

NO it doesn't. We already went over this. Is your dictionary on crack?

I hate how everyone thinks they've "offended" us by saying something we didn't agree with. Sorry, nope, not offended.
  • According to Webster's:

snark·y

/ˈsnɑrki/ Show Spelled[snahr-kee] Show IPA
    –adjective,snark·i·er, snark·i·est. Chiefly British Slang.
    testy or irritable; short.

A snarky answer would entail irritability and/or annoyance.
    I give up.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:242dd8e6-5c7e-4ee4-aca6-ae51f2fd6908Post:628d99cd-dcb6-40f3-97c3-7bfc0967913a">Re: Snarky??</a>:
    [QUOTE]According to Webster's: snark·y     / ˈsnɑr ki / Show Spelled [ snahr -kee ] Show IPA –adjective, snark·i·er, snark·i·est. Chiefly British Slang . testy or irritable; short. <strong>A snarky answer would entail irritability and/or annoyance</strong>. I give up.

I'm sorry but where does it say it means "annoying"? Is the bolded line something you wrote or part of the definition you copied?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:242dd8e6-5c7e-4ee4-aca6-ae51f2fd6908Post:4aebc95f-5d61-485c-a69b-3e72f23e097a">Re: Snarky??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Snarky?? :I hate how everyone thinks they've "offended" us by saying something we didn't agree with. Sorry, nope, not offended.
    Posted by nda_roxybabe[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it tales a bit more than some whining or a stupid statement to actually offend.

And Soapy- give it up.  Even the definitions you are providing are proving you wrong.
    Just call me "Brothel"
    my read shelf:
  • The bold answer is something I wrote.  The copy/paste is a definition.  Do you have any reading comprehension at all baby?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_snarky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:242dd8e6-5c7e-4ee4-aca6-ae51f2fd6908Post:ba57954d-570d-4831-8027-308f7c52488d">Re: Snarky??</a>:
    [QUOTE]The bold answer is something I wrote.  The copy/paste is a definition.  Do you have any reading comprehension at all baby?

I excel at reading comprehension actually. Clearly you're the one that has none. Your defintion didn't even have the word annoying in it.
  • Honey, that's what I mean by reading comprehension.  Do you need a thesaurus?  Irritable means annoyed sweety.

• I am truly guilty of lurking but I have to say every time sophistryliz posts something I just shake my head because I already know what's coming...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Number Invited 181image Number Attending 148image Number Declined 23image Number Not Replied 10image RSVP Date July 7 Magic Number:150
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards