Snarky Brides

I Have an Inappropriate Question

I have 4 friends that got married last year and I hated 3 out of 4 of their wedding dresses.  Does anyone else have close friends who's dresses they hated? 

I LOVE mine without a doubt, but I wonder how many people are going to be looking at me on our big day and thinking 'ick.'

Re: I Have an Inappropriate Question

• I wouldn't say I hate any dresses, per se.  But there are a lot that aren't my style.  I don't think there is a single dress out there that every single person will love, so don't stress about it.
    imageVacation
  • Based on your title, I was expecting something way more scandalous.

But no, I don't think I've ever gone to a wedding and hated the bride's dress.  There have been a few that were NMS (most of them, really), but nothing I would use the word "hate" on.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Nope.  Bridesmaids dresses on the other hand... 
  • Ha ha! I don't know if this counts, but I do have friends of friends who didn't make the best dress choices, for either themselves or their bridal parties.

1. My old college roommate just got back from her sister's wedding, and absolutely hated the pea green separates that she had chosen for her and her other bridesmaids. As if the color weren't bad enough, the tops were halters and much too low-cut for most of the girls to feel comfortable. My roommate in particular felt like a hoochie mama because her top was too tight as well, after all the necessary alterations just to get the stupid thing to fit.

2. This same roommate attended her stepbrother's wedding and reported that the bride's strapless gown did not fit her at all. It was one of those cases where the top stuck out awkwardly in the front, and frequently sagged, because she had no figure to fill it.

3. A bride at a family friend's wedding recently had the opposite problem. She too had chosen a strapless gown, but this thing wasn't going anywhere because it was so figure-hugging that it gave her that unfortunate "muffin top" effect that we all know and dread.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-have-an-inappropriate-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:28f7143f-31fe-4c59-88ab-32d1cb2e90a6Post:b098af37-d579-407a-b1cb-53983b402f45">Re: I Have an Inappropriate Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ha ha! I don't know if this counts, but I do have friends of friends who didn't make the best dress choices, for either themselves or their bridal parties. 1. My old college roommate just got back from her sister's wedding, and absolutely hated the pea green separates that she had chosen for her and her other bridesmaids. <strong>As if the color weren't bad enough, the tops were halters and much too low-cut for most of the girls to feel comfortable. My roommate in particular felt like a hoochie mama because her top was too tight as well, after all the necessary alterations just to get the stupid thing to fit.</strong> 2. This same roommate attended her stepbrother's wedding and reported that the bride's strapless gown did not fit her at all. It was one of those cases where the top stuck out awkwardly in the front, and frequently sagged, because she had no figure to fill it. 3. A bride at a family friend's wedding recently had the opposite problem. She too had chosen a strapless gown, but this thing wasn't going anywhere because it was so figure-hugging that it gave her that unfortunate "muffin top" effect that we all know and dread.
    Posted by Wife Kitty[/QUOTE]

Oh.  I've been a victim of this.  *shudder*
    panther
  • There are a few types of dresses I think are fugly- they are typically the way over embellished or have see through corsets, or the girls were falling out of the top etc. cough*pninatornei*cough but-

most weddings that I have been to- even though the dress is not something I would wear, I usually find it really fitting style-wise to the bride, which is great.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Not really, because lets be honest, 75% of all wedding dresses look pretty much identical. Its white, its got stuff tucked places, and its long. 
  • The only brides I've seen with questionable dress choices are the ones that don't know how to shop for their size - i.e. boob spillage over strapless dresses, that sort of thing. But, it sounds like the question in your OP is more a question of style than fit, and no, I've never been to a wedding for a friend where I thought her dress was fug. I've actually seen some pretty cool ones, like my mom's friend's dress that instead of creating a bustle for the train, it converted into a hooded cape for their horse-drawn carriage ride to the reception. It had pockets, too.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Honestly I don't pay much attention to the bride's dress. They all look pretty similiar to me and I'm not a fan of most of them, NMS.I tend to notice what the guests are wearing more than the bride or WP.
  • There were a few that I didn't care for and wouldn't wear myself (like my SIL's which looked really really cheap and was clearly the wrong size) but none that I hated.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-have-an-inappropriate-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:28f7143f-31fe-4c59-88ab-32d1cb2e90a6Post:b10f205b-a2a4-4281-9e9b-3e84371b89c1">Re: I Have an Inappropriate Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only brides I've seen with questionable dress choices are the ones that don't know how to shop for their size - i.e. boob spillage over strapless dresses, that sort of thing. But, it sounds like the question in your OP is more a question of style than fit, and no, I've never been to a wedding for a friend where I thought her dress was fug. I've actually seen some pretty cool ones, like my mom's friend's dress that <strong>instead of creating a bustle for the train, it converted into a hooded cape for their horse-drawn carriage ride to the reception. It had pockets, too.</strong>
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>That sounds really cool!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Hi all!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-have-an-inappropriate-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:28f7143f-31fe-4c59-88ab-32d1cb2e90a6Post:11a199a4-ba8a-4d2b-85f0-79e10bf27347">Re: I Have an Inappropriate Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Have an Inappropriate Question : That sounds really cool! Hi all!
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]

It was so perfect for their wedding, too, which was in the winter and it started to snow lightly just after the ceremony ended. I was maybe 14 at the time and it has stuck with me this long, so you know it made an impression!
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • I agree, Rachers. While I love your dress and think it's gorgeous on you (you look like a friggin' model), it just wouldn't look the same on me. And I know my dress was certainly not everyone's cup of tea, either, since it was mostly lace and chiffon, but I loved it and wish I could wear it everyday lol.
    Photobucket
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I love that NOT strapless dresses are really coming back into style again. They look less generic in my opinion.
  • I love weddings and wedding gowns. So far I dont think I've seen a dress I havent liked. But, most styles I've seen worked wonderfully with the bride.

JCB- I was worried about that as well, but I dont think I had to pull my dress up once. It was kind of snug though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Yes, only because she didn't listen to anybody and bought the dress two sizes too small since "she was going to lose weight for the wedding."

Well, she didn't lose enough, so they had to let it almost completely out which made the lines of the dress sit funny, plus it was still too small.  It looks ridiculous.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012

I don't necessarily hate other bride's dresses (Unless it's a monstrosity that ends up tackyweddings.com, lol) because a lot of them do seem to look the same to me.

I do admit that I have a tendency to play "who wore it better" the few times I've seen pictures of other people wearing my dress.

And I always win.Tongue out

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• I wish I could post the picture of my fiance's best friend's wife's dress and wp, but for their sake I will refrain. Let's just say she had turtleneck white silk that was also long sleaved that was loose in the ends. The bridal party were in wine colored dresses that were silk long sleaved and floor length.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I dont think I have hated any, I dont think they picked the best dress for their body type but I have never hated the dress.
  • Yep - a girl who's wedding we went to had this HUGE ball gown thing. The boob area didn't fit right, so there was this huge gap - it was awkward. And then she topped it off with a teeny weeny tiara that looked like a miniature Miss America Tiara. It was just wrong. It probably would have looked better if the dress had fit and she didn't try to be a beauty queen.

Also - she made her BMs and GM come back 2 months later to re-take wedding pictures because she was too sweaty in them. It was awesome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_i-have-an-inappropriate-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:28f7143f-31fe-4c59-88ab-32d1cb2e90a6Post:de67526f-9f44-4eba-82e0-6943e85d466b">Re: I Have an Inappropriate Question</a>:
    [QUOTE] Also - she made her BMs and GM come back 2 months later to re-take wedding pictures because she was too sweaty in them. It was awesome.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

Damn!  Didn't know that was an option. 

Some people's children, I swear.
  • I look at pictures on FB of people's wedding (three friends have married in the last week), partially for ideas, partially just out of curiousity.  I loved one of the bride's dresses, thought one was boring and plain, and can't remember the other.  I'm fine with a plain dress, but this woman has so much personality that I didn't think the dress suited her.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I'm not a huge fan of a lot of dresses (and I have no idea how dress shopping for myself will go), but I can only say I've ever known 1 person whose dress truly just didn't look right. Most of the time, even if I don't love the gown, it still suits the wearer. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • My fiance was in a wedding recently and I am ashamed to say I hated her dress, and her entire wedding style. She had a Princess-y halter style ball gown and since it was her second wedding, I expected something sexy and mature. It was actually a prom dress, and you could tell it was too. It was very very young for someone approaching her 40's.
  • Hmm.. wedding dresses not really. There have been a few "meh" ones, but nothing I really hated. BM dresses on the other hand.. yes. Sometimes it's the color (one of my friends had a light blue with brown and something about it just didn't look right to me) and sometimes it's the style. Luckily I love the dress I'm wearing next year for my friend's wedding! It's simple and cute and makes me look skinnier than I am ;-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Yay! I am not alone or crazy!  I titled this inappropriate because I obviously couldn't tell these people that I hate their dresses and I wouldn't want anyone having this discussion about mine, but at the same time, I'm sitting at the ceremony of one of these friends and in my head I'm screaming "what were you thinking?!?!  You have a 7 person bridal party PLUS family that went to pick THIS dress out, let you pick THIS dress out, nay encouraged you?!  Are they all blind?!  THIS is your DREAM dress?!"

I also agree with a lot of you, that some aren't necessarily our favorite style but generally they look good on the bride and fit her personality. 

This particular one that I mentioned earlier in my post, a friend and I have since dubbed it the comforter.  Big, poofy, not dress material and tufted in terrible areas that was all too overwhelming for the bride's petite frame. 
  • I had a hard time finding a dress that wasn't strapless.  So I bought extra fabric and am goign to work out a sleeve of sorts when I do alterations.  One because I hate the top of my arms and two bacause then I can wear a bra with clear straps and keep myself from tugging at the dress or bra all evening.
  • I"ve hated their hair:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards