Snarky Brides

Hey, come see how my former boss is still trying to screw me over.

So, today I get a letter from my former boss, basically telling me that I owe them almost $600 for a month of insurance I didn't have. 

Backstory: I became full time on Nov 10th.  At that time, I was told both by my boss and the bookkeeper that my insurance would become active on the first of the next month after 30 calendar days.  That would be Jan 1.

I turned my paperwork in on Dec 2.  December 27th I was concerned about not getting the insurance cards in the mail yet, and checked with the bookkeeper about it.  She said "Oh, they're just slow."  I had a doctor's appointment on Jan 4th, so on the 3rd, when I still hadn't received my cards, I called to make sure it was active.  It was not, b ecause the paperwork was faxed on Dec 27th.  Coincidence?

Fast forward to about a month ago.  I didn't get my PTO paid out.  I contacted the bookkeeper, didn't hear anything, so I contacted my former boss.  Found out the bookkeeper had been fired.  Boss said she'd look into it.  Now I get a letter from her saying that my insurance had actually started on Dec 1 per their contract with BCBS, and I owed them for December.

Now, clearly they didn't know this, or they would have been deducting it from my checks like they did for January.  I did not USE any insurance in December, and my paperwork wasn't even submitted until the end of the month.  How on earth can they say I owe them for a month when my PAPERWORK WASN'T EVEN SUBMITTED?

Am I out of line to tell her that I feel the company should eat it because it was their mistake?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: Hey, come see how my former boss is still trying to screw me over.

• What boss writes "bc" in an email? That irrationally bugs me.

I think you would be good in those emails. Maybe frame it as, "I understand how you could be mistaken, but I have this email where you state that it was not active until Jan 1st." blah blah.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hey-come-see-how-my-former-boss-is-still-trying-to-screw-me-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2cbc99a0-5c46-4af5-9e90-5f66e5a367acPost:807ab597-c1be-4f11-b088-1769bf2efc45">Re: Hey, come see how my former boss is still trying to screw me over.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would totally call the insurance company. One of the very first things they tell us (as a provider's office) is how long a person's policy has been active. They should be able to do that for you, too. Most insurances will probably even fax you the information so you have documentation. And I agree, you totally should not be responsible financially for their mistake.
    Posted by azdancer8[/QUOTE]

Do this 100%.  The insurance company will tell you anything about YOUR policy you need to know.  So that your aware...Insurance companies do back date policies.  For example, I can send an employee application to my ins co on March 15 and ask for that employees policy to be effective as of March 1.   Request a copy of your original application.  On the employer portion of the app if should have an "effective start date"  and if your employer wrote in the wrong date it is their mistake not yours, therefore they have to pay...NOT you.
  • That e-mail backs you up 100%.  Your insurance wasn't active for December, therefore there's nothing to pay for for December.  I highly doubt they'd take you to court. It's small enough that it'd be small claims court, so you shouldn't need a lawyer. And because they'd be taking you, they'd pay the court fees.  Plus you have documentation that says it wasn't active on one of the last days of the month.  THey have no leg to stand on.
  • Oh, good idea to actually request a copy of my application.  Thanks!

• What a jerkoff. I am sorry this lady is STILL being such an ass to you. I don't think you have to pay it. That's my non-pro advice. Good luck JK!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hey-come-see-how-my-former-boss-is-still-trying-to-screw-me-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:2cbc99a0-5c46-4af5-9e90-5f66e5a367acPost:241e946c-99c8-4d53-a422-492f72af2cb8">Re: Hey, come see how my former boss is still trying to screw me over.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Assuming that gets resolved peacefully, will you be able to get your PTO paid out?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to go toe to toe over that if she relents on the insurance, btu I'm certainly going to ask for it.  If she DID take us to court, I would absolutely also ask for my PTO.

• It's only 6 hours, so while it would be nice to have, it's not worth a heated battle if the insurance gets resolved, KWIM?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards