Snarky Brides

Talk dirty to me...

What are you planning to plant this year if you garden? Lets chit chat about gardening.

I chose my tomato transplants this weekend. Because I have a wedding on our long weekend in may (planting weekend), I am ordering mine in advance so I can pick them up during the week instead of go in the morning for the tomato event at the farm where I get my heirloom plants. For tomatoes I am gonna do Great White, Snow White, Black Cherry, Striped Monastery, Hillbilly, Carbon, Green Giant, Rose & Bush Beefsteak (with Yellow Brandywine and Green Doctors as my backups in case any of those sell out). I also have 16 garlics already planted, I plan to do green onions again (which failed terribly last year) up on the deck instead of in the garden but I dont know what else to plant in my boxes. I also might try to get my hands on some more clematis plants to edge our fence in, I love when they grow all over the fence and look divine.

What about you?

Re: Talk dirty to me...

• Nothing :(  I'm hoping once I quit my job I'll have time to have a garden again.  I loved all the fresh vegetables.  H did just get me a lemon tree for v-day, though, so we'll see how it does. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    We found a random hydrangea bloom in our garden last summer which we never planted. Just one little bloom. So bizarre. I'd like to clean up the flower garden a bit and plant some daisies and make it look a bit more wild. Its pretty established so I never much bother with it but I might this year.
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talk-dirty-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3ce94467-b8f1-4ea0-b7a4-f03130be6411Post:a1f1b063-a351-4f54-998d-7de43715ac57">Re: Talk dirty to me...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nothing :(  I'm hoping once I quit my job I'll have time to have a garden again.  I loved all the fresh vegetables.  H did just get me a lemon tree for v-day, though, so we'll see how it does. 
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

What would you plant if you could?
  • Well I'm first trying to order some plant boxes for our deck.  That will help me determine how much space I have to plant.  I do know that everything I will be planting will be edible.

I'd like to get a long planter like this and plant a bunch of different herbs.

Then I'll get some smaller ones and hopefully plant more peppers (they did well last year) and maybe some lettuce.

I have a small deck and minimal sunlight, so it's hard for me to do much.  But I'll make the most of it.

And I'll do tomatoes if I can figure out how to protect them from the little effing squirrel that ate them ALL last year.
  • edited March 2012
    We're planting tomatoes (Mr. Stripey and an undetermined cherry), cucumbers, peas, green beans, habanero peppers, hot banana peppers and maybe some green leaf lettuce. The dog sat on it last year, and neither of us were too keen on eating ass lettuce.

We also have an herb garden every year. It has rosemary, basil, dill and cilantro. There's some wild garlic growing next to our pond, so we've never had to buy it.
  • Our garden (and by "our" I mean "H") is getting pretty big. H planted a bunch of stuff earlier in the season and jsut recently some sprouts. Some of it is testing to see how well they grow, but hell, it's Florida and stuff grows all year long. My contributions are limited to weeding and picking fresh stuff for salads, and sometimes helping with planting.

In the big garden:
    4 types of lettuce
    Broccoli
    Collards
    Spinach
    Mustard
    Kale
    Corn
    Potatoes
    Green beans
    Peas

In the tiny greenhouse/lean-to:
    More bean/corn/pea sprouts
    Random plant cuttings

Around the property:
    Grapes (nothing from them yet)
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Olive tree (still little)
    Persimmon (still little)
    Fig trees
    Orange/Lemon/Lime/Grapefruit trees
  • NebbNebb member
    Garlic is wicked easy, I like to get big heads of local garlic, you break it up and plant each clove pointy end up in the late fall. Cover it with leaves and mulch and let it do its thing until the following summer. Once the lower 2 "leaves" are dried and brown you're supposed to harvest them, let them dry out and you're good to go. I did mine in the spring last year and they didn't get very big so I planted in the fall for this year.
  • Im so damn excited about my garden this year its not even funny.  I am planting everything. 
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • NebbNebb member
    Wow sesh, just wow lol. We have a grape vine on our fence and someone in the neighborhood always takes care of it (prunes it when it needs to be pruned) and then uses the grapes for wine and jam. She always gives us a few jars.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talk-dirty-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3ce94467-b8f1-4ea0-b7a4-f03130be6411Post:64f85d3a-2a9a-4308-bd7c-3b33d626a58e">Re: Talk dirty to me...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Talk dirty to me... : What would you plant if you could?
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

Not tomatoes.  I think they hate me.  We've had success in the past with green beans, green onions, broccoli, peppers, and herbs.  I'd like to try zucchini, because I've only recently started liking it.  Carrots do not grow at all at our house but they grow like crazy out at my mom's.  My horse has figured out how to reach through the fence and pull them out.  I'd also like to try cucumbers for making pickles.  I also like growing giant sunflowers just because they're pretty.

• i'm going crazy this year. Turns out, when I go a few years without gardening I lose all sense of moderation. I'm going to be one busy girl this summer.

Tomatoes:
          Big Boy
          Roma
          Mortgage Lifter
          Super Sweet 100
          Red Cherry

Cucumber:
          Picklebush

Bean:
          Tenderette

Pea:
          Green Arrow

Kale:
          Red Russian

Lettuce:
          Simpson Elite
          Lollo Rosso
          Little Caesar

Onion:
          Evergreen long bunching

Broccoli:
          Waltham 29

Cauliflower:
          Snowball Y

Carrots:
          Little Finger

Peppers:
          Rainbow Assortment

Eggplant:
          Burpee's Gourmet Blend (4 varieties)

Squash:
          Winter Squash (spaghetti)
          Butternut

Pumpkins:
          Jack Be Little

• I would like to get H a small greenhouse-type structure. He loves to garden, and he always wants to start early in the year.
  • NebbNebb member
    For herbs I will probably do oregano, thyme, rosemary, maybe basil but NOT dill. I have issues with dill every freaking year. Mine was thriving last summer for once and then got frigging aphids.
  • My cousin does landscape architecture so he is pretty much an expert with this stuff.  He has an amazing flower garden.  Like, im envious of it.  I really want to try one.  Maybe next year.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • NebbNebb member
    The last time I did cucumbers we had a super wet summer and I couldn't keep up with them, they grew too fast and it was a waste. I was not a fan.
  • And now I want to plant some broccoli.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talk-dirty-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3ce94467-b8f1-4ea0-b7a4-f03130be6411Post:f2994fbf-1e22-45a6-826b-8f39ee337fc8">Re: Talk dirty to me...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tomatoes Cucumber Pole beans Broccoli Green Pepper Red Pepper Beets Cabbage Spinach Onions Lettuce Carrots Zucchini Mine it based off of this, with a few substitutions. <a href="http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/funstuff/7222/plant-a-compact-vegetable-garden/" rel="nofollow">http://boyslife.org/hobbies-projects/funstuff/7222/plant-a-compact-vegetable-garden/</a>
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

Duds, are you also making the ply wood square? I pinned this and I think i want to do this since I have minimal yard space. When will you go buy the plants?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The garden is all H's doing, nebb. I can't claim to have done much other than some minor planting and watering. H definitely has the magic touch. He doesn't use anything to help the plants grow other than water and compost, and his produce looks awesome.

But I love looking out at the garden and seeing all the veggies and whatnot. And the fruit trees are the landlords. We just enjoy them. I really want to plant cucumbers for me, and tomatoes for H. We used to have tomato and pepper plants but I think they either died or the squirrels got them all.
  • NebbNebb member
    I loooooooooove succulents. Ive always wanted to plant them but I just... never do for some reason. I want to do some big leafy plants for the deck and maybe get some big ferns to hang from the hangers we have beside the doors. The only issue with that is we get bad spiders in the backyard (if I dont catch them, which I never do but always try to) and they suspend between plants and trees and if you arent careful you walk face first into them. Im constantly at war with those damn spiders.
  • Here is my list:
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Onion
    Tomatoes
    Eggplant
    Peppers
    Parley
    Basil
    Beans
    Corn
    Cucumbers
    Melons
    Pumpkins
    Summer Squash
    Winter Squash
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have no idea what H is planning for the garden this year, but he's got like 50 or 60 plugs with seeds started already. I'm the landscaper of the family. This year, I'm planning to dig up everything in our front beds and start over again. It needs a new look.
  • NebbNebb member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_talk-dirty-to-me?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:3ce94467-b8f1-4ea0-b7a4-f03130be6411Post:7c5daad5-ec9a-487d-85e0-3c261f9e3470">Re: Talk dirty to me...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have no idea what H is planning for the garden this year, but he's got like 50 or 60 plugs with seeds started already. I'm the landscaper of the family. This year, I'm planning to dig up everything in our front beds and start over again. It needs a new look.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]
    any idea what you will plant?
  • Oh, the garden.

When we moved into the house, the previous owners had transformed the back yard into some kind of "woodland paradise" full of wildflowers and vines and stuff. The problem is that they went into the ravines and harvested all of these crazy invasive plants that we now can't get rid of. Last fall, we basically waited for a good freeze and then chopped a bunch of stuff down, ripped stuff out of the lawn, etc. Stuff STILL GREW. Now we need to attack again in the spring.

I don't know what to do with this stuff, especially now that so many plant killers are banned here. Vinegar doesn't help, Round-Up is useless...I'm losing my mind. I'd like to get more grass in the yard and maybe plant some more trees/shrubs to try and minimize the maintenance. I don't know. I'm so lost. If I can get the weed-flowers under control, I'd like to try and plant some veggies.
  • H found a random watermelon growing out of the compost pile not too long ago. It was really weird. We don't even remember the last time we had watermelon, but I guess the seeds took root. It was the world's smallest watermelon though, but we're waiting to see if more grow.

We also have herbs, but I don't know which ones. Mint and basil for sure.
  • Does anyone else have problems with powdery mildew on their cucumbers? Ours get it every single year, but not until later in the season.
  • I only have the deck to work with, we have woods surrounding our house so very little sun. I tried tomatoes a year or so ago, but no luck,not enough sun.

I stick to herbs. Oregano, rosemary, and this year I will be growing a lot of mint. We would love to have more, but it just doesnt work. I stick to my flowers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Speaking of flowers, Anyone know of some pretty, bright, flowers that would go great in the flower boxes on my deck?  I'd like something that will hang down a bit (maybe a 1/2 metre+) Preferably not a huge bee attractor since the boxes border where our picnic table is.  Annual or Perennial
  • This is maybe a stupid question but for you northern ladies, do you actually start from seed or do you go buy the plants? I don't have a great window but I suppose it is getting sunnier and warmer where I am (50 degree high today, woop!). A coworker thinks I just need to go to the green house and buy plants, especially since it's my first year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sesh, my dad also just found a random watermelon on the horse poop pile!  It's right next to his garden and he tosses all of his scraps over there, but it's been awhile since he had watermelon.

• Anna, we hang fuchsias ever year. They also come in light pink. They hang nicely over the edge of our baskets.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards