Snarky Brides
Options

Crazy torontonians!

13»

Re: Crazy torontonians!

• Options
    Uh. Oh.
  • Options

Got it. I can't reply to PMs, so you won't get a response. But thanks for the heads up. :)

• Options
    Anytime.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I know this thread is half dead but I had to post this link...

for those who need a visual of what it means to have a G8/G20 meeting in your city...
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I still cant believe how intense the whole weekend was, its not something we will (likely) see here again, atleast for a long time. Im curious what you think of how this weekend went down number (re: how the police reacted, etc).
  • Options
    I don't know...I have mixed feelings on it all.

I get people's problems with G8/G20. But I also think that the global economic scene is incredibly complex. I don't think that it as simple as some people make it out to be and I think that the current system is definitely flawed and that many people in the world suffer as a result of the decisions made by a select few. But I don't think that there is a simple answer for how to solve it.

So that being said, I get why people protest. What I don't get is why the violence is necessary. But more importantly, I believe that a very large portion of the people who protested had NO real understanding of what they were protesting. I think some of them had a general idea and other were just shiit disturbers and frankly, that pisses me off.

I think that it is ridiculous how much money the whole shebang cost. I think that it is ridiculous that I had to be stuck on Hwy 11/401 by Orillia because they had to close it for the motorcades. I think that it is ridiculous that the leaders couldn't use the city center island airport and instead caused the closure of the highways for the third day in four days. I think it is ridiculous that the city of Toronto (the province as a whole) had no say in hosting it but has to foot the bill. I think the Federal government should have to pay.

I believe in free speech but I believe you should know what you are talking about when you speak. I believe in organized government but I believe that it is also responsibly for looking out for those who are struggling. 

I guess that about sums it up, for me at least.
  • Options
    oh, as for Police reactions and stuff. FI's cousin is a police officer and he was down there. I was talking to him before he left and I know that cops get a bad rap but really, I think the majority of them don't want the violence to happen and most of them also aren't really well trained for these types of situations. There were lots of cops and lots of protesters too. I think it would be scary for both groups.

FI's solution: draw a line on the ground. Tell people they can't cross it. If they do, shoot them.  Sigh...so simple for boys isn't it.
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_crazy-torontonians?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3df4db91-3ab5-43d9-9258-0fe63d2f749dPost:9b40fa7c-1bff-45dc-bbf7-f32e9c1ac062">Re: Crazy torontonians!</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh, as for Police reactions and stuff. FI's cousin is a police officer and he was down there. I was talking to him before he left and I know that cops get a bad rap but really, I think the majority of them don't want the violence to happen and most of them also aren't really well trained for these types of situations. There were lots of cops and lots of protesters too. I think it would be scary for both groups. FI's solution: <strong>draw a line on the ground. Tell people they can't cross it. If they do, shoot them.  Sigh...so simple for boys isn't it.</strong>
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]
    Hah that sounds so simple but so many people would still cross, and then throw a fit if they did get shot. The thing I think is stupid is that everyone knew what would get you arrested this weekend and when a cop gives you a warning - you listen. I have heard that many of the people who were arrested (normal protesters) were because they were told to do something specific like leave the area and refused after a number of warnings. I think its completely warranted for the cops to use whatever force necessary to secure the area and detain those who are breaking hte law. BUT everyone wants to do whatever they want with no consequences, so its not a big surprise that people are up in arms over being arrested/how they were treated. I have to laugh at the people crying out about the "deplorable" conditions of the dentention centre. Its jail people, its not a 4star hotel!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards