Snarky Brides
Options

Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?

I feel like I think about what happens when you die more than the average person. I know that I'm crazy but I blame my work. I continually meet people who are dying and every time I dwell on it and get angry and sad and it leads me to always think about what happens after death.

I have been thinking about it even more so this week because a friend from High School's little brother just died in a motorcycle accident. He was 25. No fault of his - another driver didn't see him and turned into him. He was a marine and served in Iraq twice. His family was probably worried constantly about him while he was over there. But then he was home and safe and died on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I just can't believe that he just ends there - I have to believe that something happens.

So can we talk about it? What do you think happens after you die? What do you want to happen? Do you think what happens is different for everyone? Do you believe that we all have souls that are separate from our physical being?

Annnd just for good measure. Do you think that the world will ever end?
Photobucket

Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?

• Options
    barbbhowwbarbbhoww member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    This gets to be heated..and I'll just put my 2 cents in.  I believe that if you have faith in Jesus and you believe that he died so that you could be free...I know I know that isn't what other people believe but I think that our souls DO live on forever.  I like to tell people that I'd rather believe NOW then to find out it is true when it is TOO late.

BUT I'm not a Jesus-pusher.  So I'll stop there.  (But it is Good Friday and Jesus did die today!) :)

I do believe the world will end.  It is written in the bible, books, history, calendars ect. ect. but not sure if anybody REALLY knows when.
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think the world as we know it may end at some point.

I believe that there exists a soul in addition to the body. I also believe in an afterlife. I think that "Heaven" is just a complete sense of peace and happiness. Therefore, I think that it will vary some from person to person. Different souls have different indentities and would prefer different thinks, I think. I am Catholic. So I do believe in Heaven, Hell and Purgatory. I believe that hell is simply a state of knowing that God exists and that you (general) will never be with him by choice. For some people that might be devastating, for others it might not matter. I believe that purgatory is the state of knowing that God exists and that you will be with him after reflection and after desiring to be with him. I think Heaven is the prescence of God and is therefore for people that desire the prescence of that God. I think "day to day life" (silly concept in a timeless world, but you get the point) is roughly the same for all three. It's the state of knowledge and the emotions regarding it that change.

That said, I think that the overwhelming majority of all people on Earth go to heaven or purgatory. I also don't think that purgatory is punishment. It just makes sense to me for someone to want to begin to desire being in Gods prescence to be in heaven, given my beliefs. I believe that very few people go to "hell" and those people are genuinely happiest there. Again, I don't think it's really about punishment.

Those are just my beliefs. I may be wrong, I may be right. I won't find out until I die. And my beliefs don't negatively impact others, and others don't negatively impact me. So I dislike when people get into debates on the subject. It's a subject where different opinions don't really affect the grand scheme of things. Whatever the afterlife or lack of it is, there's no chaning it now.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'll just outright say that I go to church every Sunday...minus the days I'm sick. I'm not gonna push my beliefs on anybody, but I do think that the soul lives on forever and people really do go to Heaven. And I feel that the world is going to end...there's "signs" everywhere, but I hardly believe in the Mayan prophecy of 2012. IMO (and per an article that I read), the math and numerical system differences don't add up to being 2012. I can't remember if it's supposed to be later or if it should have already happened, but I do remember that the "simple math" this man used to disprove it made absolute sense to me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This can get very heated, I was raised catholic and now my fiance' has brought me closer to God and Jesus.  I truly believe that if you have accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and truly try to live your life the way Jesus Taught us that your soul will live forever in the kingdom of God.  What that Kingdom is like no man can guess as it's beyond what our brains can comprehend. 

I truly believe that Death is not an ending but a beginning, and that as the Toby Keith Song goes "I'm not crying because I feel so sorry for you, I'm crying for me."

I am probably more of a Jesus pusher than barbbhoww is, but I also respect other peoples view on God and Jesus, and the afterlife.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  And I am always will to share my experiences with Jesus and God.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • Options
    SEWFSEWF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION HERE!

I believe in reincarnation. I believe that you can be reincarnated as many times as you want, achieving goals and becoming a better soul. I believe that once your soul is perfected, you can go on to heaven. I believe in a all-loving God, but I don't believe it's some guy in the sky. I believe God is a sense of love and peace.

I believe that bad people, like Hitler, are souls that have turned away from that love and peace. Eventually, they will find their way back, but it will take quite a few reincarnations.

I HOPE this is what happens. I'm scared of there being just a vast nothingness or of there not being a "me" after I die. But from some of the things I've experienced, I believe in an afterlife.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    As many of you know, I've always been enchanted by my Cherokee heritage. The spirituality fascinates me, and I would love nothing more than to encounter the Bridge of the Dead, the Spirit World, the Land of the Dead, or any other part of what makes up life after death.

That being said, I can't say for sure that I 100% believe in it. I don't believe in a god, or at least, not one overall God, but I do believe in a kind of Creator that has spirits in all living things. I take the Pocahontas approach, everything has a soul/spirit, even the trees and rocks. But, I WANT to believe in that kind of afterlife. I'm not sure how to do that.

As for the world ending, I believe that one day it will, in a sense. Not necessarily the entire planet will explode, but the population will take it's toll and need a mass exodus. Whether by plague or astroid, it's going to happen one way or the other.
  • Options
    SEWFSEWF member
    Oh, and I do believe that the world will end. That part is basic science. I also believe that "the world" can end many times over. Societies change, there are droughts, famines, genocides. I also believe "worlds" end when people die, meaning that our individual "worlds" end.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    OOTB I find your perspective really interesting. I've never thought of things that way.

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:928fde2d-0b14-44a1-b7b7-efad1e5c2810">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll just outright say that I go to church every Sunday...minus the days I'm sick. I'm not gonna push my beliefs on anybody, but I do think that the soul lives on forever and people really do go to Heaven. And I feel that the world is going to end...there's "signs" everywhere, but I hardly believe in the Mayan prophecy of 2012. IMO (and per an article that I read), the math and numerical system differences don't add up to being 2012. I can't remember if it's supposed to be later or if it should have already happened, but I do remember that the "simple math" this man used to disprove it made absolute sense to me.
    Posted by Dana1116[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you will read this again, but I'm facinated with the 2012 profficy.  Never have I really beleived it and as I become closer to God and learn the bible more I see that there are prophesies in the bible that Jesus has yet to fullfill.  I am excited to get to the book of revelations part of my bible reading schedule.
  • Options
    Sewf - I like that idea too. But I also don't like the idea of losing who I am ya know? Like if I'm reincarnated do all my memories and essential "me-ness" go away?

Stacy here is my question for you (coming from a place of curiousity) - what about people who were never given the option to believe in Jesus and accept him as their saviour? Like babies or people without the mental capacity to understand that - or think about Native Americans who never heard of Jesus. What do you think happens to them?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Sesh you are totally Pocahantas and I love it.

I think for me I definitely believe in a soul and in an afterlife. My ideal would be something like "The 5 People you Meet in Heaven" - where your life is explained and questions are answered and then you are reunited with loved ones and live on in your happy place so to speak. I do believe in a loving and forgiving God. I think that this God can look different to different people and be found in different ways - perhaps through organized religion or through nature or through whatever. I think that helps me believe in an afterlife in which we are reunited with the people we love and are happy and at peace.

Follow up question: Do you think that in whatever afterlife you believe in that you can feel physical contact? I know that I hope you can. I really like hugs.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:46ce56a7-49b5-4b25-8ae3-5f5bd2554a5e">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and I do believe that the world will end. That part is basic science. I also believe that "the world" can end many times over. Societies change, there are droughts, famines, genocides. I also believe "worlds" end when people die, meaning that our individual "worlds" end.
    Posted by SEWF[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all accounts.

I believe in a soul and some form of afterlife. I don't know if that afterlife is in the form of heaven, living in the stars, reincarnation, etc. but I do believe there is something after the body dies. I don't believe you need to subscribe to a religious dogma to go to a good afterlife or that accepting religious dogma seconds before death erases bad acts done during life.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:08c8f24b-ff6c-41ce-88d8-cab1be3650c5">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife? : I don't know if you will read this again, but I'm facinated with the 2012 profficy.  Never have I really beleived it and as I become closer to God and learn the bible more I see that there are prophesies in the bible that Jesus has yet to fullfill.  I am excited to get to the book of revelations part of my bible reading schedule.
    Posted by StacyJenniges[/QUOTE]
    Oh I check up on posts I've been a part of...just to see if there was any feedback from things I said. While I do find the prophecy to be extremely facinating...I don't believe several aspects of the "Mayan perspective". I do admire your excitement about reading the Bible, and I do agree that there are things that Jesus has yet to carry out. Maybe that'll be the 2012 prophecy, maybe it won't. Who's to say 'til the time comes closer
  • Options
    Well, I don't believe in any gods or afterlife. What I think happens is that your body decays and breaks down into its baser parts. To me, it's already incredibly profound to know that the atoms that I consist of once belonged to stars, to creatures that existed millions of years ago, and that I'm already intrinsically connected to everything in the entire universe. I don't need a God that may or may not exist and the promise of a glorious afterlife to not fear death. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:4c391b4a-aa36-450c-a8d0-12161ead010b">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sewf - I like that idea too. But I also don't like the idea of losing who I am ya know? Like if I'm reincarnated do all my memories and essential "me-ness" go away? Stacy here is my question for you (coming from a place of curiousity) - what about people who were never given the option to believe in Jesus and accept him as their saviour? Like babies or people without the mental capacity to understand that - or think about Native Americans who never heard of Jesus. What do you think happens to them?
    Posted by pixiedust84[/QUOTE]

Actually very good question, I do beleive and from what I understand the bible says this in the book of revelations I beleive (I may be wrong about this) that children are automatically accepted into the kingdom of god.  When the rapture happens all children (I don't think there's an age limit child at heart) are raptued with the true believers.  I beleive that those without the mental capacity to undersand fall under this category. 

The part about native Americans, and I know you aren't singling them out you are just using that Culture group as an example.  This is a part I have a hard time with and me and my fiance actually have dicussions about.  I can honestly say I don't know, I have such a hard time with God not letting a good person into heaven.  but I do believe the bible to be FACT.  It's a strugle and I'm sorry I cann't answer this part of your question. 
  • Options
    Something I've always wondered...

If you believe that you go to heaven, and you marry twice out of love (say 1st husband dies), who are you with in heaven? Or are all of your relationships in this world tossed out the window and you start over?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:2c174e25-a99b-49b8-86bd-f9dea7c81423">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Something I've always wondered... If you believe that you go to heaven, and you marry twice out of love (say 1st husband dies), who are you with in heaven? Or are all of your relationships in this world tossed out the window and you start over?
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]
    TBH, I never thought about that before. I guess...if you believe that you go to Heaven and you married twice due to a death then you go to Heaven with both? I'm not really sure <em>how</em> or <em>what </em>I think about that. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:37ffdd02-7539-4891-95bd-03c3d86149ed">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife? : Actually very good question, I do beleive and from what I understand the bible says this in the book of revelations I beleive (I may be wrong about this) that children are automatically accepted into the kingdom of god.  When the rapture happens all children (I don't think there's an age limit child at heart) are raptued with the true believers.  I beleive that those without the mental capacity to undersand fall under this category.  The part about native Americans, and I know you aren't singling them out you are just using that Culture group as an example.  This is a part I have a hard time with and me and my fiance actually have dicussions about.  I can honestly say I don't know, I have such a hard time with God not letting a good person into heaven.  but I do believe the bible to be FACT.  It's a strugle and I'm sorry I cann't answer this part of your question. 

No it's okay - Obviously none of us have all the answers! It's a hard thing to wrap your head around.

Any I don't know that I fear dying so much as I fear not living. Whatever happens I imagine that when I die I'll be at peace, but I just struggle with the thought of just being over. I probably won't struggle with that as much when I'm 90 but for now while there's still so much I want to do I can't quite wrap my head around that. Also I fear losing loved ones and I fear never being reunited with the loved ones I've already lost.

Thinking about it makes my head spin a little.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I do believe we all have a soul.  I also believe in an afterlife, specifically heaven and hell.  I think that our actions in this life are indicative of our true natures, which determine where we end up after death.  I also believe in free will and believe that we have the freedom to make choices that lead us to Heaven or Hell.

I agree with other posters that Heaven is being in the presence of God and, naturally, that some people want to turn away from this.  It makes me sad to think that some wouldn't want to experience the kind of love and acceptance I associate with God, but that's the beauty of free will.  We aren't slaves.

Pixie, to answer your question to another poster, I do believe that people who were not exposed to the message of Jesus are able to go to Heaven.  I can't believe God would punish people for no fault of their own (like the fact that they died before baptism, etc).  I also believe there are many paths to God, though, and that we each need to find the right one for us.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:9f93f4d5-4bc3-4482-bb7d-ecd02309332b">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife? : Oh I check up on posts I've been a part of...just to see if there was any feedback from things I said. While I do find the prophecy to be extremely facinating...I don't believe several aspects of the "Mayan perspective". I do admire your excitement about reading the Bible, and I do agree that there are things that Jesus has yet to carry out. Maybe that'll be the 2012 prophecy, maybe it won't. Who's to say 'til the time comes closer

Thank you,  this talking about my faith is new to me and all though I have always beleived in Jesus and the bible I'm embarking on a new sometimes scary journey with my strengthened faith.  At times because I feel like a new beleive entirely because as being a catholic we are not encuraged to read the bible.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:2c174e25-a99b-49b8-86bd-f9dea7c81423">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Something I've always wondered... If you believe that you go to heaven, and you marry twice out of love (say 1st husband dies), who are you with in heaven? Or are all of your relationships in this world tossed out the window and you start over?

Oh my goodness I've always wondered the same thing. I always tell fi that if I die I want him to find happiness and love again but I want him to hang out with me in heaven.

I guess maybe in heaven there's just enough love and things like jealousy don't exist?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm Catholic, and I also believe in heaven, purgatory and hell. I try not to think about who might go where, because that's absolutly not where I think people should place any judgment on others, whatsoever. I can't stand Christians who talk about what people will most likely go to hell, and who will "be saved and go to heaven." It's not our business to even think about that, IMO. I had a coworker who was "born again Christian," and he talked about how "most people I know will probably go to hell." The self-righteousness was overflowing...

I think that souls (even animal souls) live on forever, and are "reborn" again into people over and over. I think humans are charged with doing the work of God on Earth. I suppose this is weird to think as a Catholic, but I believe it. I mean, what would be our purpose in Heaven? What would we do? God's work is here on Earth where there is so much suffering. I have a friend who was hypnotized and she learned about 3 supposed past lives she had had, and she felt that she found out why she was drawn to certain places, things, etc. that had previously made no sense to her.
    My favorite concept from the Bible is something along the lines of us being judged in the end, not by how much we pray, go to church, memorize Bible verses, or how we label our faith, but by how we treat "the least of us," because that it where Jesus can be found: in the "least of us, the least of people" meaning the homeless, the angry, the lost, the criminals, etc etc. I suppose this is weird to think as a Catholic, but I believe it.

And, I think the world will end. this is mostly a science-based belief. I think God created the world, and all things biological, the Earth, the universe. I don't see them as seperate: I see God and the evolution of the Earth to be intimately connected.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker < br > Planning Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:2c174e25-a99b-49b8-86bd-f9dea7c81423">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:

This is  a good question and one that is actually adressed in the bible,  I know it's in the new testament as Jesus tells the story.  I don't know the story completely, but it basically says that in heaven our worldly relationships no longer exhists, but replaces it is something that our human brains cannot comprehend.  But I do think that your question is one reason some who loses husband 1 do not re-marry for fear of what happens in the afterlife with the two loves. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:14ffd4c6-3d92-4794-abd1-a8d9acb92c31">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife? : Thank you,  this talking about my faith is new to me and all though I have always beleived in Jesus and the bible I'm embarking on a new sometimes scary journey with my strengthened faith.  At times because I feel like a new beleive entirely because as being a catholic we are not encuraged to read the bible.
    Well, I'll open myself to you. If you ever want to talk about your journey then please feel free. I myself was brought up Lutheran and continue in the same church...we're not encouraged or discouraged to read the Bible. Our pastor openly says that we don't need to know it forwards and backwards or else he wouldn't have a reason to give a sermon every week.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:27bdf652-f1b4-4482-99a1-fcb0281aacb6">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong> I try not to think about who might go where, because that's absolutly not where I think people should place any judgment on others, whatsoever. I can't stand Christians who talk about what people will most likely go to hell, and who will "be saved and go to heaven." It's not our business to even think about that</strong>, Posted by cdavislynn[/QUOTE]

I wanted to point this part of your post out because I beleive you are absolutly right, it doesn't not matter who we think should go to heaven or hell we are not the judge of that only GOD in his three forms "The Father, the Son and the holly spirit" judge who joins the kingdom of heaven and not.  No one but God knows what is in everyone's heart. 
  • Options
    AnysunriseAnysunrise member
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:12db62d5-d430-477b-ba57-3bb3060f55d8">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife? : No it's okay - Obviously none of us have all the answers! It's a hard thing to wrap your head around. Any I don't know that I fear dying so much as I fear not living. Whatever happens I imagine that when I die I'll be at peace, but I just struggle with the thought of just being over. I probably won't struggle with that as much when I'm 90 but for now while there's still so much I want to do I can't quite wrap my head around that. Also I fear losing loved ones and I fear never being reunited with the loved ones I've already lost. Thinking about it makes my head spin a little.
    Posted by pixiedust84[/QUOTE]

<div>See, all of that is just reason to live life to its fullest while you can. Why should whether or not there's an afterlife dictate that? Honestly, I think people who believe in heaven and the like would be more likely not to appreciate the time they're given; afterall, why treasure each moment with your loved ones if you're going to spend eternity with them anyways? It just doesn't make sense for me, to live life that way. I get that it makes death easier to deal with, but life would be kind of pointless if it never ended. </div><div>
    </div><div>My other problem with the Biblical heaven and hell concepts is that an eternity of anything, be it extreme happiness or torture, would eventuallybe boring. You appreciate the good things in life because not everything is good. I'm pretty sure I'd get tired of heaven after a couple decades, and even hell would be pointless after a while. </div>
  • Options
    KW, I think the next life is so vastly different from this one.  I think in Heaven, we're just beings of joy and there is no marriage, etc.  That's why, IMO, the vows are "till death do us part" or "till the end of our days"--I don't think a marriage lasts into the next life.  So, while we'll be with the ones we love, it will be a new life.

I do hope that in the afterlife we get to learn all of the secrets we never got to know here.  I really wonder about historic events and I'd love to know the explanation, but I imagine it just won't matter to us at that point.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:36401334-edf7-434d-abc8-52014546bae5">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife? : Well, I'll open myself to you. If you ever want to talk about your journey then please feel free. I myself was brought up Lutheran and continue in the same church...we're not encouraged or discouraged to read the Bible. Our pastor openly says that we don't need to know it forwards and backwards or else he wouldn't have a reason to give a sermon every week.

Thank you very much.  I actually don't think that it's possible to know it forwards and backwards, your pastor knows it better than you and I most likely but i"m srue he will say he learns new things all the time.  but he is right pastors are there to guide us and help us understand the bible, other wise we would just have a bible and no need for church but to worship in groups.
  • Options
    Any, I see what you're saying.  At the same time, I don't think I appreciate my time here or my loved ones any less than someone who doesn't believe in the afterlife would.  I just don't think that's a fair assumption.  IMO, that's like saying someone wouldn't treat their families with as much kindness becuase they don't believe in Jesus or Krishna or some higher power.
  • Options
    AnysunriseAnysunrise member
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-talk-deep-stuff-like-afterlife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:485b45bd-d536-4cdd-8fff-8fba6b9d0a1ePost:3397da2b-ad79-4f66-88c9-7f6e046a31c1">Re: Can we talk about deep stuff? Like the afterlife?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any, I see what you're saying.  At the same time, I don't think I appreciate my time here or my loved ones any less than someone who doesn't believe in the afterlife would.  I just don't think that's a fair assumption.  IMO, that's like saying someone wouldn't treat their families with as much kindness becuase they don't believe in Jesus or Krishna or some higher power.
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

<div>I said I thought it would be more likely, not that it was an absolute =P And I doubt it would be a conscious thought either. ETA: I also disagree with your example. There's no logical reason for one to believe there was a correlation between the two unless you think religion is the basis for morality. It's perfectly logical to not fully appreciate every moment together if you know it'll never end, and it doesn't make you a bad person, I just don't understand that particular life choice.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards