Snarky Brides
Options

Well, this just made me feel sad.

LINKY

This happened about 45 mins away from me. Following a domestic disturbance a mother drove her car off a boat launch and into the Hudson River with 4 children in the car. All died except for the 10 yr old son who escaped from the car and ran for help.

I am just disgusted. It's unknown whether she suffered from mental illness (though I can't understand how she COULDN'T have been). The children who died were aged 5, 2, and 11 months.

Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.

• Options
    These kinds of things make me sick!!!

There is a very special place in hell for them right now and I hope good ole Lucifer is shoving that pitchfork so far up their ass they think its sunny outside!

Biitches!!

• Options
    That's terrible. It's one thing to want to take your own life. But your kids too? That makes me sad.

But to play Devil's advocate, maybe she thought 
    "i'm going to kill myself, I don't want my children with thier Father they'll have a much worse life, so I'll take them with me when I kill myself"

Not saying that I think it's okay, or not sad. But just maybe this was her thought process?
  • Options
    So hard to read. We had a similar story where a mom threw her two kids off of a bridge and the son survived by clinging to his sister's floating body. That stuck with me for a long time. I could not imagine being a sole survivor of anything like this, let alone when one is so young.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I was just reading about this. It is so awful. LTZ, do you remember that woman who got loaded, got in her minivan with her kids and nieces, drove the wrong way down the Thruway, and killed them and some inniocent victims? This made me think of them. I am sure both moms are together in a very warm, fiery place right now.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm just horrified. I mean, this isn't the first time a story like this has been reported. In the article I linked, there was a reference made to an incident in 2006 where a mother drove her minivan off a 300ft cliff with her kids in the car. Though, somehow the kids survived that.

It's just not fair. My heart aches for those kids. Drowning to me, is just one of the worst way to die.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:c0dfbabe-d590-4b2d-a3b1-ef391fc1afd2">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]These kinds of things make me sick!!! <strong>There is a very special place in hell for them right now and I hope good ole Lucifer is shoving that pitchfork so far up their ass they think its sunny outside! Biitches!!</strong>
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

<div>wow. Rage much? </div><div>
    </div><div>I have to agree with LTZ.  I don't understand how the mom *couldn't* have been suffering from some kind of mental illness.  I'd hope God (if he/she exists) is a little more compassionate than that.</div>
  • Options
    We talked about this this morning in my Ethics class... very heartbreaking. And how do you even try to explain the situation to the 10 year old?!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:c875ed3c-5df6-4dac-9dd0-952f1e6c6023">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is so horrible. :( <strong>I</strong> <strong>can't imagine things being so bad that you'd want your children to die along with you. 
    </strong>Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

I wish she would have reached out...or if any of her friends known encourage her to get help....
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    Yeah this was all over the news this morning. They had a psychiatrist on who believes with a child as young as 11 months she might have been dealing with post-partum depression.

And I also think it was being said she was being abused. Maybe she felt it was her only way to free herself and her kids. Sad!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:456b85e4-dd59-4f2f-9052-93b7c5ed519d">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well, this just made me feel sad. : wow. Rage much?  I have to agree with LTZ.  I don't understand how the mom *couldn't* have been suffering from some kind of mental illness. <strong> I'd hope God (if he/she exists) is a little more compassionate than that.</strong>
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, I agree with this, and what Crash said about possible skewed logic (thinking she was saving the kids from a life of abuse). I think she was out of her mind with suffering, not maliciously homicidal.</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I do remember that Alli. That was horrific.

Steph, there was a comment somewhere (I think in the comments of that link) that she could have also been on or had just stopped taking meds. For what, I don't know.

I just find this hard to wrap my head around.
  • Options
    This makes me angry. Suicide is just about the most selfish thing you can do, but to take your kids along with you?!? As if the remaining family isn't going to have enough to deal with but now their grandkids/nieces and nephews/brothers and sisters are gone too. I cannot even begin to fathom how much therapy that one surviving kid is going to have to go through.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:456b85e4-dd59-4f2f-9052-93b7c5ed519d">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well, this just made me feel sad. : wow. Rage much?  I have to agree with LTZ.  I don't understand how the mom *couldn't* have been suffering from some kind of mental illness.  I'd hope God (if he/she exists) is a little more compassionate than that.
    Posted by Steph0871[/QUOTE]

I absolutely do feel this way and will stand behind it.  I find it difficult to have compassion for anyone that does this to a child much less their own children.  The same goes for animal abuse, spousal abuse, rape, child molesters, elderly abuse, etc.  I have no tolerance for the sick and twisted people of this world. 

ETA: spelling

• Options
    I read this earlier today. So sad. There was a non-custodial grandmother that took her 8 yr old grandson in a BP station & shot him and herself in the restroom, just down from our house. It was horrible. I couldn't imagine why she would do that. & The worker that found them like that will have to live with that forever. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    absolutely sounds like post partum psychosis to me. it is horrifying to think of anyone killing innocent children, especially a parent killing their children. that being said, it is sad that no one could help her get treatment to prevent something like this from happening.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:dc916339-cb7f-4f11-8bcd-2a7c0186b2db">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well, this just made me feel sad. : Yes, I agree with this, and what Crash said about possible skewed logic (thinking she was saving the kids from a life of abuse). <strong>I think she was out of her mind with suffering, not maliciously homicidal.
    </strong>Posted by reddy123[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. She did let the oldest boy out of the car, possibly thinking he was old enough to not be caught in the abuse, or whatever it was she was escaping from.

I'll pray for her and the souls of her children. Hopefully the God I know will show them compassion and love.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:2c5c61f3-d17c-42a3-9d5b-125298424fb1">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]This makes me angry. <strong>Suicide is just about the most selfish thing you can do</strong>, but to take your kids along with you?!? As if the remaining family isn't going to have enough to deal with but now their grandkids/nieces and nephews/brothers and sisters are gone too. I cannot even begin to fathom how much therapy that one surviving kid is going to have to go through.
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

<div>This thought process makes my blood boil. Suicide is not a selfish act, it's a symptom of a mental disease: severe depression. This idea is a big pet peeve of mine, nothing against Achi personally, I just disagree big time. Taking her kids with her may have been 'selfish' (don't agree with that either), but anyone taking their own life isn't a selfish act. In fact, wanting them still around for the purpose of others is pretty selfish (again, not directed towards Achi).</div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I saw this on the news here in Cincy and it broke my heart. My heart goes out to that child who survived and the rest of the extended family.
  • Options
    How sad :(
    Those poor babies, and that poor boy who is left (yes, I am happy he was able to get out) because he will have so much guilt surrounding this!
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:27f79396-a2d4-4dc2-9300-77a3955dd205">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well, this just made me feel sad. : I agree with this. <strong>She did let the oldest boy out of the car,</strong> possibly thinking he was old enough to not be caught in the abuse, or whatever it was she was escaping from. I'll pray for her and the souls of her children. Hopefully the God I know will show them compassion and love.
    Posted by threepinkroses[/QUOTE]

What?? No she didn't. He escaped from the car window after it had gone into the water.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:0f59b838-edb7-41ed-963d-53df850bda47">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well, this just made me feel sad. : What?? No she didn't. He escaped from the car window after it had gone into the water.
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

You are right. Nothing I have read says that she let him out. He was probably the only child not restarined in a car seat/booster seat so he was able to get out.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I cried when I read this this morning at around 9:30.  At that time the news report here said that she had let him out of the car.  I can't find it anymore so I don't know what it says now but when I read it this morning they thought she let him out before driving off.
  • Options
    That's weird that the news would report that considering the new reports say that he was picked up by a passerby, soaking wet, after they noticed him coming out of the river.

Not surprising though. Different sources mess up stories all the time.
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:964f440a-34d9-4249-95b5-761173d4c478">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I cried when I read this this morning at around 9:30.  At that time the news report here said that she had let him out of the car.  I can't find it anymore so I don't know what it says now but when I read it this morning they thought she let him out before driving off.
    Posted by bbrown185[/QUOTE]

I actually heard the same thing on the news this morning that she let the one kid out, which I thought was strange. Him escaping makes more sense. That poor kid is going to need to much therapy. This is heartbreaking.

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:fe712efe-01d8-4e48-ae8c-20b9b2a0630e">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's terrible. It's one thing to want to take your own life. But your kids too? That makes me sad. But to play Devil's advocate, maybe she thought  "i'm going to kill myself, I don't want my children with thier Father they'll have a much worse life, so I'll take them with me when I kill myself" Not saying that I think it's okay, or not sad. But just maybe this was her thought process?
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

I am guessing you don't have children.

Anyone with any measure of sanity would NEVER hurt their own children, or want to.  Never.  This woman was clearly mentally disturbed and should have had custody removed from her a long time ago.  She is burning in h*ll right now.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:23c2f1aa-8ca8-4cb6-a555-9789feb59154">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well, this just made me feel sad. :<strong> I am guessing you don't have children</strong>. Anyone with any measure of sanity would NEVER hurt their own children, or want to.  Never. <strong> This woman was clearly mentally disturbed and should have had custody removed from her a long time ago.</strong>  She is burning in h*ll right now.
    Posted by kgettingmarried[/QUOTE]

1. No, I don't.

2. Who are you to judge that? No one, that's who.

Now, I thought it was implied that the mother was OBVIOUSLY  not in the right state of mind while she was thinking this. But I guess it was not. No, no one in their right mind would kill their children. But would someone not in their right mind (right after a domestic incident)? Possibly.
  • Options
    I am late to this but it happened literally down the road from my house.  I feel so bad for everyone involved.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_well-this-just-made-feel-sad?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:5d75d72e-978f-4b29-85ca-b96fc1e52c88Post:0f59b838-edb7-41ed-963d-53df850bda47">Re: Well, this just made me feel sad.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Well, this just made me feel sad. : What?? No she didn't. He escaped from the car window after it had gone into the water.
    Posted by LessThanZero[/QUOTE]

The article in the Record initially said that she let him out of the car.

Today's article said he escaped out of a window.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards