Snarky Brides
Options

Whatcha think

about cars? 

My car seems to be losing the good fight, what cars does everyone recommend?

I think I need a four door, just in case babies come in the future. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Whatcha think

• Options
    I'm currently in love with my Chevy Cobalt. It has had 2 recalls (all free of charge to fix) in the 2 years I've had it though... I used to have a VW Passat which was a fabulous car, but a total pain/expensive to repair.

We need to start shopping for a new car for H soon and I am dreading it.
  • Options
    I'm in love with FI's Corolla.  I really want one now.  It's roomy (four door) and gorgeous (although that has more to do with the fact that he bought during the Cash for Clunkers thing and I have negotiating skills) and handles well in our winters. 
  • Options
    I'm a big jeep fan. I love my Grand Cherokee and I also liked my Cherokee.
  • Options
    We currently have a GT mustang and a VW  GTI VR6, the latter one is dying a little, as in... It doesn't start now that it's cold.
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of my Honda Civic.  Great mileage and a very sturdy car.  If you want something a bit bigger, the Honda Accord has a similar reputation.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    I vote F350, 4 door (for the future kiddos), long bed. 

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_whatcha-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64b0733d-51f9-4bd5-9623-6c1b4384a81bPost:61694ecb-9dae-4a37-bf30-c6018827c090">Re: Whatcha think</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm a big fan of my Honda Civic.  Great mileage and a very sturdy car.  If you want something a bit bigger, the Honda Accord has a similar reputation.
    Posted by saisongbird[/QUOTE]

<div>cosigned me</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I'm a Toyota fan.  My first car was a 1997 Corolla which my brother still drives with over 160,000 miles on it an it runs great. Now I have 2005 Camry and I love it so much. Runs great, looks great, no complaints except for the hubcap that recently fell off, but that can happen to any car.  I've driven it back and forth from DC to Indiana countless times since I got it in 2006 and it does fantastic.

Sidenote:  I got my Camry on Ebay for 5 grand less than the Kelly Blue Book value was at the time.  I had to fly down to Florida to pick it up and drive it back to Indiana, but it was so worth it.  My dad also purchased his 2000 Honda CRV from EBay back in 2002 and also got a fantastic deal. The CRV was in Chicago 2 hours away so it was easier to pick up than mine was. You might want to check it out.
  • Options
    I like Toyotas too. I had a Camry when I was in college that was a hand-me-down from my dad and who knows who drove it before him, it had a ton of miles and still ran great. Now I have a Corolla which has had a recall but it will get fixed for free so I don't mind. Hondas are nice too, two of my friends drive Civics and they really like them and they're really nice cars too.
  • Options
    Heh, so I did a random google search and found out you can get a 2011 Chevy Aveo hatchback for $12,000. I might have to look into that because that's pretty much the price of any decent used car around here!

Have you guys had good luck with used cars? My parents swear by them but H and I have horrible luck. I bought my Passat for $6k, put at least $5k into it before I traded it in for $1k. I then got a Dodge Neon for $5k (after the trade in) and had to put $4k into that before I traded that in for my current Cobalt which was brand spanking new.
  • Options
    I'm a big Nissan fan! 

• Options
    LOVE my Ford Fusion. I have the 2008, so I justbarely missed out on the hybrid option.  Even so, I consistently get about 30mpg, and I do all city driving (like, below 40mph).

It's 0 out right now, with a windchill of 25 below or something. My car's been sitting in that for the last 48 hours and started up without any complaints at all. (not that you need to worry about that in San Antonio I guess.)  The a/c also kicks in really quickly when its 90 degrees outside ;)

I have the 4-cyl and it drives so smoothly, and has tons of space in the backseat and trunk, but doesn't drive like a big car.

Before this I had a Saturn that I absolutely adored. I wish I could have gotten another one. The one I got rid of had 185k miles and was 14 years old, with no problems at all. 
  • Options
    I bought a 2007 Honda CRV last year and it's awesome. It is really good in the snow and rides very smoothly. Good gas mileage too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_whatcha-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:64b0733d-51f9-4bd5-9623-6c1b4384a81bPost:b4ebddb8-1f5a-4e36-95c1-919969e74c1c">Re: Whatcha think</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heh, so I did a random google search and found out you can get a 2011 Chevy Aveo hatchback for $12,000. I might have to look into that because that's pretty much the price of any decent used car around here! Have you guys had good luck with used cars? My parents swear by them but H and I have horrible luck. I bought my Passat for $6k, put at least $5k into it before I traded it in for $1k. I then got a Dodge Neon for $5k (after the trade in) and had to put $4k into that before I traded that in for my current Cobalt which was brand spanking new.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>My Fusion was technically used, but it had only 3k miles on it. :)  It had been a dealership show car prior, so I still got all the warranty deals and everything.  It was about $5k less than a new car in the same perfect condition.</div>
  • Options
    I have two friends that just bought Toyotas in the last 4 months. One traded it in within two months for a CRV because the brakes kept going. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Then she was driving on the highway, got cut off, and couldn't stop it as she drove off the road. She almost drove headfirst into a tree. She had it towed away and refused to drive it ever again.

The other picked up a brand new Corolla last week, and it was in the dealership for repairs within two days. She still has not got it back.

Toyotas used to be great cars, but they suck big time in the last year. Go for Hondas. Both of the above friends traded in older Toyotas (a Highkander and a Camry) that they loved for the new ones. They won't be buying them again.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Katie, H's BMW was used, from CarMax. He got a great deal and hasn't had a problem. When my sister gets back from Ghana this May, I'm giving her my car and we are getting me a new one. I'm pushing for a Volvo XC60, so I'm watching for a used one. I drove a small SUV (Jeep Compass) on Kauai and it was manageable, but I hate Jeeps as a rule. 

I think from now on we will only get used, unless we get an awesome deal on a new car. My next car will be my forever car, like H's BMW is for him, so I want to make sure it will last and maintenance won't kill me.

I just saw today that Toyota is announcing free scheduled maintenance for a few years, like BMW and VOlvo already do. That's a great added benefit to not have to pay for oil changes, etc. H loves it. 
  • Options
    I just traded in my Toyota corolla for an BMWx3.... I love my new car, but I think I miss the corolla, it was so easy to park in tight places and I never had to take it in to the garage other than for tire changes and oil changes but it was old and I had had it since high school
    . I got a good deal on the x3 by getting it as a used floor model. Its a 2010 with 7k miles on it for a fraction of the listed price.
  • Options
    Can you guys come find me a used car in great shape then? My Passat had 60k miles on it and the neon had 90k. I think part of it is that they were both 'my car is dying and I need one today' cars as well. Hopefully if we take a little more time looking we'll find something better. It's just not really financially viable to buy a new car right now, but at the same time if we're going to be making monthly payments I'd rather have a good car, you know?

(My parents think we are crazy for considering a new car and not only buying used.)
  • Options
    LP11509LP11509 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2010
    Katie: I mentioned this in my previous post, but check EBay.  Just make sure that you look at cars listed through dealerships, not individuals, for more credibility.  And take into account that you might have to travel a bit to pick up the car.
  • Options
    How much do you want to spend and what are your criteria? Sedan, crossover, suv? 
  • Options
    I love my truck (Ford Ranger). It's not 4-door, but many makes//models are. I don't think I can go back to a car after having my truck for, maybe 6 years now?
  • Options
    Katie- I have personally never purchased a new car, I've never actually had a car payment. But H and his family have had really good luck. My car is only 7 years old and has 63k miles on it. But it's SO expensive to fix, it's minimally $500 to have anything fixed. 

I am fonda hondas. I will miss my bun warmers. 

Steph- I'm actually in Annapolis. I can't figure out how to change my location. I got my car in CA, drove it to TX and had it shipped here. This is it's first winter, and it's being weird. 
  • Options
    I agree with the PPs who have recommended Hondas--both FI and I have Civics, and we love them.  I've had mine since 2004, it has 105,000 miles on it, and the only thing we've had to get fixed besides scheduled maintenance issues was that the blower in my AC/heat went out (I don't really know what went into that--it happened awhile ago, and my dad took care of it, but it didn't seem like a big deal to him).  FI has a 2010 Civic with 4 doors, and we love it.  His nephews and little sister came to visit for a week over the summer, and we carted around all 3 of them in it with no problems. 
  • Options
    We just bought a new Corolla in April and we love it! It is nice to drive and very comfortable. We have been getting really good gas mileage too. We recently drove from Iowa to Pennsylvania and we were getting 38 miles to the gallon.

I also have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I like it too. My H drives it more than me now but it is a good vehicle and I am definitely appreciating it now that the snow and ice has hit.

Ultimately I would prefer to only drive pickups for the rest of my life but after having my mom's truck for a summer in this college town, I think it will have to wait. Cities are just not much fun for driving/parking with a truck.
  • Options
    I have owned Hondas for years. I have owned the civic,accord,passport,element,and I've had my ridgeline for 3yrs now. I've never had an issue. DH has a brand new ford f150,that doesn't start from time to time. This weekend it was dead again, so he had to use mine.
  • Options
    KD- Did you hear they are discontinuing the Element? That's why I have to ask about cars. I love those things. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_whatcha-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:64b0733d-51f9-4bd5-9623-6c1b4384a81bPost:85b66d08-1518-47c5-b952-48fd70743d40">Re: Whatcha think</a>:
    [QUOTE]KD- Did you hear they are discontinuing the Element? That's why I have to ask about cars. I love those things. 
    Posted by hetshup[/QUOTE]

Well that sucks,my stepdaughter loves hers too.And you see them everywhere...huh,weird. I only got rid of mine because the ground clearance wasn't enough for me. My Ridgline goes through anything. I wanted the new Crosstour.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_whatcha-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:64b0733d-51f9-4bd5-9623-6c1b4384a81bPost:030af987-197a-43a6-b3af-537855c8c1f5">Re: Whatcha think</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in love with FI's Corolla.  I really want one now.  It's roomy (four door) and gorgeous (although that has more to do with the fact that he bought during the Cash for Clunkers thing and I have negotiating skills) and handles well in our winters. 
    Posted by NatesGirl16[/QUOTE]

Thats all I drove for years - super dependable cars. Now I have a Subaru Impreza and love it. Good factory warranty too.

imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards