Snarky Brides

Nebbula and others who know about (growing) tomatoes

What am I doing wrong?

My plants look like this:

Which I hope you can kind of see. (eta: it gets less blurry if you click on it) The leaves have brown dry spots and are kind of shrinking, like they're drawing up.  They're getting plenty of water, so I don't think that's it.  Could it be something in the soil?

I've e-mailed the local extension office too.  I'm impatient and want to know they can be saved so I figured I'd ask the local tomato expert :)

Re: Nebbula and others who know about (growing) tomatoes

• NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Are they getting too much water? What have the temps been like? I've had singed leaves a lot of the time but that looks different. How is the stalk of the plant?
  • It looks sort of like blight, actually.  It happens sometimes when the water levels change too much (aka you water and then the soil gets dry and you water).   If that's what it is (I'd confirm because I'm not an excellent gardener, but this happened to me a couple times), keep your soil damp.  Pinch off the affected leaves near the stem.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • nom nom. H and are going to start planning our garden this weekend! I'm excited :)
  • I was going to say blight too. I emailed your picture to H to see what he think and I'll let you know what says.
  • It was warm and dry when we planted them a few weeks ago.  We were watering daily in the evenings.  It turned cold (but not freezing) earlier in the week, and has been raining daily.  Yesterday we got a strong storm and warm temps are back.  Soo, typical to a touch warm for this time of year here. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_nebbula-and-others-who-know-about-tomatoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:652eb7ca-bdc4-4e1e-9983-afdb7306a153Post:db74d74b-2027-4c35-b5d0-f45bdd2ce30a">Re: Nebbula and others who know about (growing) tomatoes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was going to say blight too. I emailed your picture to H to see what he think and I'll let you know what says.
    Posted by maratea[/QUOTE]

Thanks!
  • FYI - Googling "tomato blight" and clicking images gets you lots of pictures of sad looking tomatoes, someone's gross feet, and a picture of Martha Stewart. 

Nebb the stalk looked fine (sorry I missed answering that before) but I didn't inspect it extremely closely.  I can look again when I get home in a few hours.
  • Thanks y'all.  I'm reading more about blight and I think you are probably right.
  • NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    All the crops here got blighted is that a word? A few years back cause of a big influx of rain/cool weather and it was balls. But, that was towards the mid/end of the season. Do you have flowers or fruit yet?
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    No flowers or fruit on these plants.  They were small when we got them.  It looks like there's an early blight (probably this) and a later blight. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards