Snarky Brides
Options

My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.

Re: My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.

• Options

jackie: Oooh a taco cart!! I'm drooling... I have 24 days to try to fit that into the budget hahaha

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_eyeballs-might-frozen-side?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eda2369-df75-480e-87a9-10e380a93c2ePost:071e92fa-85ab-47bb-b847-159f2613d996">Re: My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side. :
    Posted by M&R7111[/QUOTE]

M&R - I've been to weddings where the bride and groom wait to do photos afterwards so they can have that moment where they don't see each other until that moment the bride comes down the aisle.  Where I'm from, USUALLY people just do photos before the wedding.  But if they want to wait, fine.

I figured that if the guests were waiting at the reception for us to get there, it was horribly rude to disappear to a bar for an hour and a half.  They'd already been waiting and knew we were taking pictures - but when we finally showed up and most of the bridal party was deep in the bag it was really, really tactless.  But yes, the bride and groom were with us.  My bride showed up to her reception piss drunk.  It was so embarrassing.
    panther
  • Options
    DodgersBrideDodgersBride member
    First Comment
    edited June 2010
    I don't have a wedding horror stories aside from what was already mentioned. However the money dance is kind custom in our families. My parents had one way back when and almost all of the wedding I have gone to have had them. They changed it up a bit and didn't pin the money on the couple but had a basket or a small white pouch. I just don't see myself doing one.

Edit: Just to clarify the DJ did not in my cases announce that they would only accept a certain amount of money. 
  • Options
    I'm surprised so many people ddo photos before the ceremony! I've always seen them do the photos after the ceremony. meanwhile guests make their way to the reception and get the party started without them.

We're doing lots of pictures before (me and the bridesmaids, him and the groomsmen, etc) before the ceremony, then the ones that require both of us afterwards (should only be half an hour 45 minutes tops between the ceremony and reception, so they shouldn't have to wait too long. More than an hour and a half or so seems like it would be uncool)

Since our ceremony and reception are at the same place, we're giving our guests some drinks while they wait, and they can use the extra half hour or so to explore the hacienda. Hope it should go smoothly :S
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I've been to quite a few weddings with most PP's have listed.
    My brother did the dollar dance. Pretty bad I had to pay to dance with my own brother.
    My niece married a man from Mexico, his family cooked for days for he reception, a real spread.But the rest of the evening it was like the crowd separated. His family on one side, hers on the other. It was awkward.

My friend just went to a wedding last weekend. Very religious hour and half ceremony. Then they had to wait an hour to be seated at the reception, where there was no alcohol, and no music at all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    AllAbout - OH!  I never knew it was standard in some places to do pictuers before the wedding!  FI and I were thinking about doing that so we could spend more time at the cocktail hour, but everyone we discussed it with thought it was taboo.

And I do think it is horrible that the wedding party drove off to a bar for over an hour.  I don't think that action is customary anywhere!
  • Options
    I just thought of one! It was so long ago - I was in middle school, and it wasn't bad for me, just my family:

My Uncle married a woman from India.  They had an Indian wedding and a Catholic wedding.  The Indian wedding, for me, was awesome!  The food was one of my favorite parts.

Now, from myItalian Roman Catholic family's perspective:  The food at the Indian wedding was not edible by anyone.  They had to leave and go to the Burger King down the road to get food.  Also, they were very upset to see that the ceremony was over 2 hours long and all the guests were talking and walking about during it.  I still hear my grandmother gawk about how "horrible" it was. 
  • Options
    My ceremony started a half hour late but that was because my husband's family was all late even though they were staying a block away.  And I had a 5:30 ceremony timed to take place before sunset.  Luckily, the sun was still bright enough that it did not effect the pictures.  Although we were unable to do family pics with his side before the ceremony because they were all so late.  So I had to spend part of the cocktail hour doing them inside the dance floor area.  Grrrr.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    One wedding I went to they played nothing but country music all night. I think the bride and her dad were the only ones who danced, and we left early. It was so boring my friend actually started knitting at the table (we told her to stop to not look rude, but I can't say I blame her)

Another wedding we drove 6 hours to had the nastiest buffet I ever encountered in a 4H hall on the fairgrounds. Soggy fried chicken, limp green beans, a dressing-soaked iceberg salad and some brown tasteless meat that we're still waiting on lab results to identify. They had open beer kegs, mike's hard and wine, and cash bar for everything else. Lots of country music, chicken dance, girls just wanna have fun--ie, DJs were grandpa age. literally. We hit up McDonald's and went to the boats afterwards.

My uncle got married in his 50s to a slightly older woman. Not only did they do a garter dance, but he went up her dress and took it down with his teeth. My cousin's now ex-husband read a 'poem' he wrote for them that was full of sexual inuendo. I turned about 5 shades of brown, and it takes a lot for me to be shocked/embarrassed by stuff like that.
  • Options
    I actually did the photography at a wedding where they did this. It was my first full wedding shoot and there was one dance, for the bride and groom...where the groom's mom awkwardly cut in to dance with her son.(a little too close I might add) The whole WP sat really far away from everyone else at a table that I would've thought was the "kid's" table. Then, after we ate they opened ALL the gifts, read ALL the cards and then we all just stood around confused until they eventually left. It was very strange to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    even i side-eye the chicken dance.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_eyeballs-might-frozen-side?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eda2369-df75-480e-87a9-10e380a93c2ePost:ae65f5ee-fd8b-4dd6-a2b5-2d9f5682e8ae">Re: My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually did the photography at a wedding where they did this. It was my first full wedding shoot and there was one dance, for the bride and groom...where the <strong>groom's mom awkwardly cut in to dance with her son.</strong>(a little too close I might add) The whole WP sat really far away from everyone else at a table that I would've thought was the "kid's" table. Then, after we ate they opened ALL the gifts, read ALL the cards and then we all just stood around confused until they eventually left. It was very strange to me.
    Posted by Jellyfish42[/QUOTE]

oh dear god.....is it bad that I can totally picture my FMIL doing this????   ha!
  • Options
    My exSIL committed countless acts of wedding villany.

1) She PURPOSELY started the wedding 30 minutes late because "everyone knows these things never start on time"  WTF? 

2) Cash Bar

3) Fudging the number with the caterer to save money.  This meant that a) the buffett ran out of food and b) there weren't enough seats for butts

4) Dollar dance (DJ annouced it was 10 bucks to dance with the bride!)

5) The frickin chickin dance/electric slide/cha cha slide.  All in a row.
    No, that's not my real name. And FH's name isn't Nun (as in Nun ya bidness) either.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Midgie - I have a pigeon named Pidg. Your sn made me think of him.

::twirls away::

Edited for spelling!
  • Options
    I have never know pictures to be taken before the ceremony, but then again I haven't been to a ceremony that has the quality of photographs that I see on here. Most of the group photos are lined up behind the cake table, etc.

My cousin got married in my aunt's front yard, which is beautiful. However, while the guests were getting seated ont he front lawn, the bride (now ex-wife) came downstairs, ran over to the keg in the garage (reception was in the yard as well, so food was in the garage) and tapped the keg herself. She downed a full cup of beer, in plain view of the guests, then walked back to the house, pushed up her cleavage and came out the other door to walk down the aisle.

I may have been raised in the country, but even I thought that was friggin tacky. It was telling, however, as they are now divorced.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    M&R, most people try to fit in pics with their respective wedding party members before the ceremony so they can actually make it to the reception on time. I.e. no more than 45-60 minutes of pictures after the ceremony.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2010
    The most obnoxious thing the couple can do?  Not serve champagne to everyone, but serve it (prominently) to the wedding party.  GRRR!

The most obnoxious thing guests can do? (not asked, but I'd like to share): Guests drinking alcohol out of their trunks before the ceremony.  I've seen it.  And I'm seriously embarasseed for them and their behavior. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_eyeballs-might-frozen-side?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eda2369-df75-480e-87a9-10e380a93c2ePost:f8a1ac1e-1662-449a-8936-baecd75e12d9">Re: My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.</a>:
    [QUOTE] However, while the guests were getting seated ont he front lawn, the bride (now ex-wife) came downstairs, ran over to the keg in the garage (reception was in the yard as well, so food was in the garage) and tapped the keg herself. She downed a full cup of beer, in plain view of the guests, then walked back to the house, pushed up her cleavage and came out the other door to walk down the aisle. I may have been raised in the country, but even I thought that was friggin tacky. It was telling, however, as they are now divorced.
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

Man, that's bad. I'd be so embarassed for my relative if he were marrying that. Why didn't she just ask someone to get her a drink? Why make such a spectacle of herself? People amaze me sometimes.
  • Options
    I C&P this from a recent post on bad weddings, but for those of you who didn't see it, I think you will find it amusing.

Mike's mother's best friends are Jersey trash. I mean, right from the show. We went to a wedding two years ago where the ceremony was on the beach and the reception was in a private house on the beach. Here are some of the defining moments.

1) The house was meant for 50, 75 people max. There were at least 175 there.
    2) Cocktail hour started before the ceremony so people were half in the bag by the ceremony. Some one brought a transistor radio to the ceremony to listen to the Yankees game and every one was high fiving each other after big plays. I marched up to them and freaked out about how rude they were being. Yeah, every one acted like I was the one who brought the awkward.
    3) This is the bride who asked me not to wear my ering to her engagement party so you can tell there is no love loss there.
    4) Absolutely no one danced. This is when the song "move your body like a cyclone" was big. They played it THREE times.
    4) Instead of properly busing tables the wait staff literally would walk up to a table and do a 'one arm swoop' to clear it. Glasses were shattering everywhere.
    5) Mike's mom ended up smoking a doobie with the MOB. Hey, at least she was effing quiet for the ride home.
  • Options
    M&M, the last part is the best. I love it.
  • Options
    My mouth would hang open if I saw a busser do a one arm swoop.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_eyeballs-might-frozen-side?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eda2369-df75-480e-87a9-10e380a93c2ePost:a9df3244-b1b2-4334-b62f-ebd1d36366d7">Re: My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw my first dollar dance this weekend.  It was even more awful than people on here say. 1) the DJ announced they wouldn't accept anything smaller than a 10 2) The DJ then announced that if you had to drive more than 5 miles to the wedding, you have to give the couple a dollar (the wedding was in BFE) 3) It was to the Cha cha slide. Oh, and it was a Friday night wedding, started at 7 and the only food was a veggie tray, a fruit tray and some cold cuts with cheese.  I stopped for fast food on the way home.
    Posted by JoyTate1[/QUOTE]
    My gasped out loud at #1.  OMG.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Meg, I love it all hahaha

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_eyeballs-might-frozen-side?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eda2369-df75-480e-87a9-10e380a93c2ePost:3bfff5c7-b13f-41fd-b303-a6f780f002df">My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Went to a wedding the other day. -Invite said ceremony starts 4:30 (on a Friday).  Surprise!  It actually started at 5pm. -Cash bar -A charity donation in my name -And the frickin chicken dance. I was most angry about the ceremony time, though sitting around for 45 minutes waiting for it to start when I could have worked an extra 1/2 hour was just so fun. In your opinion, what are the most obnoxious things a couple can do?
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

Do you side eye a donation (not made in your name) but in honor of someone in the groom or bride's life??
  • Options
    Things I hate at weddings....

-Dollar dance
    -Dollar dash
    -Bride auction
    -Huge gaps where there is nothing for the guests to do
    - The chicken dance, electric slide, hokey pokey, etc.
    - No food
    -limited seating for the entire affair
    - cash bar

I went to a wedding once where the bride and groom had three first dances to three different songs all in a row.  It was an odd 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Oh.... and I've had it happen twice where the bride emailed her entire guest list telling us all where they are registered.  Awkward.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_eyeballs-might-frozen-side?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eda2369-df75-480e-87a9-10e380a93c2ePost:32386ff7-0d58-4576-974f-3f6e96df4fc3">Re: My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.</a>:
    [QUOTE]The most obnoxious thing the couple can do?  Not serve champagne to everyone, but serve it (prominently) to the wedding party.  GRRR! The most obnoxious thing guests can do? (not asked, but I'd like to share): <strong>Guests drinking alcohol out of their trunks before the ceremony</strong>.  I've seen it.  And I'm seriously embarasseed for them and their behavior. 
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've seen it too. At a reception, though. I don't approve of the behavior, but I wasn't very suprised...seeing as how it was a dry wedding.

Now if the reception DID serve alcohol...well that's just tacky.

Dog.
  • Options
    Worst Wedding EVAR....

1) FI was in the bridal party and was wearing a Full Leg Brace due to a knee injury. He wore it under his tux and was forced to "Suck it up" according to the bride and stand for an hour.
    2) The bridal party went to get pics done in the time between the ceremony and the reception for 2 hours. FI got forced into the limo first and when I asked if he wanted his smokes the bride about chewed my head off. (Apparently people on the other side of the car thought I was going to reach into the limo and drag her out by her veil)
    3) I was seated at the back of the room as far from the bridal party as possible with people I didn't know.
    4) And this is the best part -
    The bride stopped the reception to open HER gifts. And then proceeded to Bitch about them to her new hubby if she didn't like them. This was in front of everyone and in the middle of the reception.

Cam

PS. Oh yeah.... the marriage lasted 27days.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_eyeballs-might-frozen-side?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:6eda2369-df75-480e-87a9-10e380a93c2ePost:e17bd993-ca8b-43c9-8ac4-94f94812e89c">Re: My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to My eyeballs -might- be frozen to the side. :<strong> Do you side eye a donation (not made in your name) but in honor of someone in the groom or bride's life??
    </strong>Posted by aprovencher21[/QUOTE]

I do. Why would the B&G feel the need to announce that they made a donation? The point of making a donation is making a difference, not making yourself look good. I think making a donation is fine, but AWing it to the guests serves no purpose but to flaunt their generosity.
  • Options
    At my cousin's wedding (I haven't seen him in 8 years and it will prolly be another 8 til I see him again)...
    1) Dollar dance lasted for several songs
    2) Your purchase of the dollar dance also got you a shot of Baileys Chocolate...wtf???
    3) While I was sitting with my stereotypical-preacher's-wife grandmother, they played the Thong Song and Baby Got Back right in a row and danced worse than in the music videos
    4) in order to walk out of the reception you had to pass his brother and other ppl in the WP smoking pot

On a funnier note...Remember that movie "Role Models" where the kid Auggie does that foam sword role playing stuff? Yeah, apparently all the guys in the WP do that so the groomsmen's gifts were foam swords and after the rehersal dinner they were role playing outside. He's 23 and all the GM were at least a couple years older...
    Mrs. Wiggins image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards