Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Ring sizes

If your fiance had your e-ring when he proposed, how did he figure out your ring size?I have a friend who has been tasked with finding out another friend's ring size and I didn't know what to tell her since DH and I shopped together before he officially proposed.  The annoying catch is I don't think she normally wears any rings, so there's little chance that anyone will be able to trace her size onto a piece of paper or anything like that.

Re: Ring sizes

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm.. that is hard.  FI and I shopped together as well.  Does she have a class ring or something like that?
  • Options
    stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We shopped ahead of time too, so he already knew my size.  Has she ever tried on/borrowed anyone else's jewelry?  Like has she borrowed a ring for whatever reason from a friend and made a comment that it was too small/too big?  Does she have a sister that is close to her in age or in build?  Maybe their fingers are the same size or at least close to the same size? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     my FI took a wild guess and ironically was only off half a size.  I think most rings that are in stores are 7's.  Most stores also will give you free sizer things until she can get it back up there to get it sized. OR - I have heard of some guys proposing with the diamond alone.  To me this seems really weird but it even talks about it on bluenile.com where FI got my second e-ring.  Then after she says yes she can pick the setting but the proposal would still be a surprise. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Was it still as special if you shopped together? I've always wondered... Jeff did a damn good job guessing. I have heard that your ring size is similar to your shoe size, which in my case it is close. Maybe that helps???
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We shopped together, but I didn't know that FI had bought the ring, so the proposal was still a surprise. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it was still special (we shopped together).  Though I wonder what he would have picked out had we not. My ring size is a 5.5.  My shoe size is a 7.5.  Not that close.
  • Options
    stephl3055stephl3055 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Emi, I think it was just as special.  We looked at rings at a good 4-6 months before David proposed, and I'm not the kind of person to sit there and anticipate that a proposal is coming.  Besides, he wasn't out of school yet, so I knew nothing was coming for a few months.  He knows I am really picky and he wanted to make sure that I got exactly what I wanted.  As far as the shoe/ring thing, I must have a weird body or something.  I wear a size 10 shoe, and my ring is a 6.5.  But then again, I think I have really big feet for my height. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Was it still as special if you shopped together? I've always wondered... I had no idea the proposal was coming so yes it was still special. I'm also really picky and I LOVE LOVE my ring! Jeff did a damn good job guessing. I have heard that your ring size is similar to your shoe size, which in my case it is close. Maybe that helps???Hopefully not. I wear a shoe size 11 and my ring size is a 7 :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I'm not sure about the shoe size thing either.  I wear a size 7 in rings, but size 9 shoes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hmmm,   My shoe size is 6.5 and ring size is 4.5 so I am the third that their ring size is exactly 2 less than their shoe size. I am gonna have to google that now.  wonder if its some myth like the whole guy shoe size thing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My ring size is between a 7 and 7.5 and my shoe size is around 10.5.  We shopped beforehand too.  Honestly I would have rather gotten the wrong sized ring and for it to be a complete surprise.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My shoe size is a 9.5 and my ring size is a 6 so i don't think the shoe size has much to do with it.  He should probably just go with the 7 in the store and if it doesn't fit, they can take it back and have it sized up or down.
  • Options
    almoyoalmoyo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I wear a size 9 shoe and 6 ring. I don't think there is any correlation there.I've heard of lots of people just taking the ring in to be sized right after the proposal. It's not THAT big a deal.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hee, FI did the tracing on a piece of paper thing.  He got it exactly right!But yeah, if she doesn't have any rings, that could be tricky.
  • Options
    untsinguntsing member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I knew M was shopping; we'd been together for 5 years.  One night our friend Lydia (who had gone looking at rings with him) came over and she was wearing her wedding band (which I noticed immediately, b/c I knew she and her husband were separated) and she, VERY obviously, gave it to me and said "HERE, TRY IT ON!"  Hahahaha.  Real smooth, guys.   
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay...well apparently it was a myth and I'm a mutant with the same ring and shoe size! :) I had NO clue it was coming eitehr. We had never discussed rings or even getting married. Oh well. Another time, another post.
  • Options
    DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ring size 4 here with shoe size 6 It seems that typically your shoe size is a little bigger than the ring size.... Who knows! My FI stole my Aggie ring and sized it from that.  Too bad my right hand is half a size bigger in ring sizes.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Too bad my right hand is half a size bigger in ring sizes.Mine too!
  • Options
    Buttercup509Buttercup509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't remember my ring size.  I think it is a 5.5.  Very different from my shoe size - 8.5. He didn't try to figure out my size before he proposed.  I had it sized afterward.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He asked me to get my finger sized actually.   I never ring shopped with him because I wanted it to be a surprise and something he chose, not me.  That being said, while I knew that he might be browsing, I had no idea that he had bought it when he proposed so I was completely surprised!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My hubby got in to my jewelry box and found my high school class ring and took it to the jeweler...too bad I was a lot heavier in high school, and I wore my class ring on my middle finger and it actually even fit my thumb. He got me a size 7, my ring size is a 4. We had to have it sized. I was so sad to have to give my ring back to the jeweler for 2 days after I got it :(
  • Options
    aphitxaphitx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI grabbed my college ring (it wasn't a traditional college ring).  We never shopped for rings and it wasn't even what I said I wanted, but it's perfect and I LOVE it. I still get compliments on it all the time.  It never gets old.  :-)(I digress) He put it on his index finger and figured out where it fell on him.  So, that's how he figured out what size I would need.  The sizing was almost perfect!Such a smartie!!
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to a jeweler just so I could look at a few things and get my ring size, not really to "shop" together. Well, we got my size and we happened to find a ring that we both loved. Unfortunately, he waited until too close to the trip, the ring we loved (which was on clearance) was gone, and he had to get something else. AND, since he waited too long, the ring they had in the store was way too big and there was no time to get it sized! The sizer broke on Saturday, so I've been ringless since then.Oh, and my shoe size is 5 and my ring size is 6, so I guess I'm opposite!
  • Options
    l33annal33anna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, Fi totally surprised me by taking a ring that my best friend got me with him when he went shopping. He is so clever :) He should just try to get a ring, maybe bigger if possible and then have them resize it. I have no clue. sorry I am no help.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WE had looked at a couple of rings before FI proposed, but I was still surprised. My FI stole my Aggie ring and sized it from that. Too bad my right hand is half a size bigger in ring sizes.Mine would have been too, but when I got my Aggie ring, they let me get a quarter size, so it's a quarter size bigger then my left hand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, ladies!  It's great to hear all these stories, and I'll pass along this thread to the best friend who has been given the task.  (If only I could find the email exchange where the probably-soon-to-be-engaged friend and I told each other what we wanted so I knew what kind of ring to recommend.  Hopefully she also told her best friend!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards