Snarky Brides
Options

Puppies

So Ben wants a puppy in the worst way.  Like you know how some women just NEED to get pregnant and have babies?  Ben's this way with dogs.

He's been so bad lately.  He's always looking online at local shelters or pet places and at the pictures of all the puppies.  He has baaad puppy fever and wants us to get a puppy not long after we're married. 

I want a dog, too - but I think about stuff way too much.  I know they're a huge responsibility, that's not really what concerns me - I just have slight mental problems with a dog being in my house.  I grew up on a farm and the way it was back there was that dogs belong outside.  Well, this will not be the case with our future dog.

I guess I'm okay with a dog being in the house as long as he doesn't shed anywhere.  And I have high anxiety about sharing our bed with a dog.  I know lots of dog owners do this but to me - my bed is mine.  Dogs sleep in their own beds, or on the floor.  My (psycho) mother won't let our farm dog, Bubba in their house.  I know when we go home to visit, the dog won't be welcome - not even in the garage.  I think because of her attitudes about dogs, I have a little aversion to a dog being all up in my business in my house.

Am I being a complete bitch?  Or will I warm up to all of this eventually?
panther

Re: Puppies

• Options
    I think you'll warm up eventually. The way I grew up the dogs stay in the house. Especially during inclement weather.

But do your homework first and prepare yourself. Dogs shed there are no two ways about it, are you willing to brush it a lot to keep the shedding down? Are you and FI willing to come home and let it out until it gets older and better trained?

Having an animal is like having a kid. Hell we have to babyproof our house with the cat. Look into the maintenance of each breed and see what is a fit for you guys. Maybe even ask the shelter to advise you. Good Luck.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    You will definitely warm up.  When your puppy looks at you like you're the greatest thing in the world, you'll want to cuddle him forever.

That being said, boundaries are fine and dogs like rules.  They are more comfortable when they know what is expected of them, what they're allowed to do, etc. 
  • Options
    You aren't being unruly at all!  DH is the SAME WAY!  I don't want to incur additional responsibility beyond plants... We are busy people too, no one is home all the time, and I feel sorry if the dog is sitting outside all day, doing nothing in our confined space of a backyard! 

Pets aren't cheap too by any standards, food, vet visits, a bed, water, walking, and the poop patrol, cleaning/bathing/shampooing dogs...

I too would be fun and dandy if the pet would have the backyard as his/her home.. I have a thing about our kitchen, and I don't like pet dander...

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Options
    I kinda want a shorter haired dog, I think.  Ben's sister has a white pomeranian.  She's a sweet dog and all but my God, does she shed.  I hate going over there sometimes actually - even though their house is relatively clean, there's still freaking white dog hair everywhere. 

I have no issues with sleeping with my dog on the couch or something for an afternoon nap... I just view our bedroom as OUR space, I guess.
    panther
  • Options
    you can totally warm up...

my advice don't get a puppy puppy unless you want to put in a lot of work they are like infants - eat, pee, and poo A LOT and of course chew....plenty of dogs 10month-3 years have plenty of puppy but can hold their bladder longer, not as hyper, etc

avoid dogs with double undercoats...unless you get a hairless it will shed a bit but do some research....something like a husky will shed more than a boxer when it blows out it's coat

you can completely set boundries with the dogs our dog was in a kennel the first year we had her when we were gone and at night - slowly we opened up boundries....for the longest time she was not allowed in the bedroom....she still will not cross the threash hold of the guest bedroom, absolutely NO dogs are allowed there
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    You are not being a bitch, it's totally how you are raised. My mom was raised with hunting dogs and has the same mentality. I think not sleeping with the dog is a good place to draw the line, I would get a dog bed. Also, teach it to not be freaked out about being left outside for an hour or two, so when you visit mom you can keep her out.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We just got a puppy in April. I've had dogs my whole life and my FI has never had a pet other than fish so this was a big step for her. We didn't research the behavoir of Corgis as well as we should have, as they are very stubborn and fiesty, but we wouldn't giver Abbey up for anything. She's our baby! My FI who would barely even touch my parents dogs with a finger will hold her and pet her and even kiss her head. It's pretty hard not to fall in love with a little puppy. Just know that if you leave things around for them to get to and chew, they will and that's YOUR fault, not theirs (crate them when you're not home if it will put your mind at ease). The first few months of vet bills are very expensive, but then it's not bad after that. And you can get one of two types of dogs one that sheds more but doesn't need to be clipped or one that doesn't shed as much but needs to be groomed. We opted for a sheder. And the hair gets everywhere. But that's what vacuums and lint rollers are for. She sleeps in her crate in our bedroom and we do allow her on the couches, but that's b/c we're don't mind.

It really is fun having a puppy, lots of work, but fun. And honestly it's a good prep for having kids :)

Photobucket
  • Options
    Get a puppy! Get a puppy!

I don't think I'd want a dog on the bed either. Whisky is little and I can move him if I need to. The dog we would get would be a huge bed hogger, so I would just get a dog bed and set boundaries as a puppy. Make him/her know the bed is off limits.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:794ea70c-e634-47e2-b2b6-91281ed4e72ePost:76177b7e-1bb1-460e-9b20-f072b9561261">Re: Puppies</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are not being a bitch, it's totally how you are raised. My mom was raised with hunting dogs and has the same mentality. I think not sleeping with the dog is a good place to draw the line, I would get a dog bed. Also, teach it to not be freaked out about being left outside for an hour or two, so when you visit mom you can keep her out.
    Posted by reddy123[/QUOTE]

We can't even take our future dog home with us though :( The family farm dog does not do well with other dogs.  He's very territorial and the yard belongs to him.  He's a big dog - half lab, half chow - and where we are renting requires that our dog be under 30 lbs.  So whatever we get couldn't hang with Bubba. 
    panther
  • Options
    Long haired dogs actually shed less.  Talk to your vet about it before getting one though.  Also, dogs take time and work, but if you raise them right its totally worth it.  You'll warm up and fall in love.  Rules keep them in line.  Its good to make them clear and stick to them. 
  • Options
    Dogs are fantastic companions, but they are a lot of work if you've never had an indoor one before. I will tell you this- When we left our apartment, we lost our deposit because our puppy chewed the corner off the vanity and chewed a hole in the drywall behind the toilet. She was a crafty little fucker.

But she is the greatest dog now and so well behaved. I love to pieces, and I probably treat her more like a child than a dog.

BUT- I have the same feelings as you about sharing my bed. She sheds everywhere, and I don't want her hair in the bed. It's my bed and H's bed. She has her own bed, that we keep downstairs, although she usually sleeps in her chair (yes she has her own chair) or on the couch.
  • Options
    Gotcha. Well then, mom will have to visit you and be totally shocked and appalled when the dog jumps up on the couch for a kiss ;)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Yeah jcb - the farm dog never goes in the house.  He doesn't even like going in the garage, even when it's blizzarding.  My mom held the door open for him one day when it was like, 20 degrees below zero and he just looked at her like, "What?  I'm not going in there.  I'm fine."

I wouldn't be opposed to adopting a little older dog, either.  I seriously can't believe how bad Ben's obsessed with puppies, though.  I'm approaching this whole thing extremely cautiously - I want to make sure we find the right one, and not rush into anything, but if he had his way - he'd take home about five puppies.  Today.
    panther
  • Options
    Get a puppy.  So you can post cute puppy picture.  kthnx.

For real though, I grew up in a family with a mom and brother extremely allergic to all things with fur and feathers.  We had outside dogs (hunting dogs actually, yeah I'm from the south it's what they do here, i know it's stupid).  So I didn't grow up with animals in the house either.  But we now have three - 200lbs, 50lbs, and 10lbs - and I love them all.  They shed some but I'm a crazy cleaner lady so I sweep and vacuum everyday so maybe I just don't notice how much they actually do shed?

I say do some research on the type of dog and how bad they shed, how hyper they are, etc.  Basic stuff.  Out of all three of our ours, chihuahua sheds the most which really surprised me since he is the smaller and the one with the shortest hair.

As far as the bed things, boundaries are totally a good thing.  Ours don't sleep with us either.  Millie, the one FI adopted before we met, used to sleep on the bed with him but when I moved in we trained her to sleep on the floor (yeah I was that b!tch lol), so for us it was possible to reverse the bad habit.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:794ea70c-e634-47e2-b2b6-91281ed4e72ePost:63d7f4ee-8c91-4fa5-9942-f64b3d49e808">Re: Puppies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I kinda want a shorter haired dog, I think.  Ben's sister has a white pomeranian.  She's a sweet dog and all but my God, does she shed.  I hate going over there sometimes actually - even though their house is relatively clean, there's still freaking white dog hair everywhere.  I have no issues with sleeping with my dog on the couch or something for an afternoon nap... <strong>I just view our bedroom as OUR space, I guess.</strong>
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

We don't let the cat in our room either. Too much cat hair, and she likes to be up at night making noise and running around.

I don't think you're being unruly about this AATB. It's actually normal, as a good pet owner, to consider these things instead of just running out and grabbing the first cute pet you see, KWIM?

Like PP's have said, just look up what breeds will be the best for your lifestyle and narrow it down from there.

Edited for dumb unfinished sentences and a typo.
  • Options
    I guess I felt like I was being bitchy about it because yesterday - everyone in my office was talking about their pets and how they ALL sleep in their beds with them.  Like "Oh our cats totally rule our bedroom," and "my dog hogs the space," or just little sleeping habits of their animals - I'm sitting there holding it back because I'm like WHAT?  I want a dog, I just don't want him in my freaking bed!

I talked to Ben about it last night and he could see where I was coming from - but at the same time, he was like "Well, if I was laying in bed and the dog came in and jumped in bed with me, I wouldn't kick him out."  See, I would.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:794ea70c-e634-47e2-b2b6-91281ed4e72ePost:d2ce51a4-eb2f-4568-9a55-b80b3ce92697">Re: Puppies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I felt like I was being bitchy about it because yesterday - everyone in my office was talking about their pets and how they ALL sleep in their beds with them.  Like "Oh our cats totally rule our bedroom," and "my dog hogs the space," or just little sleeping habits of their animals - I'm sitting there holding it back because I'm like WHAT?  I want a dog, I just don't want him in my freaking bed! I talked to Ben about it last night and he could see where I was coming from - but at the same time, he was like "Well, if I was laying in bed and the dog came in and jumped in bed with me, I wouldn't kick him out."  See, I would.

Just have an established sleeping area/crate/whatever for it outside the bedroom, and don't let it in. That's what...actually, everyone I know who owns a dog does. I let my cat in, but if I kick him off in the night, he'll go find somewhere else to sleep. FI's cat isn't allowed in his bedroom, cause she tears up the underside of his bed, lol.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:794ea70c-e634-47e2-b2b6-91281ed4e72ePost:6aa742f0-51f2-4565-9b67-7e49907bab5c">Re: Puppies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will admit that prior to FI, all three of the dogs slept with me and I loved it.  But then FI came along and three dogs and two adults just do not fit into one queen size bed.  So we compromised and the two bigger dogs (30 lbs and 40 lbs) got moved to the floor.  And they were totally fine with it.  The third dog (20lb) got to sleep with us but she would bury herself under the covers at the foot of the bed so we didn't notice her much. Now we have the puppy that won't sleep in her crate that sleeps IN BETWEEN us.  That I really don't like...but hopefully that will resolve itself as she gets older.  At least I'm hoping so.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

What you have decribed is my worst nightmare.  :) HA!
    panther
  • Options
    There are certain breeds that shed very very little. I have a brussels griffon and he barely ever sheds (wirey coats). He also has more of a bigger dog attitude (he's less than 30 lbs). My sister sounds a lot like your mom. Farm dogs are farm dogs. My sister after years of working thru it will let me dog in the house. As will my mom who hates dogs period. They realize my one is very well behaved and they are fine with it. I got an older puppy and I'm glad I did. The hard work was done for the most part and I wanted a rescue. There are lots of decent rescues up in the mpls area too.
    Mine slept with me every night when I lived alone. Now he know's he's not allowed in the bed while FI is there. When FI gets up at 5 am to go to work, mine asks to get up and we cuddle in bed at that point until I have to get up. They learn boundaries really fast if you put the work in.
    photo c603d655-594e-44b6-a311-72f04e7a561b_zpscca2447c.jpg My Little Sweetheart Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    AATB I was like you....we always had outside dogs. Then my sister (we lived together at the time after college) brought home a puppy from the shelter and we fell in love. We grew attached to each other so she's mine now (thats her in my pic-Minni). If I could do it all over again I would've crate trained her (get a book or something on how to do it). This is something i had no clue about since we always had outside dogs.  Puppy years were hard. And puppy years = two years for us. They chew everything, but if they are in a crate you don't worry about what they are doing at home. We also used to take her to doggy daycare.

Dogs are also like infants, they thrive on routine. As long as Minni is on her routine, everything is fine. FI walks her every morning. She's 4 now and she is the best dog I have ever had.

I would make sure you FI understands all this, because it is a lot of work. Bottom line though, I am so glad I have her, I cannot imagine my life without her in it. She is so sweet, cuddles all the time. Now that she's older, she is a dream to live with. Shedding does happen, I get annoyed sometimes, but I clean a lot too. Good luck with your decision.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_puppies-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:794ea70c-e634-47e2-b2b6-91281ed4e72ePost:c9920155-8b89-4c89-8187-6b8a3430f3cf">Puppies</a>:
    [QUOTE] Am I being a complete bitch?  Or will I warm up to all of this eventually?

You'll definitely warm up with it. Once you start going to shelters to look for a dog, you will fall in love and want to leave with all of them. I used to make fun of my sister because she took her dog everywhere. I never wanted one because I didn't want the responsibility of training one, keeping up with vet visits and grooming, walking it in the rain, etc., but when I found Howie at the shelter my heart melted!!

Having a dog is a lot of responsibility but it's worth it. Also, my dog sleeps in his crate at night. I just cannot sleep with DH AND Howie in bed with me because I always end up getting the shaft! Now that my dog is crate trained he LOVES his bed. It's got a big pillow and blanket in it and he sleeps in it even during the day.

ETA: I have a mini-poodle mix who is pretty hypoallergenic (I'm deathly allergic to cats and some dogs) and doesn't shed. He's really, really fluffy but his hair doesn't shed at all. Except when we first got him he was all matted so his hair fell out in clumps, we had to shave him shortly after getting him fixed. There are a ton of pictures in my bio if you want to see the Howie Hair Progression haha
  • Options
    You'll definitely warm up, unless you're a dog hater and you're just not telling us.

We have a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier, she's 6 months. These dogs do NOT shed one bit, and they'll be really easy on any allergies you might have. I loathed her at first, but she's really finding her place in the family. It probably helps that she sees me as the pack leader. She is not allowed to have any human food whatsoever. She does not sleep with us, and she is not permitted in any bedrooms, or on any furniture. Set rules, be prepared to do a LOT of cleaning, and be patient.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think you'll warm up to it :)

I love my Whompus, but she does not sleep on the bed and isn't allowed on the new couch (leather). We also have boundaries regarding the dinner table and her being around food. I'm fine with little dogs on the bed (over the covers, not in my face) but she takes up too much damn room. We let her sleep on the bed once before she went to the kennel for a week and I ended up sleeping on the couch because she kicked me so much. That was the end of that.

I am a total hypocrit thought because Demon does sleep on the bed with me after Scott goes to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards