Options

Changing the 10 Commandments

2»

Re: Changing the 10 Commandments

• Options
    pixiedust84pixiedust84 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'm cool with them updating the commandments - I think the Bible could use a good overhaul as well. But then I don't believe that God actually wrote either of those things. I believe that they were written by some well intentioned and some not so well intentioned humans and they reflect the times they were written. Why not update them to reflect current times? If humans can write the word of God then, why not now? I always wondered why there weren't more current books of the Bible.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I think they should be modernizing some of the other aspects of the church, like their stance on birth control and evolution...but that's just me.
  • Options
    ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_changing-the-10-commandments?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:79bd1ea2-74df-48e6-90f8-cc533b70da9ePost:878d58fe-b867-4ac9-9e58-aa5b3c0a6cfa">Re: Changing the 10 Commandments</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Changing the 10 Commandments : This is what I was thinking. I agree. This isn't the first time the Bible has been rephrased. I'm pretty sure the word choice changed slightly when they were translated from language to language. Also, the Bible being published in English in the first place was when someone finally realized most people* didn't even understand it as it was in Latin (though shifting from Latin versus rephrasing English is different, I know). Some thought that the Bible was too worthy a document to be printed in such a "lowly" language as English. The point is it was changed to target a different audience. I don't think King James or Guttenberg have a monopoly over the Bible.  Also, FTR I was raised Christian but I'm not really religious. I have my beliefs but I don't attend church regularly anymore.  ETA*-I meant people in England, obviously, prior to the Reformation. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]
    The original language of the New Testament was Greek anyway, and the Old Testament was in Hebrew; the Latin was a translation itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards