Snarky Brides

What do you think? What would you say? kinda long

Okay...My best friend of 7 years reacted horribly to my engagement. She had been having a rough few months in the dating department. But I had no idea my FI was going to pop the question when I invited her on a group vacation she actually left five days early because of my FI popping the question. (there had never been issues between them or us prior to the engagement)   

Well, because of her reaction and the seemingly impossible idea of her being happy for me, I cut ties. A couple months after my engagement I moved out of state for school. Then after seven months of no communication a mutual friend decided it was time to break the silence. We got together  while I was home for a family function and talked through our challenges and reasons why we each felt wronged. That was about four months ago and since then we have been speaking around once or twice every few weeks and things are going well. However, I do not feel our friendship is the same and can ever be the same. And my FI still feels very uncomfortable around her.

Here is the kicker! Our wedding is in about eight months and in conversation I had mentioned to her that we still have not found a minister mostly because we can't be there to do pre marital services in person. Well, I walk out of class this week and she sent me a text message saying this"Would love to be involved, I will get ordained!!! And I can preform the service for you"

Thoughts ladies???  How should I respond to this? 
?The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.?

Re: What do you think? What would you say? kinda long

• Oh hell no!  That is such a strange twist...didn't see it coming!!  I would just tell her that's a sweet offer, but we already have a few phone calls in and that you'll let her know if you need her...  Good luck!! 
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with daisylove.  You need to feel comfortable with your officiant, plus that is really odd that she would say that.  Ask yourself what her intentions are...sounds like she's not a true friend.  I totally understand that you're in a jam though.  In eight months you should be able to find a minister who can make an exception b/c of school.  Don't give up or give in to something you're uncomfortable with. 
     I had the same problems you're having and had to jump through hoops to get a deacon but it was worth it in the end...trust me.  Sorry for the long response...I just know exactly how you must feel!  Good luck and God Bless
  • I dont trust it. Strange twist indeed. Do her and yourself a favor & politely decline her offer. You can find a minister anywhere...online, in the phonebook, etc etc. One who you can trust to maintain professionalism and will actually be SANE performing your nuptuals. 

• or ask another family member or friend to become ordained, if that is the route you're taking.
  • That is a strange twist, didn't see it coming either, lol!  Definitely agree with the ladies above, find someone you are comfortable with or see if anyone in your fam or FI's fam knows of a judge or minister that is a friend....etc. 
  • i would say there are some elements in my/his family who are just too traditional, and that  you wanted to use a "regular" minister so as not to deal with them being upset.  if she is truely turned around and happy for you and wants to be a part of things, you could ask her to give a reading if  you want to include her.
  • Just tell her you want to be married by a man or woman of the cloth...  As in a real minister who dedicates his/her life to God.  Not your on again off again friend who filled out an online questionnaire.

Surely she can't be offended if you tell her this.  There IS a huge difference in a real minister and what she's proposing.  Crazy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards