Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Help! My FSIL/Bridesmaid's travel prob

My FSIL/Bridesmaid lives up on Chicago and was going to drive down for the wedding with her boyfriend.  Her car is out of comission and now hte tickets are expensive!  Any advice?

Re: Help! My FSIL/Bridesmaid's travel prob

• Options
    appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    rent a car?
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amtrak?Have her look at Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheaptickets. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Flying is honestly probably the cheapest option.   Check the last minute flight deals at American, the travel sites, hotwire and kayak.com.Renting a car plus buying gas for that long of a trip is going to be really high.    Chicago rental prices are VERY high right now.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I suggested renting a car only because they were already planning on driving and spending the gas. If you get an electric car it would definitely be cheaper in regards to gas :pI love doing the train thing! But it usually takes too long because of the route setups usually. I looked into them for going out of state but they always take 1-3 or 4 days to get you where you need to go which if I drove it would take like half the time. But if the time is the same as it takes to drive I would much rather ride on a train than drive the same amount of time lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there any way your FIL's can help her and the BF with the airfare?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You might want to look at Southwest's site.  You can only purchase their fares through them.  I think they go to and from Midway.
  • Options
    MeghannJanetMeghannJanet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    unfortunately no.  the FILs are in huge $ trouble and we had to buy the MOG outfit and pay for FOG's tux.  Wonderful people, just in a bad spot right now.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just looked at Southwest.  They're under $300 a person.  It might be worthwhile.  They'll have to fly to Love Field though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh apple, I didn't mean anything bad by the rental car suggestion at all!  Normally that's a great way to get around airfare. I just work in the industry and overall the prices there are gonna be about $100 per day with tax for even the smallest car right now.  It's insane.  That's why I said that.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tiffany - no worries! Didn't take it bad at all...just pointing out why I suggested the rental car.and holy bajeebus!!! That is RIDONCKULOUS!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If they do look at rental car options, I have heard that it's significantly cheaper if you rent from a location that isn't an airport.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    terrinski -  That is VERY true, the rate gap is not as large as it used to be, but you can save up to 30% in taxes and concession recovery fees.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Apple-  yeah there is no other word for it than what you said!!   I actually price the off-airport rental cars in Chicago for 2 of the companies and I am amazed at what people are paying... (and they are still selling out every week!)
  • Options
    mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can the boyfriend stay home? I know it's not the best option, but one plane ticket is cheaper than two. Looking at prices, I'm thinking you're going to be looking at around $400 a ticket. Just remember that flexibility is key for cheaper plane tickets. Sometimes leaving a day earlier or returning a day later can make a big difference. We travel alot, so if you have any questions, just let me know!
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
  • Options
    MeghannJanetMeghannJanet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much!  I talked to FSIL several times and she wa able to use an old corporate hook-up and discount for the rental!  They are driving down together, so we still have him to help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards