Snarky Brides
Options

S/O Sticker Shock Poll

What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for?

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting?

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on?

What did you get for a steal?

Re: S/O Sticker Shock Poll

• Options
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for?  photography--after the venue rental itself (of which we should get some of our deposit back), this was the single largest expense

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting? tent/dance floor rental, but not too overboard... it's fine

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on? nothing really, we were all pretty agreeable to what was worth the money, and what wasn't.

What did you get for a steal? food--$1000 for everything to feed 110ish people, including the nonalcoholic drinks. thank goodness for friends.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2010
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for?   As it turns out I am glad we are going hosted bar (I think that's the term).  I am 23 years sober so alcohol at the celebration was not at the forefront of my mind, but T wanted either open bar or hosted bar, and now I am glad we are doing it.  It's very important to us that our guests have a good time, which can be had without alcohol of course, but I know it's an important element of a celebration of any kind.

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting?  Nothing so far.  The dress I bought originally I had some regrets about but I was able to return it with no problems.

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on?  Parents (moms) aren't involved financially and they have not made any suggestions.  Both live thousands of miles away and are just basically pleased with everything T and I have planned so far.

What did you get for a steal?  My second dress.  I got it at a small boutique in Florida.  (and I stole it!  really - I did ;)  Seriously, price-wise it was a deal I could not pass up.  And mom was thrilled to be able to be there with me.
  • Options
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for? A really awesome venue. We're totally paying more for food and alcohol because of our reception venue, but it's beautiful, and the pictures we'll get from this place will be out of this world.

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting? I am starting to regret pocketfold invites. I just started working on them and they are the biggest PITA. They weren't that expensive, since I'm DIY, but they are a huge time sucker.

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on? A really pretty dress. I found the dress I loved under my budget, so that was so awesome. My mom would prefer I spend more money on flowers as opposed to the bar (she actually is pretty pissed I'm "wasting" my money on an open bar). My dad would love it if I offered a steak option, but that's not happening.

What did you get for a steal? I feel I got a fantastic deal for my dress!
  • Options
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for?
    Booze and food. I want people to eat good and drink good.
    Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting?
    Not as of yet. That may change. My dress (and the rest of the ensemble) ended up being way more elaborate than I'd planned, but I don't think I blew the budget with it.
    What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on?
    Booze and food.
    Nothing has been a "steal" but I don't think I've way overpaid for anything either.

PS-Hello Megalicious. I'm happy to see you :)
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_sticker-shock-poll-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:832973b5-8360-4a4c-9342-092ae6e50f2bPost:d256da33-8a77-46e7-9e9d-f36e98388b10">S/O Sticker Shock Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for? <strong>Another vote for photography!</strong>

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting?  <strong>I think we're spending too much money on our rings, but it's kind of a done deal now.</strong>

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on? <strong>They can't believe we aren't getting a limo, but I just can't wrap my brain around spending hundreds of dollars for something I'll use for less than an hour.</strong>

What did you get for a steal? <strong> My $2,000 dress for $499 at a blowout sale!!</strong>
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    The flowers. When we were first engaged and were thinking about the wedding, the flowers were the only thing I really thought of.
    So far, the amount of people and the DJ. We went with someone we know is good, but we could have put that towards a band instead.
    Luckily, this is one area that they haven't commented on.
    The flowers, we're paying under $1000 for all of them. And our decorator, because shes going to do everything. The girl is amazing. Plus I really like her personality.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for? The venue... and photography.

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting? I really wish we had not done a cake, but Mike wanted it so c'est la vie. I just wanted to serve our venues creme brulee which is award winning and would have been included in the per person price and allowed us to save the $6pp cake cutting fee.

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on? We had a $2500 church fee which I know to be more than double what most people pay in the area so I was balking at that bit. My parents reasoned with me that they thought the money going to the Church was being put to good use and I agreed with them.

What did you get for a steal? In general I expected some things to be much higher since we were confined to island vendors. We ended up getting our awesome DJ for way less than the going Boston rate.

Hi LC! Happy to see you too, you know that picture always makes me smile :)
  • Options
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for? Photography.

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting? Not really, but maybe that answer will change after the wedding.

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on? A limo.

What did you get for a steal? Our venue.  IMO it's worth a lot more than we're paying for it.

• Options
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for? Reception Venue (Food,Cake,Open Bar) We wanted somewhere that amazing with great food choices and the venue offers a drink packages along with dinner package so we get a hosted bar for much cheaper.

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting? Guest List. All of our families are local and we see them all the time so we are at 175 just family. Not including close friends and co-workers.

My parent or FILs have not voiced anything really. My mom said not to waste my money are a hosted bar. And I know FMIL wants us to have a catholic ceremony but we are still deciding on that.

What did you get for a steal? Ihaven't gotten it yet but I will most likely get my dress at a steal price. My aunt works for a designer dress company and I will be able to get my dress for her discounted price. Which is pretty much whole sale price.
  • Options
    K ByteK Byte member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My dress. I wanted something that was somewhat unique. I don't want to sound like an a-hole, but I tried on $700 dresses and $3000 dresses and the difference was staggering.

Hmm. Maybe the flowers. I think I'll be freaking out when I see that bill, haha.

My mom convinced us to get a limo even though I didn't think it was necessary (wedding party only has 3 people on each side so we could have just rented a large SUV and had one of the groomsmen drive for way cheaper).

FI's parents were awesome and let us use their frequent flier miles for our honeymoon since flights to Puerto Rico were pretty pricey. :)
  • Options
    Photographer.  And the venue.

not yet

my mom is adamant about a videographer lol

not sure yet.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for? Catering.  It's the thing they'll remember most.

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting? Reception hall.  We should have gotten married in CT.  It would have been cheaper.

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on? Catering.

What did you get for a steal? Flowers.  My friend is doing them as a wedding gift!

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    What is the one thing about your wedding that you are/were willing to pay high prices for? definitely the photographer.  we're both very into photography and we wanted someone amazing.  after all, when it's all over, photos are all we'll have! 

Is there an area you went/want to go overboard on and you regret/are regretting? I have major doubts about the honeymoon.  I wanted to go to Vegas, he wanted a cruise, so we booked the cruise.  I think I'm going to be bored out of my mind and longing for the Bellagio.  But he got so excited talking about us taking a cruise, I didn't push.

What is the one wedding related thing your parents/inlaws think you should be spending your money on? They're being really good about everything, no pushing in any direction whatsoever.

What did you get for a steal? the invitations, and considering the rates of a lot of the other ones we looked at we got our photog for an incredibly reasonable amount, too and like I said, I was willing to shell out some serious money. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards