Snarky Brides
Options

FedEx, you suck

Have to vent somewhere, figured this was as good a place as any lol.
CN: FedEx International Overnight really means you might have your package in a week, mabye, but they won't warn you about that until they already have your package and your money.

Long version: I hired a company to install and configure some equipment for my company  this week, Thursday and Friday, and they're based in the UK.  The equipment is something for my company to make additional revenue from.  I have to pay for their engineer's flight over, hotel, car, food, and his time being here and getting them scheduled for this specific week was a two month process.  I have also already booked a non-refundable flight and hotel for myself to the location we're having the equipment installed.

Last week some guys that work for me here said they had a concern that him bringing the equipment with him would not leave enough time to get the job done right, so why don't we ship the equipment in advance, my guys can install it and then all the engineer has to do is configure it which there would be more than enough time to do, and that leaves us some buffer in case anything goes wrong.  Ok, makes sense to me, I call FedEx and told them what I was shipping, asked if they could pick the stuff up in the UK and ship it priority overnight and if there would be any delay from customs or anything else? They told me no problem, here's all the forms you'll need to fill out to streamline it through customs, so on and so forth.  Sounds fantastic, I order the service, it's a 20 pound box so international overnight costs about $400, almost enough that I could just buy an actual person a seat on a plane to go to the UK and get the box for me but I figure this is FedEx, let them do their job.

Package 'misses the plane' Monday night, even though it was at the depot 8 hours before the flight it missed.  Ok, not sweating yet, we don't need it until Thursday.  Hey, I even get a phone call from someone in the states asking me to fill out one more customs form that they thought US customs might ask for when the package gets here, so I'm thinking great, FedEx is really on top of this, we'll have it Wednesday, no harm in missing a day. 

Tuesday night's flight time comes and goes, package still sitting in the UK.  I call and get some excuse about customs didnt release it.  Um ok, yesterday you told me it was cleared and just missed the plane, now customs has it and you have no idea when they will release it?  I thought the $400 overnight shipping fee included 'streamlined' customs.  After talking to three different people, none left me with a high level of confidence that the package would even leave the UK tonight (Wednesday) and even if it showed up Thursday morning, that would not leave enough time to get everything installed and configured since he flies out Saturday morning.

I call FedEx 'same day' which is an airport to airport service using couriers so basically you can get a package from one point to another in just the amount of time it takes to have someone move it, fly it and bring it to you, no waiting for delivery trucks, it just costs a lot of course.  Same day rep tells me yes, they have the capability of retrieving a package from a FedEx facility and upgrading it to same day, but since the package exists as an overnight already, the 'upgrade' can only be handled by someone on the overnight side initiating it.  This was the only helpful person I've spoken to throughout this ordeal, she went on to tell me that the overnight people typically either have no idea how same day works or will just not feel like doing the paperwork involved and will tell you it can't be done, so when they say that, you tell them you need the package 'expedited' for same day, and then when they tell you they can't do that, you ask to speak to a CAT (customer advocate team) supervisor and that person will be able to do it.  So I call the overnight folks back, they did exactly what she said they'd do, I asked for the CAT supervisor, oops, CAT closed at midnight central time and it's 2 AM at this point.  They don't re-open until 5 AM central and my guy is going to be on a flight two hours before that. 

I take a nap and wake back up at 4 AM to call the UK's equivalent of the CAT team on their international number, tell them the issue, they said they can do the upgrade to same day but unfortunately it would take at least four hours to arrange, which means they wouldn't go get the package until the afternoon, then it would have to go through customs all over again, and it would be unlikely that they'd be able to get the package to me before Thursday afternoon.

I had to call the guy in the UK at that point and tell him ask the airline for your baggage back and cancel the trip.  So fedex cost me the price of the 'overnight' shipping for the box I still don't have and probably won't see for a few more days, cost of the UK guy's plane ticket, two months of time since I'll have to reschedule, my own flight and hotel and the money I'm going to lose from not having this equipment in place when it was supposed to be.

Ok, I feel better, and I'm gonna make sure I don't ship any christmas presents using FedEx lol

Married in Vegas - June 2011

Re: FedEx, you suck

• Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    We use UPS for that very reason.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I'm glad you feel better now, vegas.  Although I'm pretty sure you're trying to knock me out of the LJ club, which is fine by me. :)

That sounds like it wasn't fun.  I hate FedEx too.
    panther
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    FedEx (express) in the US is a VERY different animal. It's run much more efficiently if you use express.

I can't speak to the UK business, but we almost always ship FedEx or USPS, not UPS, unless doing a return that requires it.

There are multiple FedEx companies - Express, Home Delivery, Ground, Office, LTL, etc - all are run differently and with different delivery procedures.

BUT - that does suck.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options

That sucks.  At least you got a person who told you how things "really" work.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I skimmed because holy god that was long, but since FedEx fvcked up, can't you see about them reimbursing you somewhat? Call and raise hell and see what they offer?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fedex-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:84fc5a6b-9874-46c0-9dc6-2110166920a4Post:d9427c28-115e-4860-a66a-4536e4a41d2c">Re: FedEx, you suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]We use UPS for that very reason.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is UPS was cheaper but the reason I didn't use them was they only offered two day service, I figured hey, an extra $50 and I get an extra day buffer to ensure no issues LOL.  I'm guessing UPS was actually being realistic while FedEx was selling me something impossible to deliver.

• Options
    Yeah FedEx does suck. I had issues with them getting my STD magnets shipped from Canada, it took forever. For no apparent reason whatsoever my package sat in West Virginia for 2 days. I always use UPS when the choice is mine. I'd even use DHL over FedEx.

You should write a letter to corporate and complain and get your shipping costs back, at a minimum.

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fedex-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:84fc5a6b-9874-46c0-9dc6-2110166920a4Post:08645479-0dd7-41ac-a0a5-3b6b9d3fc509">Re: FedEx, you suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]I skimmed because holy god that was long, but since FedEx fvcked up, can't you see about them reimbursing you somewhat? Call and raise hell and see what they offer?
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try that but was going to wait until I actually get the box since I dont want to piss them off and have them mess it up even more.

• Options
    Vegas-It sounds like they are giving you the run around because someone messed up. Those jerks.

I also hate FedEx but for the reason that one of their driver in a big rig turned left on red and totaled my car three days before Christmas and tried to blame it on me. I ship everything UPS.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    FedEx sucks.  My company is having serious issues with them right now as well :(
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Vegas, it sounds more like a customs problem than FedEx. They can GET it there, but can't make it clear customs.

YIO, that's a blanket statement condemning about 8 different companies for the actions of one driver/one company.

DHL in the US I believe only does international shipping at this point anyway.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fedex-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:84fc5a6b-9874-46c0-9dc6-2110166920a4Post:33c64391-935f-4119-a423-15376406c280">Re: FedEx, you suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FedEx, you suck : Funny thing is UPS was cheaper but the reason I didn't use them was they only offered two day service, I figured hey, an extra $50 and I get an extra day buffer to ensure no issues LOL.  I'm guessing UPS was actually being realistic while FedEx was selling me something impossible to deliver.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

Not that UPS never makes mistakes, but my family owns a trucking company and owns large warehouses where we (well not me) do fulfilment and shipping of orders.  We send out 2-3 pallets of UPS a day, and use many LTL companies if it is out of our route area.

FedEx reps come to my Dads shop once a week trying to woo him over.  We used them years ago and it was such a cluster fvck.  UPS seems to have better customer service and follows through on what they promise.  IF they say they will pick up between 2-2:15, they will. 

When a customer wants to ship fedex on their own account, its a 3 hour window and they never show up in that window.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options

That's pretty effed up, I would be so angry about losing all of that money!

About 6 years ago I won a 20 inch tv from work for a performance contest and it was shipped via FedEx. Although it had my correct address on it, it was delivered to the wrong address. When I called FedEx to find out where it was delivered, they couldn't tell me. Who signed for it? It was left at the door. Really? You left a tv on someone's doorstep, no questions asked? Yep.

Luckily they admitted it was their fault and had to replace the tv, but I couldn't believe they were so incompetent.  The real kicker was - the guy who received the tv called me (my number was on the packing slip) and offered to "sell" me the tv back.  What a scuzz.

Anniversary
  • Options
    LOL I want a free TV to show up at my door!

• Options
    I didn't read all of that, but I agree that FedEx sucks huge balls.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fedex-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:84fc5a6b-9874-46c0-9dc6-2110166920a4Post:f1fede9a-a1aa-4ac6-8604-b35683790185">Re: FedEx, you suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vegas, it sounds more like a customs problem than FedEx. They can GET it there, but can't make it clear customs.

DHL in the US I believe only does international shipping at this point anyway.
    Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

I dont think it became a customs problem until they realized the day following when it was supposed to have left that they hadn't done anything with it.  Then after that, no one cared to get involved in finding the package, getting it to customs on time to get it out for the second day's opportunity, now day 3 and it's still not showing as even moving yet via online tracking.

I ship stuff to the UK regularly using USPS who uses DHL on the delivering end and that stuff clears customs same day every time so I'm not giving much weight to FedEx using customs as the excuse, I think they're only doing that because they know their terms of service probably gives them an out from issuing refunds if it was a customs delay.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fedex-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:84fc5a6b-9874-46c0-9dc6-2110166920a4Post:f1fede9a-a1aa-4ac6-8604-b35683790185">Re: FedEx, you suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vegas, it sounds more like a customs problem than FedEx. They can GET it there, but can't make it clear customs. YIO, that's a blanket statement condemning about 8 different companies for the actions of one driver/one company. DHL in the US I believe only does international shipping at this point anyway.

I didn't realize there were so many different parts of FedEx. It was their company regulated insurance that tried to screw me over. It's this among many other reasons I dislike FedEx. The whole story is very long and drawn out, but includes them accusing  me of being drunk, speeding, running a red light, claiming they had a witness that didn't exist, changing the name of their driver four times on the internal accident report, trying to low ball what my car was worth after receiving the info from the appraiser, changing the drivers statement after it was recorded by the police and much more. I had no car for almost a month and they refused to pay for a rental until they claimed responsibility. All the while ignoring my insurance company, which I now realize I should have had rental coverage with. It was all worked out with a video of the accident they didn't think I would actually get. So I feel justified in saying I dislike whatever part of FedEx I dealt with, but I will give you it was only part of a much larger company. However, I do not know which part I am dealing with so I avoid them all together. After it was all said and done I spoke to a friends dad who drives for them and he told me that they rarely pay out on a claim and will manipulate the information until it seems to be the other person fault. This is hearsay, but after what happened to me, I don't doubt it happens in his hub.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh wow, that's a giant ball of suck.  At least the plane carrying your box didn't go down in a storm and get washed up on shore with Tom Hanks for years.

If's it's any consolation, we had our new compute server installed last week and were supposed to have the new storage server installed too, but when it finally arrive (it was late) we discovered that they'd told us the wrong power spec, so we couldn't even plug it in.  The guy that was here doing the software config can do that part remotely, thank goodness, but it was still a giant PITA.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fedex-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:84fc5a6b-9874-46c0-9dc6-2110166920a4Post:bba54039-2e4c-445f-9d6a-e69d8bcc899b">Re: FedEx, you suck</a>:
    [QUOTE] If's it's any consolation, we had our new compute server installed last week and were supposed to have the new storage server installed too, but when it finally arrive (it was late) we discovered that they'd told us the wrong power spec, so we couldn't even plug it in. 
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

Ha, I've had the exact same issue, a lot of new stuff wants 208v power with the twist lock plugs, we had to start asking about that once we ran into that issue so we could get the correct circuits provisioned going forward.

Tech talk on SB hahaha

• Options
    Vegas, yeah, I'm sorry. That sucks. I get lucky, I guess.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fedex-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:84fc5a6b-9874-46c0-9dc6-2110166920a4Post:908ea467-e7dd-4147-9f4c-87a4162dd7b9">Re: FedEx, you suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FedEx, you suck : Ha, I've had the exact same issue, a lot of new stuff wants 208v power with the twist lock plugs, we had to start asking about that once we ran into that issue so we could get the correct circuits provisioned going forward. Tech talk on SB hahaha
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

8) Nerds unite.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's why all my Christmas has to be shipped by Friday. J isn't allowed to ship personal on his rate any closer to 2 weeks before Christmas. But they have all arrived. And if an express driver sees his name on a package, they pull it and bring it to him, instead of delivering it to the house.

Their volume is massive right now, plus their largest customer is the USPS. They have (and I'm only talking Express) all trucks on the roads, rental vans if trucks are broken down, and no one can take time off between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Ground - whole other story.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fedex-suck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:84fc5a6b-9874-46c0-9dc6-2110166920a4Post:06d0ad70-d407-4626-9300-255c573bbe3c">Re: FedEx, you suck</a>:
    [QUOTE]They have (and I'm only talking Express) all trucks on the roads, rental vans if trucks are broken down, and no one can take time off between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Ground - whole other story.

During December most of my home UPS deliveries come from a guy in a golf cart. :-)  Seriously, first time I saw it I was like wtf is going on.  Apparently in some neighborhoods where there's a certain expected volume of daily deliveries, UPS will hire someone that lives in the neighborhood for just the month of December and the truck will dump everything off at that person's house, then they bring the rest of the neighborhood the packages via official UPS golf cart, it's hilarious when you see it.

<a href="http://www.bradenton.com/2010/10/19/2664452/all-aboard-for-golf-cart-delivery.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.bradenton.com/2010/10/19/2664452/all-aboard-for-golf-cart-delivery.html</a>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards