Snarky Brides
Options

$40 million you've got to be kidding

Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:e253ff22-6201-4215-8857-8a2af495bcdf">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought they'd have way more people than that. 
    Posted by reils[/QUOTE]

No kidding! My brother invited like 400, I bet the royal family has more friends than them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imagemy read shelf:
    Christina's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I heard 1900 but I don't know if all of those were invited to one of the receptions
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:e5a10f3f-a598-4d85-be1d-a29f08a69cc7">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : I know that TK is known for these whole "budget wars" and all, and I'm sorry that you took my comment wrong. Really, that was not my intention. I don't know why in the world you would assume I'd want people to feel bad about their budget. 
    Posted by BunnyChii[/QUOTE]

I totally get you. It happens on the flip side too. A LOT of brides on different boards will hear that you're skimping on this or cutting back on that to fit into a limited budget and they'll scoff at the amount that you can/are willing to spend. I hear about a $20k wedding and my thoughts are, omg I could have my complete DREAM wedding for that much, and for them, it's their starting number. Or when I hear a bride who goes over-budget by some-odd thousand dollars, I think 'it must be nice to be able to pull that out of your bum for something that seems so frivolous.' But then I think about what I am spending and I have friends who got married for a lot less and they think that I'M the one being frivolous. So it's just individual perspectives, but I don't think your quote was judge-y...and if I could afford it, you better believe I'd be having a super pimped out wedding! lol
  • Options
    you can bet your bottom dollar that if an American's president's daughter/son was getting married and the tax payers' had to pay into the millions for security people would be all over that...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:c6fe11aa-1077-4810-870c-680cccbfad08">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : True that sister. I totally get that. I don't know, I guess to me overindulging isn't stylish, sexy or something I strive for. Now i get that they're royalty and that something grand is expected, <strong>but honestly could they not do a really beautiful wedding for $1 million and use $40 million for a charity?</strong>
    Posted by ewhiteman06[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>right? That's what I don't get about some (not all) wealthy people... they basically throw money away. If I was well off, I would still look for deals, clip coupons, etc. I suppose that since I'm not in that position, I obviously cannot comprehend it but it breaks my heart ... ]:</div>
  • Options
    Why do you care how they spend their money?  Why should they have to give 40 mil to charity?  They give millions to charity every year.  Will & Kate are asking that their guests donate to a charity rather than give them a gift.  It's none of your business how people spend their goddamn money.  Seriously.  If they want to set it on fire, that's their right.  Jesus Christ, I would hate to be rich.  Everybody thinks they should have a say in how I spend my own damn money.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:526f9555-3dc1-4bac-bae4-d5c7a4ddbe9d">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : Aprov, I heard they will have a traditional bride's cake and then the traditional groom's cake, which is <strong>white fruit cake.</strong> 
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

So they <em>are</em> inviting Elton John then?

Too much?

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:526f9555-3dc1-4bac-bae4-d5c7a4ddbe9d">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : Aprov, I heard they will have a traditional bride's cake and then the traditional groom's cake, which is white fruit cake. 

Bleh white fruit cake.  Sorry but not a fan of fruit cake.....or at least what I think of fruit cake.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:16e33033-27e5-4c16-9042-4ff337b88b6f">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : right? That's what I don't get about some (not all) wealthy people... they basically throw money away. If I was well off, I would still look for deals, clip coupons, etc. I suppose that since I'm not in that position, I obviously cannot comprehend it but it breaks my heart ... ]:
    Posted by Milsey32[/QUOTE]

It breaks your heart that people spend their money how they see fit?  Get over yourself.  It is no one's business to tell me how to spend my money (or anyone elses for that matter).  Throwing money away?  How rude of you to judge the validity, cost, and importance of their wedding.  Stuff like this always smacks of jealous and being pathetic.
  • Options
    I love Nuggs.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:763387dc-b27b-4a40-beb4-0817df629733">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : So they are inviting Elton John then? Too much?
    Posted by NuggetBrain[/QUOTE]

And I giggled loudly and woke my H.  Thanks Nuggs.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:e9a61865-5f0e-4e48-8d10-26be91a19758">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]you can bet your bottom dollar that if an American's president's daughter/son was getting married and the tax payers' had to pay into the millions for security people would be all over that...
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

To be honest if it was being used a diplomatic affair with heads of state and other countries being present I'd happily support the cost.  Its a matter of throwing an affair on the world stage, to do less then provide security would make America look like an asshole. 

Also, an American president's child isn't ensured the throne by divine right.  They aren't royalty and thats very different.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:7c167fab-9ad4-407e-8f18-e89ef7c51de4">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : Me either!  I think of fruit cake as cake that is hard as a rock and  could be substituted for a hockey puck.

Then again people were put off initially with my wedding cake flavors but in the end everyone loved them.  So maybe it'll be wonderfully yummy.  I hope so for her sake.

So they do the cake on the face thing in England?
  • Options
    Will is smart lol Mmmmmmm cookie cake.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:16e33033-27e5-4c16-9042-4ff337b88b6f">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : right? That's what I don't get about some (not all) wealthy people... they basically throw money away.<strong> If I was well off, I would still look for deals, clip coupons, etc</strong>. I suppose that since I'm not in that position, I obviously cannot comprehend it but<strong> it breaks my heart ... ]:
    </strong>Posted by Milsey32[/QUOTE]

Congrats.

Seriously, It breaks your heart...that they have money to spend on a wedding? It's a royal wedding. I think they get a pass on your judgements.

secondly, what you view as throwing money away probably isn't the way the person with the money spends it...and it's thier money.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:e9a61865-5f0e-4e48-8d10-26be91a19758">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]you can bet your bottom dollar that if an American's president's daughter/son was getting married and the tax payers' had to pay into the millions for security people would be all over that...
    Posted by number55[/QUOTE]

Lyndon Johnson's and Richard Nixon's daughters got married in the White House during their fathers' presidency. Woodrow Wilson's two daughters got married in the White House. So what? You're a president, you have a daughter of marrying age, and she gets married while you're in office. Grover Cleveland himself got married while in office.

I also suspect there was multiple Secret Service agents at Chelsea Clinton's wedding. Former presidents still have them, and Hilary Rodham Clinton is in the Presidential Cabinet.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:d21dafb9-70c6-4135-9af4-4a2f474b6b0b">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding : Lyndon Johnson's and Richard Nixon's daughters got married in the White House during their fathers' presidency. Woodrow Wilson's two daughters got married in the White House. So what? You're a president, you have a daughter of marrying age, and she gets married while you're in office. Grover Cleveland himself got married while in office.<strong> I also suspect there was multiple Secret Service agents at Chelsea Clinton's wedding. Former presidents still have them, and Hilary Rodham Clinton is in the Presidential Cabinet.
    </strong>Posted by missy68[/QUOTE]

This is true.
    You are wise.

So I guess that would be a no, people won't make a big deal about having to pay for the security..since no one did really...
  • Options
    Break down of costs:

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/04/prince-william-kate-middleton-royal-wedding-multi-million-costs

It looks like security is costing the bulk of the money at 32 million. 
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Cleaning? Hm. I never thought that would be a cost. But that's interesting.
    I like how they're paying for it themselves (royal family) besides the security
  • Options
    Secret Service/Security goes hand in hand with any type of leader, including their families. I think most people get that.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Nuggs is cracking me up.

I heard a few months ago that the guestlist was tiered. 

It is tiered, the link with the breakdown of the budget also has the breakdown of the events and how many people are invited.  Brace yourselves for the newbs coming in saying "but Wills and Kate had a tiered reception!!!!!1!!!1!!!"

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:679a9f9b-ee94-455b-8651-e5d1fec2e1c8">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Nuggs is cracking me up. I heard a few months ago that the guestlist was tiered.  It is tiered, the link with the breakdown of the budget also has the breakdown of the events and how many people are invited.  Brace yourselves for the newbs coming in saying "but Wills and Kate had a tiered reception!!!!!1!!!1!!!"
    Posted by marriedfilingjointly[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are 3 or 4 events total.  Shame on them ;)  There was also a dress code on the invitation.  Like you can't figure out if you're going to a royal wedding you should probably dress the fuuck up.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I can't wait to see this freaking dress. That's the only thing I really care about haha. Well, I'll probably still watch the coverage, but I just HAVE to see this 400k wedding gown!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:986ed048-d759-4f98-95f6-6f735c3bc94e">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't wait to see this freaking dress. That's the only thing I really care about haha. Well, I'll probably still watch the coverage, but I just HAVE to see this 400k wedding gown!
    Posted by K Byte[/QUOTE]

Not going to lie....I love sparkle.  I hope she has some diamonds or other jewels sewn onto the dress.  Or maybe seed pearls.  Or maybe Italian silk with venetian lace.....<sigh />  I could totally design a $400k wedding dress.
  • Options
    I also want to see which tiara she ends up wearing.  I love tiaras even though I didn't wear one at my wedding.
  • Options
    I wonder what kind of favors they'll have.  I hope it's a house.  "Welcome to the royal wedding.  Here's a deed to a house.  You're seated at table 37."

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:08f6693f-a42b-4568-93cc-51db700f5164">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wonder what kind of favors they'll have.  I hope it's a house.  "Welcome to the royal wedding.  Here's a deed to a house.  You're seated at table 37."

Can you imagine?  Though would this house be in England?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_40-million-youve-got-kidding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9730f505-3960-4623-9769-61103fcd4fa7Post:08f6693f-a42b-4568-93cc-51db700f5164">Re: $40 million you've got to be kidding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wonder what kind of favors they'll have.  I hope it's a house.  "Welcome to the royal wedding.  Here's a deed to a house.  You're seated at table 37."

The favors should be announced and given out by Oprah.

"AND YOU GET A HOUSE! AND YOU GET A HOUSE! AND YOU TOO!"
  • Options
    I want a pony. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards