Snarky Brides
Options

Can I ask a baby question?

My friend is about 6 months along, and I want to get her some baby stuff. Her husband is gone for the summer, and she has no family here.

They've got a one bedroom apartment, and will only be here for another year. They don't plan on a nursery because the baby will sleep in the bed with them.
I've picked up some clothes, but what else might be good?

I'm thinking highly functional and doesn't take up much space. Her friend might be throwing her a shower, but I don't know if that will pan out. I'm thinking maybe some sort of theme basket, maybe? I avoid the baby section. Help please?

Re: Can I ask a baby question?

• Options
    Babies!

Um, receiving blankets, clothes, I'm totally drawing a blank....
  • Options
    Umm...maybe bring over some dinners if you are physically close to her. Maybe extra baby towels (what are they called, burp cloths?). Extra wipes maybe?
  • Options
    I'm completely baby stupid - but I'm sure blankets and onesies in gradually growing sizes are pretty good to give.

They're going to share the bed with the newborn baby though!?  Again... I'm baby stupid.  But they're not even going to get a little bassinette (sp?) for the kid to sleep in?  I'd be so afraid I'd squish the baby!
    panther
  • Options
    I will probably be taking care of her pit bull  pup for a few weeks, to give her some down time. Food is a really good idea. They're both finishing up their degrees, so it will be a busy time for them. 
    Is a receiving blanket just a blanket? (Yeah, I'm that clueless.)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I always make knitted washclothes, and parents go crazy for them. I seriously cannot knit them fast enough.  Apparently you can't have too many washclothes. Seriously. They're used as diaper cloths for newborns, and then you just need them for pretty much everything after that.

For something more high-end http://www.armsreach.com/shop-3/the-mini-6/
    or
    http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/Supreme_Snuggle_Nest_Co_Sleeper_Baby_Bed.htm

Having a baby sleep with me would scare the crap out of me. I watch too many real-life medical dramas. Not criticizing, but if she doesn't have either of the above, could be really useful.
  • Options
    Is she planning on BFing? If not maybe some bottles and a pump? Clothes are always a good thing. Also get her those prego pillows, you know the "U" shaped big ones, they are also good for babies when they go down for a nap you can stick them in the pillow so they don't roll off the bed or couch, plus it will make mommy more comfortable. Some little toys for the baby might be nice also one of those play mat things when you put the baby on the floor to roll around so its not on the dirty floor. I have no idea. good luck
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I just looked up my friend's baby gift registry and here's some stuff that was on it... they seem to be useful items.

flannel blanket
    microwave sterilizer
    bottle brush (for cleaning I assume)
    ear thermometer
    baby healthcare kit
    diapers
    onesies
    diapers, and changing related items (wipes, lotion, etc)
    swaddle wraps
    bottles and nipples
  • Options
    That snuggle thing is kind of awesome.

They haven't found out the sex, so clothes are a little wierd. Is green really androgynous? Because I think Ninja Turtles.
  • Options
    Also diapers, wahscloths, etc.  I like to get people the practical stuff that they usually don't get too much of at the shower.  Maybe you can make a basket with bath supplies?  THose tend to be expensive.  For my friend, I bought her the baby tub (you can get some for as low as 30 bucks), washcloths, baby wash and lotion, diaper cream, diapers, etc.  I think most moms appreciate the cute stuff, but are really grateful for practical gifts.
  • Options
    I have no idea if she is breastfeeding. Microwave sterilizer? I didn't know these things existed.

She is married, but the baby wasn't really planned. She has about as much baby knowledge as I do. They're both ridiculously smart people, so they will figure it out. But I don't think she knows too much about what to get either.
  • Options
    I don't know if they have one/are planning on buying one but they have little baby beds that go in your bed (yes that made sense in my head) that prevent you from rolling onto the baby or the baby from suffocating in the pillows. Maybe see if she needs one of those?

Oh! Baby first aid kit! My sil said once I get pregnant that is the first thing she's buying me, because most of the time the mom won't think about it until its 3am and the baby is sick.
  • Options
    Okay that basket is awesome. And if the baby isn't cute, they could totally leave it on someone's doorstep in that. :P

I don't think she is registering. None of her family is here, and all of our friends are college age.
  • Options
    Oh yes, I always love the baby tub stuffed with stuff. So cute! Like little hooded towel, baby shampoo and wash, lotion, wash clothes, bath toys, etc..

Wipe warmer, Diaper genie, bottle rack...

A receiving blanket is a thinner blanket that are good to swaddle them in when they're newborns.
  • Options
    This is not helping my baby fever...

I dont know your budget but do they have a stoller and car seat?
  • Options
    That bucket thing sounds pretty neat. A diaper genie sounds....magical?

I think I'll look into that sleeping thing and a bath bucket. Practical is definitely the goal.
  • Options
    They have literally nothing at this point. I'm going to save these links and get her opinion before I get anything, but I want to get her a few really useful things.
  • Options
    I agree with katie on the baby kit. I did one for a friend and included: little bitty baby nail clippers, Mylecon drops (poor babies and their gassy tummies!), lavendar shampoo and lotion, baby Tylenol, the bulb aspirator thingie, Beaudreaux's Butt Paste... I think that's it.

Also, swaddling blankets are supposedly useless if the baby is born large. Regular sized blankets work fine and are big enough for a longer period. There's a Magic Swaddler thing out there somewhere that is supposedly awesome too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options

My sister used one of those baskets for her son to sleep in bed with her when he was an infant. They are too small to use for long but it made her more comfortable when he was so little. We coslept too without anything. It was just easier for us with BFing throughout the night, we got much more sleep that way and I woke up at the slightest noise so it didn't worry me.

• Options
    Dude, Roxy, they might just give you the baby. The Dad is Native American, so I garuantee the baby will be beautiful.
  • Options
    Diaper genies are a waste of money. You can use a plain trash can. I'd go lurk on 1st Tri on the bump. They frequently have "what's been the most useful"? and "what's the biggest waste?" posts.
  • Options
    Hmm, I'm guessing they will end up wanting to keep it. I really, really want to experience the whole pregnancy bit too.
  • Options
    I take it she doesn't have a registry?

How much would you like to spend?  My answer depends on that.  :-p

I do agree with the sleep thing if they're bed sharing.  We have a cosleeper that attaches to our bed so she's close, but has her own space.  They're expensive, though...we borrowed it from a friend.

I'd also suggest a vibrating bouncer seat.  They're great and a good way to contain the baby if you need to do something, especially since they're portable.  I put her in it and carry her into the bathroom with me when I need to take a shower.

I'd also suggest a Moby wrap - it's $40 and it's just a piece of fabric, but it's an amazing way to carry your baby hands free.  There are many ways you can put the baby in depending on their age and it folds up super small since it's just fabric.  It was a lifesaver when we traveled in the airport 2 weeks ago.

This might be obvious, but a diaper bag?

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Bec20Bec20 member
    First Comment

Well, diapers are always good.  Other basic items (pacifiers, bottles if they are formula feeding, burp cloths) also seem to be popular with parents as gifts.  I've heard several people comment that they got tons of cute clothes that the baby outgrew quickly, but not as many of the useful things.  My mother actually said that's one of the reasons she loved not knowing the genders of her babies was that she got useful items when she had her baby shower instead of eighty pink dresses, a fuschia high chair, lavender stroller, etc.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-ask-baby-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:98dc8ca9-6011-4a9f-bf49-aae1443109cePost:91f3983c-18a5-4f53-a783-b01f69c45234">Re: Can I ask a baby question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with katie on the baby kit. I did one for a friend and included: little bitty baby nail clippers, Mylecon drops (poor babies and their gassy tummies!), lavendar shampoo and lotion, baby Tylenol, the bulb aspirator thingie, Beaudreaux's Butt Paste... I think that's it. Also, swaddling blankets are supposedly useless if the baby is born large. Regular sized blankets work fine and are big enough for a longer period. There's a Magic Swaddler thing out there somewhere that is supposedly awesome too.
    Posted by brookelynpaisley[/QUOTE]

Lavender stuff is not supposed to be used until the baby is 6 months old, I'm not really sure of the reason but I know my pediatrician told me that. And Babies R Us has a bunch of those swaddle blankets. Those were really awesome too!

Maybe throw in a baby book too? We had What to Expect The First Year and it was pretty good.

• Options
    Oh, and we use the Swaddle Mes by Summer and like them a lot.  People also rave about the Miracle Blanket.

Swaddling with receiving blankets is passe, lol.  And much harder because the damned thing doesn't stay shut.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-ask-baby-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:98dc8ca9-6011-4a9f-bf49-aae1443109cePost:45854b68-886e-4c61-a7e6-a6bfc954ceac">Re: Can I ask a baby question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can I ask a baby question? :<strong> Lavender stuff is not supposed to be used until the baby is 6 months old, I'm not really sure of the reason but I know my pediatrician told me that.</strong> And Babies R Us has a bunch of those swaddle blankets. Those were really awesome too! Maybe throw in a baby book too? We had What to Expect The First Year and it was pretty good.
    Posted by amalama[/QUOTE]

I had no idea! The two friends who recommended it both used it with their babies from the time they were newborns.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about $75. I'm also going to do photos for her at 1 week, 2 weeks, and 1 month.

Roxy-She has been so sick. She works almost 60 hours a week, and was sick almost every day of her first trimester.
  • Options
    Oh, and don't waste money on pretty burp cloths.  We used them for a few days before switching to the old fashioned cloth diapers.  They're much cheaper, bigger, and more absorbant.  We have 24 and go through them every few days since Em is a spitter.  Fun.

• Options
    Ohh geez, poor thing :( I'm assuming I'll take after my mom and have no bloat, no stretch marks, no sickness, no nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards