Snarky Brides
Options

Can I ask a baby question?

2»

Re: Can I ask a baby question?

• Options

Baby Book! That is going on the list.

I didn't realize there were this many baby items. How intimidating.

• Options
    I think it might just be an extra cautious thing because of sensitive skin so probably not a big deal! I just remember asking the doc if that stuff worked when we were going through a sleepless phase and she told us to wait. Our daughter did also have a lot of skin problems so she may have just told us not to because she was already having trouble!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Dont be intimidated. Honestly, there are so many baby products out there, and while there are things that make life convenient, newborns have few actual essentials. They need to be clothed, diapered, cleaned, fed, warmed, and stimulated. My mom is a minimalist, and I tend to feel the same way. There are a lot of products with hype, but I'd recommend asking actual moms (like Sucrets, Tide, and the Bump girls) what their absolute lifesavers are.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas ladies.

I'm really thankful I just have dogs and a cat right about now. :P
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-ask-baby-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:98dc8ca9-6011-4a9f-bf49-aae1443109cePost:4934b017-6c40-495b-b8fb-1ba74a14f4fc">Re: Can I ask a baby question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it might just be an extra cautious thing because of sensitive skin so probably not a big deal! I just remember asking the doc if that stuff worked when we were going through a sleepless phase and she told us to wait. Our daughter did also have a lot of skin problems so she may have just told us not to because she was already having trouble!
    Posted by amalama[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Lavendar lotion didn't exist when I was a colicky baby. My parents drove me around in the car and I slept in my car seat the first few months of my life.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-ask-baby-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:98dc8ca9-6011-4a9f-bf49-aae1443109cePost:aaa5aa85-6966-4e7d-bc5a-c943d69a6d64">Re: Can I ask a baby question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dont be intimidated. Honestly, there are so many baby products out there, and while there are things that make life convenient, newborns have few actual essentials. They need to be clothed, diapered, cleaned, fed, warmed, and stimulated. My mom is a minimalist, and I tend to feel the same way. There are a lot of products with hype, but I'd recommend asking actual moms (like Sucrets, Tide, and the Bump girls) what their absolute lifesavers are.
    Posted by brookelynpaisley[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, especially in a small apartment. A lot of stuff that seems like it would be nice to have won't really get used a lot and with limited space they will probably want to keep it to the basics.

• Options
    Yeah, they will be moving for grad school next summer, so the less bulk the better.
  • Options
    This is a must for every baby gift basket.  It's $12 at walmart or target:

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2341&e=detail&pcat=buocean&pid=43203

If you do any sort of lotion, make sure it's scent and dye free, because you don't know if the baby will have sensative skin.  Aquaphor baby shampoo/wash is a good one.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think green is ok for both sexes- I also like red for either sex! I think if you find a good deal on something (blanket, bib, washcloths), BUY it. The baby won't care what color it is, and it'll be in the wash so much, neither will the parents. ;)

• Options

They should really think about investing in a crib. I understand that they are in a one bedroom, but if the baby sleeps with them, by the time they are a year old they won't want to sleep in their own bed. Not to mention you do have the possibility of smothering them or rolling ontop of them if you aren't super careful when they are sleeping in the same bed as you are.

I would suggest getting them stuff that mother's usually don't think about when making their registry. Butt Paste, baby clothes hangers, outlet covers, diapers in larger sizes because everyone is going to get them newborn and 1. They also make sleepers for when the child will be sleeping in the same bed as the parent that keep them from rolling and kind of keep anything else from rolling ontop of them, blankets being really close to their face, etc. You may want to get them that if they really aren't going to invest in a crib.

Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2010

diapers, diapers, & diapers...oh and lots of wipes.  Buy a bunch of different sizes because babies don't stay in the same size for very long.  One thing I learned, especially with clothing, babies are rarely true to size for how old they are. 

• Options

I would recommend a Boppy, those things are wonderful.  I think they are around $30.  Also the swaddle blankets, all new moms need to be able to turn their babies into burritos :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Diapers and wipes. I was more excited about getting them than anything. But, find out if she wants a playpen. We have 3. One in the nursery, one in our room, and the travel one. I couldn't live without them.
  • Options
    I second the Boppy, plus a cover.

And... the most amazing thing ever - its called a "nighttime pacifier," but little parts of either the design or the handle glow in the dark - you can see it without turning on the light! I try to stick one in every gift I send a newborn, when I can find one. Babies R Us is usually the best place.

Also, it's a little early, but stick a board book in there. Begin the baby's library. Andy has gotten a book with every gift I've given him. I've written something in everything (but, I'm his aunt, so that's a little different). My SIL loved her wipe warmer, because Andy didn't scream when the cold wipe touched his butt.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I don't think you should buy her any sort of cosleeper. If she wants to sleep with the baby in her bed then she might not even use the cosleeper. Alot of people cosleep. I would get her the practical things like PPs said. Also when buying alot of cloths I would not buy alot of the smaller sizes. Most stores have like a 5 pack of onesies for cheap (usually there white ). But I would get a few different sizes.

I also agree on getting her some baby books. You can get them cheap on the baby and kid section on craigslist or even goodwill. People donate them all the time and you can get them for like a dollar there.

Defiantly get a baby first aid kit. Also most stores have like a whole kit that has the nail clippers and all in a kit. Those are great to have.

Good Luck .
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I would suggest maybe going in with her on a bassinette. Unless she is hell bent on the baby actually sleeping physically in the bed with them. Otherwise, she may never get that kid out of bed! My sister has a 9 year old that is now starting to sleep on her own b/c she let her in the bed from the get go.
  • Options
    My friends' 2 kids got a lot of use out of a baby papasan chair. It doesn't take up too much space, and they can sleep in it very well. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thus far, I've gotten a few outfits, and a ton of books. But the baby won't be reading Peter Pan or The Princess and the Goblin for a while I suppose.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-ask-baby-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:98dc8ca9-6011-4a9f-bf49-aae1443109cePost:370e92ae-4578-4cd9-8682-43990e951542">Re: Can I ask a baby question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can I ask a baby question? : I know many a person who would disagree with this statement.  And that's what co-sleepers are made for, so you don't roll over on your baby.
    Posted by mag920[/QUOTE]

If you had read my whole post you'd see that I also suggested a co-sleeper. I have a three year old, no it doesn't make me a genius about kids, but I have been there once before.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     My favorite things to receive for my baby were diapers and wipes. The swaddle blankets are awesome. I don't know how I would have made it without those. And I love my diaper genie. I didn't bust it out of the box for awhile but after I did it made a huge difference. Especially since they live in a small place I would think the smell would be really bad in just a regular trash can! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_can-ask-baby-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:98dc8ca9-6011-4a9f-bf49-aae1443109cePost:bf7a0809-dc86-4b25-a3c5-a362d49315b6">Re: Can I ask a baby question?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Diaper genies are a waste of money. You can use a plain trash can.</strong> I'd go lurk on 1st Tri on the bump. They frequently have "what's been the most useful"? and "what's the biggest waste?" posts.
    Posted by brookelynpaisley[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I loved the diaper genie, it was definitely the best thing I got for my brother. If you use your regular trash can, it will permanently stink in about two days. Also, you would be tempted to use it for other things, which would mean taking it out 3-4 times a day, oppose to the once a day with the genie.</div><div>
    </div><div>I liked the burp cloths, microwave sterilizer, and diapers mentioned by PP's if you want to stay practical.

<div>
    </div></div>
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Swaddle blankets are awesome.  There are also great portable diaper changing pads that fold and go and carry stuff - great for changes in cars or when out.

My son co-slept.  We used a little nest (look it up) and he was fine.  Lots of cultures outside the US do and it's more common here now.
    Our Wedding Day
  • Options
    my sister's diaper genie rocks.

for the majority of my friends, I get them necessities: size 1 diapers, wipes, onesies in size 0-3 months. these are the 3 things that mothers have told me that they need and never have enough of.

my sister got a carseat/stroller combo because she's awesome and I love her.

my best friend got a bunch of clothes, diapers and other necessities: pacifiers, a pacifier clip (also a necessity--they spit out their pacifiers constantly), wipes, baby wash, baby lotion, etc.

Glenna Harding Photography
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards