Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Mixing plastic with the real deal

What do you think about the following for our reception:-Real table linens (polyester) -real napkins (polyester)-metal silverware-heavyweight plastic plates-plastic and styrofoam cupsDoes mixing it up seem weird?  I found silverware that is around the same price (and some were even cheaper) as plastic silverware.  Real plates and cups are not in our budget and we really don't have the room to put the dirty plates and cups when they are done anyways.  The only upside to metal silverware is that we can resale it rather than throwing it away but then that's something extra that the people that are helping us with will have to deal with.

Re: Mixing plastic with the real deal

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you wanting a formal feel? Have you looked at plastic plates that look like china? Check out this link. We just used them a few weeks ago for a luncheon and alot of people started stacking the plates thinking they were not supposed to be thrown away. haha http://www.divinedisposables.com/modules/cart/navigate.php/cart_nav_id/44
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it will be fine if you use those nice, heavy weight, clear plastic plates.  Also, get the clear cups.  I think styrofoam cups will look a little cheap (and they are bad for the environment anyway). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We aren't really going for real formal...we already have the table cloths and napkins so we would like to follow through with using them!Thanks for the link...we will look into those.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh ok. I think the styrofoam kinda threw me off. I think it would like nice with clear plastic.
  • Options
    almoyoalmoyo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I considered buying the nice plastic plates for my wedding, but ended up buying real ceramic plates from Ikea. They were .79 each and awesome!At Party City, the plastic plates are around a dollar each.
  • Options
    emylianaemyliana member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could also rent silverware, plates and glasses instead of buying them
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whatever fits your budget. I'm doing satin tablecloths and my plates are from smarty had a party and are the square in the bone color. It looks wonderful. Plus they can just toss them in the trash.
  • Options
    tarleton05tarleton05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do the real linens and plastic plates/utensils! I just got married and that is what I did. Everything was great and I got lots of compliments on how elegant everything was. Don't waste your money!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards