Snarky Brides
Options

Q for Moms of little ones

I'm asking here because, quite frankly, The Bump scares me and I rarely get useful advice there and I know there are several other moms on this board.

Anyone have any tips for feeding solids to DD? She's 7.5 months and we've been doing it for about 2.5 months but just seem to be getting nowhere. She keeps pushing it out with her tongue and it ends up everywhere except her tummy.

I'm freaking out a little today because we have a weight check-up and it was not good. DD still hasn't doubled her birthweight and now they are sending us to the "Failure to Thrive" clinic (how scary sounding is that name?) next month for testing. The doctor kept asking about solids which we do every night through the week and twice a day on weekends but I'm worried we're not doing it well enough.
DD Lea, born 04/21/10
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BFP #4 It's a BOY!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
CP: July 2011
BFP #3: 11/3/2011 M/C 12/12/11
We miss you and love you always, little firecrackers!

Re: Q for Moms of little ones

• Options
    What do you mean by solids? At 7.5 months, she should not be above stage 2 of baby food and that is still pretty soupy. Is she still drinking at least 3 bottles of formula/breast milk per day?
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    Are you bottle or breast feeding?
  • Options
    Are you adding cereal to her bottle?
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_q-moms-of-little-ones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a9dcef33-4e0b-44d7-b7d6-37139c576e80Post:8f2432d2-1ff6-4ab7-b3e7-638114b1f774">Re: Q for Moms of little ones</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you adding cereal to her bottle?
    Posted by LesPaul[/QUOTE]

This is what I was going to ask. It was key thing I did with my son.
  • Options
    We're bottle feeding. I breastfed exclusively for the first three months but when I returned to work, my schedule just wasn't allowing me to keep up with pumping.

Our doctor calls them "solids" but it's the stage one baby foods. I'm not really sure why he calls them that because they don't seem very solid to me but he's a family doctor, not a pedi so maybe he just uses
    DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
  • Options
    I'm not a mom, but I am a caregiver, and because she's still pushing food out of her mouth with her tongue, she's not physically ready to have solids.  For her to be ready she has to have lost her "extrusion reflex".  The extrusion reflex is what keep small infants from swallowing to much.  Also she should double her birth weight before she begins in solids.  And NEVER put cereal in her bottle.  That can cause over eating and spitting up while in bed-can lead to asphyxiation.
  • Options
    We have not. the doctor has never mentioned that. How much would I add?
    DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
  • Options
    By now, she should be on stage 2 and you should be giving her cereal (rice) in her bottle in the morning or from the bowl with some fruit for breakfast.

Breat fed babies are usually smaller, but if she has been on bottles for 4 months, she should have some weight on her.

Maybe you need to feed her a little more at each meal.

Breakfast:

Rice cereal and fruit

Lunch:

Fruit, veggie and formula

Dinner:

Fruit and veggie or cereal again and formula

And at least 1 or 2 bottles (8 ounces) during the day.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_q-moms-of-little-ones?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:a9dcef33-4e0b-44d7-b7d6-37139c576e80Post:9091883f-23e5-4f32-8363-7a6a6707ef95">Re: Q for Moms of little ones</a>:
    [QUOTE] Babies develop at different rates.
    Posted by 1ofThoseDays[/QUOTE]
    <p>This exactly. Just as adults come in all sizes, babies are equally individual. So long as she is healthy otherwise, her small size should not be a problem. </p><p> </p><p>Talk to the experts at the clinic, but try not to become too alarmist- she may be on the slow end of picking up solids, but that in and of itself doesn't mean anything awful. </p>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards