Snarky Brides

XP - First Look - Poll

I posted this on the Las Vegas board but most of the ladies on there are having / had smaller weddings than what we're planning so I thought I'd get your opinions.

I've been debating whether or not to do a first look session before the ceremony.  Our ceremony site is at a golf course, and for my entrance I would be walking over this little hillside, so it's kind of a cool entrance.  Part of me thinks it would be fun to have that be the first time FI sees me in my dress. 

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I'll bawl at our ceremony, which doesn't make for great pictures.  Also, we would like to enjoy at least some of our cocktail hour.

Did you / will do a first look session with your photographer?  Or did you / will you follow the tradition of not letting your FI see you until you walk down the aisle?  

Thanks ladies! 

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: XP - First Look - Poll

• We are going to have a private moment before the ceremony (we are taking photos before the wedding), and I haven't decided on whether or not to have our photographer capture it.  I think it's a cool idea, though.

I think if people can handle it it's awesome to wait until that moment you come down the aisle, but my fiance and I are crybabies and we'll be big enough basketcases the way it is.  I can't imagine making him wait until the ceremony, and I don't want to completely ruin my makeup either :)
    panther
  • Honestly I don't know what a first look is. Pictures before the ceremony?

I wanted to wait until I was walking down the aisle before we took pictures. We couldn't have taken them beforehand anyway since everything took place at the same location and we were there all day with friends and family. But I spent a long time keeping that dress hidden from DH and was excited about him seeing it at the ceremony.

FWIW, I thought I'd cry too, but I didn't shed a tear. I was too busy thinking about not falling and "holy crap there are a lot of friggin people here."
  • I am not doing a first look.  I considered it but FI was absolutely against it.  He wants the first time he sees me to be when I come down the aisle.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • I'm somewhat against a first look, but if we were having a big wedding, I may consider it more.  I know lots of people swear it was the best decision, but it's a personal preference.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_xp-first-look-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ae7d2580-634b-402c-a34f-c8461f8642f7Post:4674743f-508c-4f58-8185-62b6737105d9">Re: XP - First Look - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly I don't know what a first look is. Pictures before the ceremony? I wanted to wait until I was walking down the aisle before we took pictures. We couldn't have taken them beforehand anyway since everything took place at the same location and we were there all day with friends and family. But I spent a long time keeping that dress hidden from DH and was excited about him seeing it at the ceremony. FWIW, I thought I'd cry too, but I didn't shed a tear. I was too busy thinking about not falling and "holy crap there are a lot of friggin people here."
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]
    Yep, pics before the ceremony. 

Quite a few people have mentioned that they were expecting to cry but didn't - I'm really hoping that's the case with me but I cry at commercials so I guess we'll see.
    Married 5.6.11

• This never crossed my mind and it is really not for me. I am super traditional with things like this and so is my H. It just wouldn't feel special to me to see Mike before walking down the aisle.

However, there are plenty of couples, many on this board in fact, who did first look and absolutely loved the privacy of the moment for just the two of them (well, and the photog I guess) to enjoy this intimacy on their wedding day,

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_xp-first-look-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ae7d2580-634b-402c-a34f-c8461f8642f7Post:221c599f-3ff7-4b05-9002-2011b6a0ae04">Re: XP - First Look - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not doing a first look.  I considered it but FI was absolutely against it.  He wants the first time he sees me to be when I come down the aisle.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

This. We're having our ceremony and reception at the same venue, so it'd be a lot easier to transition without pictures in-between.  When I mentioned the idea to FI, he got really hurt and upset.  So no first look for us!  To be honest, I'm glad he didin't want to do one either :)
  • We are doing the majority of the pics before the ceremony. Our ceremony is at 8 pm and I want to get as much party time in afterwards as possible. I don't even know if we are going to document our "first look." We're going to have a just us photoshoot around town and I'm really looking forward to it.
  • LabrnrLabrnr member
    First Comment
    I like the idea of a first look, only because it is a private intimate moment with FI.

However, we are doing it the traditional way and waiting till we walk down the aisle.  I don't get to see FI in his suit till then also.  Then we will go alone with the photographer and have a bit of alone time to soak in our newly married status.
    Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are doing pictures before the ceremony so yes, we'll be doing a "first look" for sure.
  • DH didn't want to see me before the ceremony.  I wanted to do a picture of us on either side of a doorway so I could talk to him in order to calm my nerves before the ceremony. 

Our photographer had her eye on an archway downstairs, but there were too many really early guests by the time we were going to take the picture (ironic, as half the guests were late).  Instead, she put us on either side the upstairs hallway that kind of wrapped around the staircase.  So we got to chat and technically have pictures of both of us before the wedding, but DH didn't have to see me.
  • Thanks for all of your replies! 
    Married 5.6.11

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_xp-first-look-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ae7d2580-634b-402c-a34f-c8461f8642f7Post:221c599f-3ff7-4b05-9002-2011b6a0ae04">Re: XP - First Look - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not doing a first look.  I considered it but FI was absolutely against it.  He wants the first time he sees me to be when I come down the aisle.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  I wanted to, especially since it will be dark when we come out of the church.  But FI was so adament about it that I just let it go.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I could care less, but FI really wants the first time he sees me and my dress as I'm walking down the aisle, so we're not doing a first look.
  • There was a whole poll about this on Etiquette a few days ago, and a lot of people who did it posted their pics, so if you want some more perspectives, you should check it out:

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-look-poll
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_xp-first-look-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ae7d2580-634b-402c-a34f-c8461f8642f7Post:8f76ee40-3e3b-46c1-aa44-2a2482bd6efa">Re: XP - First Look - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was a whole poll about this on Etiquette a few days ago, and a lot of people who did it posted their pics, so if you want some more perspectives, you should check it out: <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-look-poll" rel="nofollow">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_first-look-poll</a>
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]
    Shoot, didn't see that one, I guess I should have looked on E before posting.  Thanks!
    Married 5.6.11

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_xp-first-look-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:ae7d2580-634b-402c-a34f-c8461f8642f7Post:d03cc18c-c598-4607-800f-6ec073aca7bf">Re: XP - First Look - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP - First Look - Poll : Shoot, didn't see that one, I guess I should have looked on E before posting.  Thanks!
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

Not a problem! Just thought you might like to know about it just in case you don't spend a lot of time around these parts, because there were some nice pictures in it and all.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • I think it depends on the person.

I think its comforting for some couples to see each other before the big moment.  Some are more traditional and love the anticipation of the first look down the aisle.

I personally did not want to do the first look.  I was so excited to see Nick down the aisle.
    Photobucket
  • We're not doing a first look. I think the intimate aspect of First Look pictures is romantic but both FI and I are all about waiting until the chapel doors open to see eachother and I seriously can't wait! I'm pretty sure I'm going to cry but I'm excited to share the moment with everyone who comes to see us get married.
  • We didn't do the first look either.  We saw each other for the first time in a few months, when I was walking down the aisle.

We need a clean up - Aisle one - For Drool!! Woo Woo!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • Shellydiane - I don't want to sound like some freaky stalker or something, but every time you change your sig pic I think "wow, she's gorgeous!"
    Married 5.6.11

• oh p.s. We are doing all the bridal party pictures and what not before the ceremony and I'm not big on the traditional family pics so we'll probably just do a few after the ceremony. Plenty of time to get to the cocktails!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_xp-first-look-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ae7d2580-634b-402c-a34f-c8461f8642f7Post:ae734be5-4c85-4373-b641-eb090444017a">Re: XP - First Look - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shellydiane - I don't want to sound like some freaky stalker or something, but every time you change your sig pic I think "wow, she's gorgeous!"
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

creepo!!!

Just kidding, thank you :)
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_xp-first-look-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:ae7d2580-634b-402c-a34f-c8461f8642f7Post:3cfb5d19-a748-411a-ba56-6ca48d7e26db">Re: XP - First Look - Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh p.s. We are doing all the bridal party pictures and what not before the ceremony and I'm not big on the traditional family pics so we'll probably just do a few after the ceremony. Plenty of time to get to the cocktails!
    Posted by JennaV26[/QUOTE]
    Hadn't thought of that, great idea!
    Married 5.6.11

• We did a first look with our photogs before the ceremony and I'm really glad we did. I think we were more relaxed for photos and more relaxed before the ceremony. We're not super traditional so we didn't feel like we missed out on anything. Our first look photos were not at our venue, so we had a chance to get some great pictures we couldn't have gotten if we'd waited until after the ceremony. We also had 120 out of state guests so we wanted to spend cocktail hour with them. HTH.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • COkristi - beautiful pics, thank you for sharing!  Where in CO were those pics taken?  Just curious...
    Married 5.6.11

• Thank you! They were on the golf course at Cheyenne Mountain Resort in CO Springs. We also stopped at Garden of the Gods for a few minutes. Do you live in CO? Having a DW in Vegas?
  • We live in the Aspen area (worker bees, not trustfunders).  We're getting married in Vegas because it's just so expensive to do anything here in Aspen.  FI's immediate family live in Henderson and my family is still in WA so we thought Vegas would be convenient.  Do you live in CO Springs?
    Married 5.6.11

• ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    We saw each other before the ceremony for pictures and I am so happy that we did it!
  • I haven't made it out to Aspen yet, I've only lived in CO Springs for about a year and a half. I bet a wedding there would cost an arm and a leg! Vegas sounds like a good choice for you and your families. I just peeked at your bio, love the dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards