Snarky Brides

Everything is Country or Vintage

I am so frustrated. In the last 4 weeks of the wedding planning and trying to find the cute little details and everything online is vintage, country, carnival, or barnyard. It's so difficult to find anything elegant or glamorous. Really? What is it so hard? You can't find anything other than all this vintage stuff straight out of an Anthropologie store. I mean that's great that everyone is following this new trend and it's really cute, rustic, and sweet but not everyone bride wants to do it like everyone else. Oh great, yawn, another vintage wedding site. Oh another photo of a barn wall. Wow real original found yet another photo of a typewriter. Great, tree stumps for the millionth time. Clothes pins, lemonade in mason jars, vintage lace, chalkboards - ugh same old, same old. I just can't find any good sources or sites that have real quality chic and luxe wedding decor items that are original. 

:(

Re: Everything is Country or Vintage

• I'm also not a huge fan of the vintage fad that's going on right now. It's cute and all, but it's overwhelming how flooded every wedding related website is becoming with it. Not my style. Good luck finding some more elegant stuff. What kind of things are you looking for specifically?
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am looking for inspiration and at this point would prefer to buy things from someone but if I can't find a seller who makes products that fit my wedding style, I'll resort to making it myself, but I have no inspiration anywhere. I started looking for a really glam looking mr. & mrs. or bride & groom banner and/or chair sash for our sweetheart table. Also looking for little extra decoration ideas on tables but not sure what to buy or make. 
  • I would agree with Edie- Etsy is the place to go.  I too am not a fan of the the "barn chic" movement that is going on.  You can find many different vendors on Etsy that have what you are looking for.  
    "You're not my life but you're the one I want to spend it with. You're not my world but you're the best thing in it."
  • A lot of the girls around here have married bios, too!  You can look through their pictures and decorations to see what we have done.  Links are usually in siggys if they have one. 

I have mine down there, but it was very simple and a destination wedding.  No too much decoration aside from simple flowers and a beautiful ocean.

I agree with you on the wedding trends right now.  I'm a bigger fan of simple or elegant, but not much about a barn says that to me.  It's sweet and wonderful for some couples, but my husband and I aren't one of them.
  • Have you looked on the classifieds board yet? I bought quite a bit of what you're describing off there so far. You have to kind of watch and pounce, but you can get some pretty good deals. I got all my table linens, enough for 150 people, for under $300 for EVERYTHING. People post the Mr/Mrs. and B/G signs and stuff like that all the time. Also, I second etsy. It's a treasure trove of awesome. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • For the Mr/Mrs signs, can you wrap letters in a satin ribbon, or paint it on a wide satin ribbon?

this pinner has a glamorous weddings board : http://pinterest.com/karentran/glamorous-weddings/

Maybe you can latch onto her pins and see what you can find??

Good luck!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Try a google image search for hollywood glam weddings.  There are lots of pictures that come up.

Good luck.
  • Stop looking for "wedding" decor, and just start looking at things online in regular departments and you will be just fine.

On another note, I hate to tell you this, but choosing an "elegant" style for your wedding is not original.  Frankly, everything has been done before. Your dress has been worn by other brides (or something looking entirely like it), someone has used the same colors, and even the chairs you will plop your glamorous bum onto have been graced by other backsides.  Just do what you like, and you will certainly have a wonderful wedding with the person you love. 

Previously Alaynajuliana

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_everything-is-country-or-vintage?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:b6e490da-32d0-4c6e-be81-1ae1eebf7984Post:a6edb4bc-2038-4082-9a66-1c3faee17224">Re: Everything is Country or Vintage</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stop looking for "wedding" decor, and just start looking at things online in regular departments and you will be just fine. Posted by Alaynajuliana[/QUOTE]

This is a good point. Check Etsy and Google with search terms like "silver candlesticks" instead of "wedding table candles". You could look on sites dedicated to housewares instead of wedding sites too. Check linen sites for tablecloths and napkins, which will enable you to choose the exact fabric, weight, and color you want.

The nice thing about Etsy is that if you find something that's close to what you want, you can ask the seller if they can modify it for your particular tastes and colors.

This makes me wonder if there were any brides during the 80s that said stuff like, "Ugh! I want a veil, but they all have that stupid crown and poof," or, "Help! I need to find BM dresses that don't have puffy shoulders and a butt bow!" It's funny how fads come and go.
  • Check out recycledbride.com. Granted, buying something from there means that someone has done it before, but like someone else said, everything has been done before by someone, somewhere.
  • I have gone to several weddings this year. Not one of them was country and the one vintage one was done very tastefully. Don't give up hope! Tons of brides still like elegant weddings!There are lots of wedding styles that pinterest seems to forget lol. One of my cousins got married in August and she used the popular black and white color theme with splashes of turquoise (bowties and heels) to make things a bit more interesting. Everything was very elegant. I think she took a lot of her inspiration from looking at high end wedding magazines and celebrity weddings. There was nothing vintage at her wedding. Every detail was modern and looked good.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards