Snarky Brides
Options

Okay, Video Game people, talk to me about

the ins and outs of the XBox system.  Black Friday and the good savings arrive in less than 12 hours and FI has decided he wants an XBox for Christmas.  Best Buy, Target, and Amazon all sell them, but their websites just contain gobbeldy-gook info to my brain.  So, here are my main questions:

What should I be looking for in purchasing one, and how does it differ from the Wii (other than, ya know, the whole controller thing)?  

Is spending the extra money to purchase the Kinect worth it, or is a basic model okay?  

What about refurbished consoles - I wouldn't touch a refurbished laptop but cameras/iPods don't bother me...which category should I place a console into?

Any particular games that are more popular/better played on an XBox vs a Wii?

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Okay, Video Game people, talk to me about

• Options
    Uuuhm. I don't own an X-box, but most of my friends do. I'd say if you guys want to play things like Halo and whatnot, just go with a regular X-box. I'd probably avoid Kinect for now since it's new and will likely drop in price and probably has a limited number of games right now.

That's really all I have. I've never touched an X-box beyond Rockband at a friend's house, and I like the PS3 better for it and most other things.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2010
    FI has an X box and spends hours a day playing it.  He got me a Kinect about 2 weeks ago and I love it!  With Kinect we can both enjoy it now because I wasn't interested before.  I love the Biggest Loser workout game as well as Kinect Sports and Dance Central.  If possible I'd get the bundle.

I also have a Wii  and X Box with Kinect they are basically almost the same.  Wii is geared more toward the people who are not serious gamers.  A traditional X Box is for serious gamers who want to play multiplayer games online.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would get the basic version for the same reasons PP stated. Def. buy a new -- the xbox (even new) have lots of issues -- DH has had his replaced 2x already (1x it was within warranty so it was free, the other time he had to pay for a new one). If he is going to play online get a 12month xbox live subscription & modern warfare 2. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm going to be honest I don't even KNOW.  I think he wants it because technically the Wii is his family's system and he wants something for us when we move into our place this summer (before the wedding in September) but I can't come up with one game that he'd want to play on an XBox that we don't play on the Wii.  I think if anything, the PS3 would be better for our needs (movies, downloads, Rockband/Guitar Hero, those sort of games)...possibly the Mario series is the reason he'd want the XBox but I think I'd rather just replace the Wii if that's his line of thinking.

I'll stay away from refurbs though, thanks..  I know next to nothing about consoles in general, so I wasn't sure what to liken their usage too (laptop or whatnot).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    you can play rockband & guitar hero on the xbox.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_okay-video-game-people-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b71eeb5d-fcd5-4d16-901f-fd4c6dbe50dbPost:b1a665dd-29d5-487f-8136-14453d69170e">Re: Okay, Video Game people, talk to me about</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to be honest I don't even KNOW.  I think he wants it because technically the Wii is his family's system and he wants something for us when we move into our place this summer (before the wedding in September) but I can't come up with one game that he'd want to play on an XBox that we don't play on the Wii.  I think if anything, the PS3 would be better for our needs (movies, downloads, Rockband/Guitar Hero, those sort of games)...<strong>possibly the Mario series is the reason he'd want the XBox</strong> but I think I'd rather just replace the Wii if that's his line of thinking. I'll stay away from refurbs though, thanks..  I know next to nothing about consoles in general, so I wasn't sure what to liken their usage too (laptop or whatnot).
    Posted by sweetpea0911[/QUOTE]

Xbox doesn't have the Mario series it's a Nintendo exclusive.  If he's not into war games/ playing games online than I would probably just buy another Wii next summer.

• Options
    O.K. i'm a total nerd when it comes to video games.
    I have an xbox, I like it better than the Wii, personally.

Make sure you get the consol with a hard drive- it's worth it in the long run.
    If I were you, I would wait to get the kinect until it's been out for awhile (i'm sure a problem will arise with them, so wait)

They have white & black consoles. Even special edition consoles.

Look at walmart, Thats where I got mine, and I even bought an extended warrenty on mine, so I don't have to ship it to the xbox company, I just have to tak it to walmart if it messes up!

I think i've answered all of the questions, if you have anymore, just ask :)

BTW, halo & call of duty are my fav. games, after dealing with idiots for most of the day, it feels good to go rambo on someone. lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    See, this is how not smart I am when it comes to gaming, I would have sworn I could use Mario on the XBox.  Good thing I asked before purchasing!  Sounds like I'm just gonna scrap the whole "purchasing a gaming system" for Christmas and wait til this summer, because I'd really rather just replace the Wii - I think I'll get more use out of it, and from the sounds of it, so will he.

Thanks ladies, you're super helpful.  Hope you're having a good holiday!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2010
    Glad we could help.  I just wanted to say FI would be proud.  I did not own/ know anything about gaming systems until I met him and now I'm helping someone else out.

• Options
    hey im a litlle late to this however, my BF is a serious gamer and i am a a litlle bit more casual gamer, and we have Xbox360 PS3 and Wii

the wii is chilish and hasnt been played since last year - this by the way is the only system that carries mario games. nintendo owns mario.

PS3 is awesome, however we only use it for watching blu-rays on our HDTV. if you dont have an hdtv, no point in this console - unless your going to buy one soon. pretty much any game on this you can get for the xBox360. it has amazing graphics.

Xbox360 is used by people who want to play online mostly because thats what it is best for. hundreds of games to choose from!!  i would get the newer version of this console, not only are they slimmer, they can also connect to wireless internet all other models require you to run a ethernet cord all the way to the unit which can be a hassel if its not in the same room as your modem (and Ugly) - we just upgraded to this version, it also come with cables that allow it to output 1080p which older models couldnt.

kinect is getting some pretty awesome reviews, it will be more for you and if you have friends over.

ask the guys at whatever store you go to if you get the xbox360 just to make sure you buy the one with built in wi fi THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

goos luck and have fun with your new console!!
  • Options
    Aw, mrs.jesse, thanks for asking!  He's been doing pretty good so far this fall - yes, that's him with the lovely lung issues.  This is the first time since we met that he's been able to stay out of the hospital for a 6 month stretch from those dang lungs *knocks on wood and says a million prayers*  The one lung is still partially collapsed and it's kind of a waiting game for it to fully collapse so they can go in and staple it and we won't have to worry about it for another 6 years or so...but at this point he can breathe normally and that's enough for me!

Hoboken, I know nothing about them, so I appreciate your expertise, however new it may be  =]

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    oh and PS3 acutally has the best graphics to the PP who said its doesnt have good graphics doesnt know much about the systems............
  • Options
    Chiming in late, but I thought I'd add my $0.02.

We've got a Wii and an Xbox and I don't think the Wii has been on since the spring.  I love the Wii for it's ability to fulfill my Zelda fix, but H is the gamer in our house.

He's not into FPS (first person shooters, like a Halo or Call of Duty) he's more of a RPG guy (role player games) and there are some fantastic RPGs for the Xbox. (Fable, Final Fantasy, Fallout and more [they don't all start with "F", I promise]) but a lot of those games can be purchased for the PS3 too.  For fun games we play together there's the Lego series of games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc).

Also, ditto katherine about getting a version with a hard drive.  It'll cost a bit more now, but it makes the console so much more versatile!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    OHH, I have my super nitendo from my child years, my FI thought that was the coolest thing ever when I got it from my mothers house. Maybe by chance you can find one (they are pretty cheap now) & get the super mario bro. game. Think he'd like that??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    you can download any of the mario games on wii in the marketplace. you do not need to get a new console for that. and i'm not sure why people are suggesting getting a new wii if the one you have works. the only difference with the new wii and existing ones is the color of the case. 

the three consoles are all about completely different things. wii is all about the gaming experience. it's not about graphics, it's about fun. wii is a fun system, no one can deny that. mario kart, mario party, they're awesome party games. it's not for a serious gamer by any means. most people with a wii (including me) will tell you it only gets turned on when friends are over or kids want to play. 

ps3 is for people who like to play by themselves lol. ps3's graphics are FAR superior to any other gaming console on the market. but no one is really on it playing online. it's great for campaign games or watching movies (that's all we use ours for). 

xbox is more for the multi-player gamer. xbox live is insanely superior to the ps3 online network, both in quality and the sheer number of people on it. you have to pay for it, but it's well worth it for online play. if he wants an xbox get him an elite, the other's aren't really worth it. and certainly buy new. i had a referbed one for a while and i had to send it in three times. it finally RRoD'd and i ended up just buying a new one as i was out of warranty. the newer xbox's are better quality than the old ones. 

if anything just order one on monday when the online deals come out. they're not even expensive anymore. 
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Okay, Video Game people, talk to me about:
    [QUOTE]you can download any of the mario games on wii in the marketplace. you do not need to get a new console for that. and i'm not sure why people are suggesting getting a new wii if the one you have works. the only difference with the new wii and existing ones is the color of the case. 
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

We told her to buy a new one because FI is moving and leaving it behind with his family.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_okay-video-game-people-talk?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:b71eeb5d-fcd5-4d16-901f-fd4c6dbe50dbPost:699df8d6-fa66-4afb-81b2-05937bc13f25">Re: Okay, Video Game people, talk to me about</a>:
    [QUOTE]you can download any of the mario games on wii in the marketplace. you do not need to get a new console for that. and i'm not sure why people are suggesting getting a new wii if the one you have works. the only difference with the new wii and existing ones is the color of the case.  the three consoles are all about completely different things. wii is all about the gaming experience. it's not about graphics, it's about fun. wii is a fun system, no one can deny that. mario kart, mario party, they're awesome party games. it's not for a serious gamer by any means. most people with a wii (including me) will tell you it only gets turned on when friends are over or kids want to play.  ps3 is for people who like to play by themselves lol. ps3's graphics are FAR superior to any other gaming console on the market. but no one is really on it playing online. it's great for campaign games or watching movies (that's all we use ours for).  xbox is more for the multi-player gamer. xbox live is insanely superior to the ps3 online network, both in quality and the sheer number of people on it. you have to pay for it, but it's well worth it for online play. if he wants an xbox get him an elite, the other's aren't really worth it. and certainly buy new. i had a referbed one for a while and i had to send it in three times. it finally RRoD'd and i ended up just buying a new one as i was out of warranty. the newer xbox's are better quality than the old ones.  if anything just order one on monday when the online deals come out. they're not even expensive anymore. 
    Posted by psichick[/QUOTE]

Oh look ladies, Crazy is back.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards