Snarky Brides
Options

Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions

There's a group demonstrating near my office today, it's pretty common for different groups to be out there.  The speaker right now is especially loud and I forgot my headphones.  So, a poll of sorts:

- Have you ever attended a protest/rally/sit-in/march? What was it for?

- Would you go again?

- Do you feel like you accomplished something?

- If you were to organize an event, what would you protest?  Where would you do it?  Who would you hope would take notice?

Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions

• Options
    Yes.  I have been to Tea Party events.  Judge away.

- Would you go again?
    Yup

I hope so.

- If you were to organize an event, what would you protest?  Where would you do it?  Who would you hope would take notice?
    I would like to protest Japanese whaling and dolphin slaughtering.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2011
      *A few dozen but the most notable was a walk-out my junior year that resulted in all kinds of crazy and a mention in the NY Times.  We walked out to protest the new principal's rules which included only allowing 1 bathroom open(monitored0 in an effort to stop graffiti.  On a two building and  three floor campus, this caused otherwise good kids to get detentions for taking longer than the allowed 3 minutes with a bathroom pass.

- Would you go again?
      *Gladly for a cause i believe in.

*usually.  The goal is change or awareness to lead to change

*I'm really thinking about rallying a protest against the mayor.  i am not pleased about his event center plans that are already spending way too much of tax payer's money.  We voted against the event center.  He hired a committee to "explore the benefits and feasibility".  It's already cost us millions.  I'd do it downtown in front of the mayor's office and I'd hope everyone would notice.
  • Options
    I was hoping you'd be here, Blue.

Is awareness really the goal of these things?  I just can't wrap my head around what outcome people expect from a small event like what's going on outside here.  There are MAYBE 100 people out there.

And even for a big event, unless there are protests to the protest, you can't really get a sense of where the population's opinion truly is. 

I have soapbox issues and things I really believe in, but I don't know that I'd go to an all out rally. 
  • Options
    - Have you ever attended a protest/rally/sit-in/march? What was it for?  Oh, yes.  I went to lots during the time my old high school was changing its mascot.  And for my hometown's flooding issues; I was not allowed to participate in the last one they had, though.

- Would you go again?  I'd love to, but I can't really do it anymore because of my job.  I can't be seen taking positions publicly like that.  I was interviewing a lady once about her flooding issues, at a public (and very emotionally charged) meeting, and I started crying.  That... sucked.

- Do you feel like you accomplished something?  I'd like to think so.

- If you were to organize an event, what would you protest?  Where would you do it?  Who would you hope would take notice?  I'd love to organize a huge ass protest or march for DL's floods.  It would be ridiculous.
    panther
  • Options

When I was little I went to pro choice rallies. 

- Would you go again?

I don't know.  I am more conflicted now than I was.  I also don't think its the most important issue to me the way it was to my older sister and mother.  I really wouldn't take a 4 year old now.  I was not old enough to actually understand what it was about, and while I repeated what my mom and my sister said I hadn't thought it through.  Also, you can get in trouble for explaining abortion to people in kindergarten

No, abortion was legal, it is legal, nothing changed and I don't actually know what they wanted to change. 

I would protest to repeal the health care bill, or to allow gay marriage in my state.  I would protest at an event my representatives were attending.  I would hope that representative takes notice. 
  • Options
    Pirate- I live near a huge city (Boston) so protests on Boston Common are more than 100 or so people.  More like thousands, lol.  I just think it is important to get your message across while being respectful.  A protest can do that. 

I do not agree when protests turn violent, attack police, destroy property etc.  Or even if it disrupts traffic or people trying to work.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:d483bb83-448f-4a96-935e-d279d857ad9c">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was hoping you'd be here, Blue. Is awareness really the goal of these things?  I just can't wrap my head around what outcome people expect from a small event like what's going on outside here.  There are MAYBE 100 people out there. And even for a big event, unless there are protests to the protest, you can't really get a sense of where the population's opinion truly is.  I have soapbox issues and things I really believe in, but I don't know that I'd go to an all out rally. 
    Posted by pirategal03[/QUOTE]

Last year our congressional delegation invited the FEMA director to my hometown for a summit on the flood.  My town organized this awesome protest where residents lined the streets for three miles leading up to the building the summit took place - holding signs begging for an outlet, carrying shovels, sitting in boats, wearing waders, etc.  We're getting the outlet, next year.  Although... it still won't be enough to help, but maybe it did more than just raise awareness.
    panther
  • Options
    Yes, it was a few weeks ago actually and it was in protest of all the education cuts currently being made in Florida.

- Would you go again? Most definitely

- Do you feel like you accomplished something?  Well, we shall see.  We don't even have our (state) university budget yet so I don't even know if I'll have a job come December 1st.  I suppose if I do, then yes I accomplished something.

- If you were to organize an event, what would you protest?  Where would you do it?  Who would you hope would take?  I would wholeheartedly organize a protest again our criminal of a governor. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    - Have you ever attended a protest/rally/sit-in/march? What was it for?  I attended the March for Women's Rights on the National Mall in my freshman year of college.

- Would you go again?  Absolutely, it was a cool experience.

- Do you feel like you accomplished something?  I don't know.  It was televised, and it was a really emotional experience.  My roommate and her mom were on the sides of the road in the counter protest, so that was weird.

- If you were to organize an event, what would you protest?  Where would you do it?  Who would you hope would take notice?  Probably along the same lines of what I already participated in... abortion/women's rights is one of the issues that I have really clearly defined opinions on.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My high school held a protest in regard to them taking away all of our electives. We won. I also attended protests in front of Barnum & Bailey ciruses to fight against animal abuse.

- Would you go again? Sure would

The school one, yes. The circus, not sure. We didn't shut down the event and it was mostly a day of people shouting back and forth. Some people threw trash at us from their cars, and all we were doing was standing there holding signs of animal abuse. After the trash throwing from people heading into the circus, some people broke out the red paint and splashed it all over the grass and pathways so people were forced to drive and walk through it. That was about the time we left, our parents wouldn't let us stay any longer.  

Probably the animal abuse thing again, or something to do with book banning.
  • Options
    I did a few "Take Back the Night" protests in college.  They were awesome, and we almost always were looked down upon for doing them.

I would totally do them again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:431dc8a4-688c-4d76-b754-d66ad3d19b7a">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pirate- I live near a huge city (Boston) so protests on Boston Common are more than 100 or so people.  More like thousands, lol.  I just think it is important to get your message across while being respectful.  A protest can do that.  I do not agree when protests turn violent, attack police, destroy property etc.  Or even if it disrupts traffic or people trying to work.
    Posted by Blueyed228[/QUOTE]

Right, this one is small, even for here. But it got me thinking.  It's a slow day at work.

Earlier in the week there were a couple thousand people and a marching band protesting the proposed budget cuts to Education.  I guess I don't see how a protest gets the "cuts to education funding are bad" message across to anyone who didn't already know that.

Maybe the people here are just doing it wrong. 
  • Options
    Shay, the budget cuts are awful. I can't believe they are forcing all the teachers in the Drop program to retire. AN old English teacher of mine is being forced our 5 years early and she is heartbroken. My mom is taking a 10% pay cut next year. Our state sucks, no wonder we're one of the lowest when it comes to education (I think).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:014d7ff5-6ecc-49cb-a2f5-105ae353b9d0">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions : Last year our congressional delegation invited the FEMA director to my hometown for a summit on the flood.  My town organized this awesome protest where residents lined the streets for three miles leading up to the building the summit took place - holding signs begging for an outlet, carrying shovels, sitting in boats, wearing waders, etc.  We're getting the outlet, next year.  Although... it still won't be enough to help, but maybe it did more than just raise awareness.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Do you think you wouldn't have gotten the outlet without the people lining the streets?

If the outlet isn't going to be enough to help, then...idk, why spend the $$ on it?   Why not aim higher?
  • Options
    MRSBJSMRSBJS member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:1a93abee-1984-4511-88d6-5cb41ba643f5">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]- Have you ever attended a protest/rally/sit-in/march? What was it for? Yes.  <strong>I have been to Tea Party events.</strong>  Judge away. - Would you go again? Yup - Do you feel like you accomplished something? I hope so. - If you were to organize an event, what would you protest?  Where would you do it?  Who would you hope would take notice? I would like to protest Japanese whaling and dolphin slaughtering.

I hear the term "Tea Partiers" all the time - and I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is it that the Tea Party people do? Is it what I'm thinking, and it's about lowering taxes?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:d8c29407-b1d2-456c-8c30-65d67d888715">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]- Have you ever attended a protest/rally/sit-in/march? What was it for?   I attended the March for Women's Rights on the National Mall in my freshman year of college. - Would you go again?   Absolutely, it was a cool experience. - Do you feel like you accomplished something?   I don't know.  It was televised, and it was a really emotional experience.  <strong>My roommate and her mom were on the sides of the road in the counter protest, so that was weird</strong>. - If you were to organize an event, what would you protest?  Where would you do it?  Who would you hope would take notice?   Probably along the same lines of what I already participated in... abortion/women's rights is one of the issues that I have really clearly defined opinions on.
    Posted by Ash2985[/QUOTE]

Your (female) roommate and her mom are against woman's rights?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:3330d481-37b0-4a92-ba6e-e4c427dd5335">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Shay, the budget cuts are awful. I can't believe they are forcing all the teachers in the Drop program to retire. AN old English teacher of mine is being forced our 5 years early and she is heartbroken. My mom is taking a 10% pay cut next year. Our state sucks, no wonder we're one of the lowest when it comes to education (I think).
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

<div>Ugh I know, Sesh.  My mom is a middle school teacher and she is trying to buy back time she lost during maternity leave in the 80s so she can make it into Drop. She is literally .09 months away (or something miniscule like that) from qualifying because she was on freaking maternity leave.  All of the cuts are absolutely disgusting to me.  They tried to lower the salaries of all the teachers in her county back to starting teacher salaries.  That means in most cases cutting peoples pay in half.  Luckily they fought it and it didn't happen.  </div><div>
    </div><div>EDIT: And yes, we are one of the lowest ranking states when it comes to education, and it absolutely infuriates me that rather than boosting that rating, our state is making so many cuts.  Gah, can you tell this is something that gets a rise out of me? ha</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment

Like Cardmonsta, I did Take Back the Night a few times in college. I was a member of SERVE (Students Educating about Rape and Violence Everywhere) and Lambda League (LGBT student coalition) and participated in awareness events through those organizations, although no protests per se.

I'd do them again. 

• Options
    I protested at a pro-life rally when I was about 9 years old and had no clue what I was protesting. IF I went to a rally now it would be to protest women's rights (and Im a conservative)
  • Options
    CellesCelles member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:c85ddf4e-4953-4db5-903d-3ed2f587bb2c">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I protested at a pro-life rally when I was about 9 years old and had no clue what I was protesting. IF I went to a rally now it would be to protest women's rights (and Im a conservative)
    Posted by nivea2011[/QUOTE]

You would protest against women's rights? Seriously?

Which rights do you want to give up?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:c85ddf4e-4953-4db5-903d-3ed2f587bb2c">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I protested at a pro-life rally when I was about 9 years old and had no clue what I was protesting. <strong>IF I went to a rally now it would be to protest women's rights</strong> (and Im a conservative)

<div>Wait... What?</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:ac09518f-1227-420e-b9e3-2767bfbc6fa7">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions : Do you think you wouldn't have gotten the outlet without the people lining the streets? If the outlet isn't going to be enough to help, then...idk, why spend the $$ on it?   Why not aim higher?

I honestly don't know.  We didn't get the outlet proposal until recently - and it was pretty much an executive order by the governor.  So that leads me to believe that we wouldn't have gotten it.

We have one outlet.  It can take off a few inches a year.  WIth the new (second) one, we can remove six to eight inches of water a year.  But that doesn't really help since the lake rises in feet... so... yeah.

They are wasting a lot of money on the outlet construction and operation because it's not helping much, but they don't do more because there is a lot of opposition to the lake water going into the river.  There are actually people here who value the river biota over the welfare of the people - classy, eh?  Oh, and don't forget that flooding a river would cause EROSION.  And that is just not okay (except the nature of rivers is to erode.  Whatever).
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:6d9dced5-13e9-4e5f-8233-416373a219d9">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions : You would protest against women's rights? Seriously? Which rights do you want to give up?
    Posted by Celles[/QUOTE]

<div>Voting is just so0o0o0o0o confusing.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:c85ddf4e-4953-4db5-903d-3ed2f587bb2c">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I protested at a pro-life rally when I was about 9 years old and had no clue what I was protesting. IF I went to a rally now it would be to protest women's rights (and Im a conservative)

You are such a fascinating little snowflake, aren't you.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:0ce89e2b-645c-4f7e-8dc3-297f06255df3">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions : Voting is just so0o0o0o0o confusing.
    Posted by cardmonsta[/QUOTE]

If the people who don't want women to vote would just themselves abstain from voting, I don't think I'd mind. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:0e2de6fd-0fe2-4424-9a08-3c9b232354bb">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions : I hear the term "Tea Partiers" all the time - and I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what is it that the Tea Party people do? Is it what I'm thinking, and it's about lowering taxes?
    Posted by MRSBJS[/QUOTE]

I guess a brief explanation would be that we believe in limited government, individual freedoms, free market (capitalism) and getting the rights back to the states.  People assume it is all republicans but its is a majority of republicans and independents and some democrats. 

For me, it is being angry at the politicians who represent my party but dont vote the way they said they would.  I live in a very liberal state and lots of consevative politicians vote liberal to stay in office.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:493840d4-7cd8-41b1-bb26-a2274b722404">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions : If the people who don't want women to vote would just themselves abstain from voting, I don't think I'd mind. 

<div>Same here.  A perfect world. One day.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:b6c848df-12c7-4edc-aa18-d541ef9f6e08">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]For me, it is being angry at the politicians who represent my party but don't vote the way they said they would.  I live in a very liberal state and lots of consevative politicians vote liberal to stay in office.

I think we have the opposite problem here sometimes.
  • Options
    MRSBJSMRSBJS member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:b6c848df-12c7-4edc-aa18-d541ef9f6e08">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions : I guess a brief explanation would be that we believe in limited government, individual freedoms, free market (capitalism) and getting the rights back to the states.  People assume it is all republicans but its is a majority of republicans and independents and some democrats.  For me, it is being angry at the politicians who represent my party but dont vote the way they said they would.  I live in a very liberal state and lots of consevative politicians vote liberal to stay in office.

Thank you for the info.

And to answer the poll - I have never protested anything. I'm probably a bad American, but I have never felt passionately enough about something to join in any kind of activity like that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_protests-rallies-marches-etc-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:c883a75f-03bd-4e75-b640-ed8791ae6e42Post:b5ec9144-7ef5-481a-8472-24c18db8a7ba">Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Protests, Rallies, Marches, etc. questions : Ugh I know, Sesh.  My mom is a middle school teacher and she is trying to buy back time she lost during maternity leave in the 80s so she can make it into Drop. She is literally .09 months away (or something miniscule like that) from qualifying because she was on freaking maternity leave.  AlPosted by shaydenise[/QUOTE]

Wait, she wants to be in Drop? but then the runs the risk of being forced into early retirement if they make more cuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards