Snarky Brides
Options

TTD/Wedding/Picture Help

H and I are doing a photo shoot on Sunday, provided it doesn't rain (looking iffy at the moment, bleh). It's kind of a combo TTD and couples shoot, since we couldn't afford e-pics or a wedding photographer at the time. But, I suck at taking pictures and I need help.

I know the photographer will have ideas (I've seen his website, he does great work), but I want some personal input from you guys too. Do you have examples of your favorite wedding pictures or e-pics (like poses, settings, etc)? Suggestions on what pictures I should take? We are doing the shoot on a beach known for having lots of dritfwood and trees, and it's in a state park so it's all very wooded and pretty.

Thanks! This is kind of a P&R since I have go to some training but I'll be back later.

Re: TTD/Wedding/Picture Help

• Options
    I really like pictures that don't look staged.  You know, the ones that look like you're just out having a fabulous time together?  Walking down the beach holding hands or just being goofy, playing in the water laughing.  Those are what I love.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I am just jealous that you can fit into your dress! :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I CAN"T WAIT to see these pictures.  Seriously.

Um, our photogs have a lot of really cute stuff, so you can browse through their website, too.
  • Options
    I always like the beach one where they are looking out at the water.....

Anyway, my E-pics are on FB and we took honeymoon pics on the beach so those are there too.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    I like these pictures, I'm going to have to send some to the photog. I agree about getting candid shots, so hopefully we can "act" candid because both of us are really uncomfortable in those kinds of staged situations. I kind of likes the ones where the couple is almost kissing, like their foreheads are touching and eyes are closed, but they aren't actually kissing. And I definitely want some laughing pictures. But no jumping ones.

Milk Duds--Those trees are pretty much exactly like what is on our beach, I think. I'm assuming they haven't all washed away or something.

Alli-I BARELY fit into my dress. to the point that we may not have any back shots because I can't guarantee the zipper will clasp at the very top. Stupid growing boobs.
  • Options
    Also do you think I should bring my bouquet? It's stored away somewhere in the garage,  can dust it off if need be. I'm going to bring a blue sash thing that came with the dress that I never used (I think it is supposed to be some kind of wrap) but am debating the bouquet. What would I do with it?
  • Options
    Are you going to be in your wedding dress the whole time or will you change?  Our photogs put our e-pics together in a way that looked like a long first date.  It was really cute, and I didn't even know they were planning on doing that while we were taking the pictures.

If you're going to wear a regular outfit at the beginning you could start with that and have pictures where you guys are just hanging out.  Perhaps pics at a cafe, restaurant or ice cream shop near the beach where you're taking pictures.  Then you can change into your wedding dress and do the more wedding pictures.

In terms of candids, I was really nervous about that too.  We just acted silly together and tried to make each other laugh (telling jokes, talking dirty, etc).  Just think about how you guys are together and how you related to each other and just do that.  After the first 10-15 minutes we got comfortable with the photogs there.

I can't wait to see the pics!  I'm sure they will be great.

• Options
    Those pics are great, jesse, thank you. I have lots of ideas now.

Cran, we are doing 2 shoots. I think we will start in regular clothes, I'm wearing a dress that's tan on top and blends into green at the bottom, with butterflies on the hem, H is wearing khaki shorts and a green shirt. Then we'll do the TTD since we will likely get in the water with those. He's wearing dress pants and a white shirt, not what we wore at the wedding. More casual than that.

I'm hoping we'll be at ease. the photog is a friend, and he's hilarious, so he will probably easily make us laugh the entire time if we are all jittery.
  • Options
    Your dress sounds so pretty! 

So you're actually going to trash your dress?!  I like those shoots, but I don't think I'd have the nerve to actually do one. 

You could also take a few shots to relax.
  • Options
    amys325amys325 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Here are a few of the different poses and pictures our photographer used.  We spent a ton of time with her over 3 days and I just love the way they came out! 

Edited:  Pics removed for privacy
  • Options
    I like your beach shots, amy. I was thinking about one like yours, where you are kind of running through the water.

Cran, yeah I don't care what happens to it. It wasn't an expensive dress (it was a BM dress, actually) and I'll never wear it again, so why not? It will be wet and sandy by the end of it, I'm sure.
  • Options
    Our photographers were amazing at getting us to look great in photos without us feeling overly pose-y. They kept up a steady stream of chatter to get us to laugh, and one guy would adjust us slightly while the other would continuously take photos.

If you want my two cents, I'd stay away from re-creating specific poses, but definitely send your photog examples of photos that you love so he/she can get an idea of the style you like.

Here are some of our favorites:

• Options
    Oh I agree, poli. We won't be recreating, just modeling pictures after them. We can't recreate a lot anyway, the setting is too different (I would love a swing shot, but sadly, no swings at the park, just benches). I do want a dip photo though like yours in the street, but that's assuming H can do it without dropping me. He's extremely awkward when it comes to stuff like that.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ttdweddingpicture?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d40cd942-6124-4980-906f-63b05b6a1030Post:cfaeb1bd-ac4f-4e71-a16a-75d903a85e94">Re: TTD/Wedding/Picture Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh I agree, poli. We won't be recreating, just modeling pictures after them. We can't recreate a lot anyway, the setting is too different (I would love a swing shot, but sadly, no swings at the park, just benches).<strong> I do want a dip photo though like yours in the street, but that's assuming H can do it without dropping me. He's extremely awkward when it comes to stuff like that.</strong>
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Just practice a bit beforehand! DH had never dipped me in his life, but he couldn't get enough of it. I'm not sure if you can see in the mini-photo, but I love that one because many of the passerbys are looking at us with "WTF?" expressions on their faces. It makes me giggle :)
  • Options
    amys325amys325 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_ttdweddingpicture?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:d40cd942-6124-4980-906f-63b05b6a1030Post:1efb539d-e5eb-4a8b-a01f-c26a2f984260">Re: TTD/Wedding/Picture Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like your beach shots, amy. I was thinking about one like yours, where you are kind of running through the water. Cran, yeah I don't care what happens to it. It wasn't an expensive dress (it was a BM dress, actually) and I'll never wear it again, so why not? It will be wet and sandy by the end of it, I'm sure.
    Posted by Seshat411[/QUOTE]

Just FYI, my dress was not ruined!  I was able to put it in washer and donate it to a charity that resells dresses.   :)
  • Options
    Poli, I have a feeling we will have a lot of WTF? looks. We're on a public/state park beach, so there will likely be people there. I'll just have to act like I'm a big superstar model who can't be bothered by all the onlookers, otherwise I'll be too shy.

Amy, I plan on trashing that dress all I can. I don't want it hung back up in my closet and seeing as how I've already spilled sauce on it from the wedding, it will probably be beyond cleaning at that point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards