Snarky Brides

F/U to in-laws buying us a house stuff.

2»

Re: F/U to in-laws buying us a house stuff.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fu-law-buying-house-stuff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d7ac57a3-4c6d-45dd-a296-82b712c01b38Post:3c57357c-9e35-4292-a729-fd7fc2e88a09">Re: F/U to in-law buying us a house stuff.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: F/U to in-law buying us a house stuff. : Strange??  Why can't our generation just say THANKS to our folks?  I said before, my folks grew up dirt poor (my mom had 2 houses burn to the ground w/o insurance) and they are so THRILLED to be ABLE to help.  Would I have made it w/o my parents? Absolutely, no doubt...of course, that's because they raised my & my siblings to work our asses off no matter what we were doing....hard work pays off!
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

<div>I did say thank you to my parents.  Thanks for teaching me important lessons in life, and how to manage money.  How to thrive in today's economy.  And no offence, but your mom's houses burning down with no insurance.  That's just stupid.</div><div>
    </div><div>My parents (or me for that matter) didn't grew up with any silver spoon.  They worked hard for what they have.  Just like I have.  I think they are thrilled that I am capable of taking care of myself, that they don't have to help me financially.  I know if I ever needed it, they could help me, but I could never do that.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP--if I were in your situation, I would just weight on the house.  You'll feel so much better knowing you did this on your own.  Plus, house hunting sucks and takes awhile.  You don't want to be rushed.</div>
    Photobucket
  • Thanks for the advice Shelly.  I guess I'll just see how it all plans out.

And thanks for the appreciation for farmers jcb - my dad is actually pretty incredible to be doing so well after all he's been through the past 20 years (it has to do with flooding in my hometown area, and is highly complicated, and VERY tragic).  I feel like everything I need to know about life, I learned through lessons taught to me on the farm, and by him.
    panther
  • Where I live (Fargo) was barely touched by the housing debacle.  There were some foreclosures, but pretty minimal.  The market is actually pretty good right now - just depends on what the search is like I guess.
    panther
  • Thanks sarah :)

jcb, growing up we had five channels.  When my folks finally got DirecTV when I was like, 14, it was the most insane thing I ever experienced.

I learned how to drive when I was 11 and by 12 I was harvesting by myself.  How a guy could trust a pre-teen with a quarter of a million dollar machine, I still don't really get...

For fun we climbed trees, rode our bikes for miles around the area, had scavenger hunts.  Also we had just one bathroom.  My dad had his wife, and four daughters - so yeah.  It was interesting for him.

The house they have now has bedrooms for each one of us daughters, three and a half bathrooms, and - wait for it - a dance studio.  My sisters were all really involved in dance.

Even though their new place is a lot nicer and bigger than the old farm I still feel like I'm returning to a simpler life when I go home.  It even smells different - cleaner.  I wouldn't mind living on a farm.  Fargo isn't a HUGE city by any means but by my standards it's a hell of a lot busier than it was where I grew up.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_fu-law-buying-house-stuff?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:d7ac57a3-4c6d-45dd-a296-82b712c01b38Post:16774c19-fa63-4834-8e06-103d81f09a3c">Re: F/U to in-law buying us a house stuff.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: F/U to in-law buying us a house stuff. : Really? B/c I bought my first house for $130k, put $25k into it, sold it for $180k to the FIRST couple that looked at it & sold it FSBO...who else here has made $25k in investments in 4 years time??  I think that was a pretty good rate of return. That being said, real estate is like anything (ie. stock market), you need to buy low, & sell high to make $.  My father purchased 100 acres of property for 50 bucks an acre  back in the 70's...he has been offered hundreds of thousands of dollars PER acre for it....hmmm, bad investment??   Don't think so...but he also wasn't intending to make a quick turnaround on that... When you are done renting, you don't re-coup any of the $ you spent on rent...but maybe that's just the market here,... 
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Who needs data when you have anecdotal evidence?

And my coworker, who is underwater on his mortgage with the house he bought in 2004, sure didn't think his property would lose 1/2 its value. But unlike stocks, sometimes you NEED to sell your house because you can't live in it anymore, which is why property isn't an investment - it's a shelter.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Owning a home nowadays isn't as attractive as it used to be, especially if you have a mortgage. A big perk of having a mortgage was being able to deduct interest from your taxes, but they are phasing that out, for God knows what reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards