Snarky Brides
Options

starting to consider saying GCFB.

facebook is awesome in some ways- You can keep up with people you never would have before. However, I really REALLY resent the way people allow it to replace actual communication.

So far this week H's cousin got engaged and another had a baby. How did we hear? Facebook. No call, no email, no text message. Nothing personal. H doesn't get at all why this upsets me! These are people we are close to - particularly the cousin who got engaged. What's worse.. MIL and FIL don't always call us because they assume its on facebook. H has mentioned before thats no ok but nothing changes.

Does anyone else think facebook is totally killing normal human interaction?

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
my book shelf:
Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

Re: starting to consider saying GCFB.

• Options
    I joined Facebook about two years ago so I could "reconnect" with people.  I was so excited to see their faces and see what they were up to.

I naturally assumed that this would lead to actual, in person conversations.  Such as, I don't know, getting drinks or grabbing lunch.  Regular ole human interaction.  I tried to get things to go this direction.

99% of the time, the people just wanted to chat on Facebook.  Then post some status update.

I couldn't believe it.
  • Options
    I think facebook is great... don't get me wrong. But I think the big moments in life warrant at least a phone call. When we got engaged I had to beg H not to post it right away. He works in social media and for him... its immediate. I wanted some privacy together and to tell our families. As soon as I made my calls though.. it was online. When I didn't follow suit... everyone was asking me why I hadn't posted it. Its insane.

Now With Pro Pics&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbspOur Wedding Highlights!&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

my book shelf:
    Steph N's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • Options
    It can replace "normal" interaction, it just depends on the person or the situation.  I really enjoy using facebook as a networking tool to keep up with people, and whatnot.  However, it's a pretty rare event that I post an actually really serious update.

I learned about my sister breaking up with her boyfriend via facebook.  Yeah, she's only 15 - but she was with the kid for three years.  I was like WHA?  I'm your sister?  How are you?  Call me?  HELLO?

When I broke up with my ex we had to wait an entire week to "break up" on facebook so he could tell his parents in person, so they wouldn't see it first on facebook.
    panther
  • Options
    Eh, I think for me FB just reminds us that most of the people who tell us things over FB wouldnt' tell it to us at all without it. For example, I found out that my cousin had a second child through his FB status. Nevermind that I wasn't even aware he had gotten married and had a 1st child before FB!
    I just think it makes our lists of aquaintences larger, whereas before we would have closer knit groups.

Honestly, I'd be screwed without FB. I don't live by any of my friends and none of us have the time to have phone conversations anymore.
  • Options
    I'm still on the it's great to connect with others boat.  That's probably because I still call my mom every day on my way home from work, I have lunch twice a week with my two closest friends, and I see the rest of the close people in my life on a regular basis regardless of us being friends on facebook.  I might feel differently if I lived far away from everyone I'm close to and didn't talk to them often.  Does that make sense at all? lol
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I just said this the other day!  While I love technology for opening new doors (like meeting new people, etc), I don't like that it has replaced face to face communication.
  • Options
    It is interesting how social networking is supposed to bring us all closer together yet it seems that more and more people these days report feeling isolated from their friends. I don't necessarily think that's all facebook's fault though (or other social networking sites either). I just think in general we have less human interaction in our lives. People tend to work long hours and live apart from their friends and families in our society. I don't agree with it but I think that's just the way things are heading.
  • Options
    They should make a movie about this or something.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_starting-consider-saying-gcfb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:dd37dcdc-d28a-4a8d-b4ef-b080d4daf387Post:b0874551-fa72-4ded-b87a-882e28188bf4">Re: starting to consider saying GCFB.</a>:
    [QUOTE]They should make a movie about this or something.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]
    *like*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_starting-consider-saying-gcfb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:dd37dcdc-d28a-4a8d-b4ef-b080d4daf387Post:b0874551-fa72-4ded-b87a-882e28188bf4">Re: starting to consider saying GCFB.</a>:
    [QUOTE]They should make a movie about this or something.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>touche. although I haven't seen the movie. </div>

my book shelf:
  • Options
     I only recently joined facebook and keep it bare bones  because of the nature of my work - generally it is discouraged.  It used to annoy me that my friends would talk about their various facebook updates and I'd be out of the loop.  So I joined but I have to say, I've never really gotten into it. It also appalls me as to the stuff even my "normal' friends post sometimes.  Don't people realize that their employers may be able to see some of this stuff?  There was a woman in my office that was fired after they got wind that she was talking about work stuff on her facebook page.

I've also noticed a trend among my friends in which the whole facebook thing is starting the wear off and people are returning to more traditional methods of communication.  I am happy about this.
  • Options
    Geeze. I made sure to call everyone important FIRST before posting my engagement on Facebook. I should just remove the relationship status and be done with it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Hawaii with my best friend =)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_starting-consider-saying-gcfb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:dd37dcdc-d28a-4a8d-b4ef-b080d4daf387Post:6a767173-48c9-4224-a77b-011d76838117">starting to consider saying GCFB.</a>:
    [QUOTE]facebook is awesome in some ways- You can keep up with people you never would have before. However, I<strong>really REALLY resent the way people allow it to replace actual communication</strong>. So far this week H's cousin got engaged and another had a baby. Posted by Starmusica[/QUOTE]

It's <em>has become</em> normal communication.

I totally hear what you're saying, I especially resent how many people have lost all sense of grammar because of the way we communicate on the internet. However, I keep in touch with many people who I would have lost touched with ages ago were it not for FB. I do believe that those close to you should be informed of big life moments by other means than FB!

And DH and I met on FB and sent private FB messages for a long time before we ever officially "met" so I can't really knock it.
  • Options
    FB is inherently awesome and evil at the same time. I find it stirs up the little green monster a lot ie: who's list posting on FIs wall, I don't know them... when they're probably old friends from HS or something. And I get all weirded out and paranoid about it even though I use FB way more than she does and chat it up with old HS friends all the time. But then her status update this morning: "It's been a wonderful 7 years and I'm excited to spend the next 100 years with you :o)" So cute, and apparently I'm going to live to be 129, sweet.

Photobucket
  • Options
    I LOVE reconnecting with old friends via FB.  Just had a GTG with some last week - it was great!  As for announcing important news (like an engagment) - we made phone calls to immediate family/friends and then posted it. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I hate FB.  I hate all the drama.  I hate that people are competitive about it (or feel the need to brag to the world about how happy they are, how perfect their marriages are, how cute their babies are, etc, etc).    I hate that it is a way for old acquaintances to contact me and i feel guilty if I don't accept their friend requests.  I hate that seeing status updates for people I don't really care about. And I hate that I can't get off of it or I will miss all the communication that my actual friends do put on it. 

If I wanted to keep in touch with you, I would have.

I also hate that it is probably here to stay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards