Snarky Brides
Options

How do you de-stress?

Last week my massage therapist told me he can tell I am way too stressed and that I have to find a way to manage it better (he's right). I get headaches and migraines pretty frequently, and I know some of that is tied to stress, and the massage therapist pointed out that it looks like I have TMJ too. I know there's not a universal formula, but how do you de-stress?

Re: How do you de-stress?

• Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I work out.. or eat. THe latter is counterproductive though. Usually a good sweat session can get me in a better frame of mind. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I destress by working out. After a workout, I see things in a new light and can think more clearly.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Reading, zoning out in front of the tv/computer, knitting, talking a walk (without the dogs if I want to destress. ha)
  • Options
    alynne1113alynne1113 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Stretching, working out, hot bath, good book, raindrop treatments, massages, long walks alone to think everything over, I also make lists if I am stressed getting everything done and It makes me feel better to mark things off and break my stresses down to manageable steps if that makes sense.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_how-do-you-de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:df604eee-247b-4296-8d99-0953708dc50dPost:cd34b395-c85a-44de-8937-39c4bfbf70c3">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]walking/running talking to H naps hot baths wine I have TMJ as well and when my stress level is up, I clench much harder at night and wake up with a headache and jaw pain. I sleep with a mouth guard most nights. Have you looked into getting one?  I got mine at the dentist so it's custom fit and my insurance covered it.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

I almost always wake up with a headache, I didn't think about it being related to clenching my jaw until the massage therapist mentioned it. I used to have a night guard that was custom fitted, but my teeth must have moved a little because now it's really uncomfortable.
  • Options

working out, surfing the net, walking with my dog, and my favorite, getting my hair or nails done.

• Options
    Sex and carbs.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I love a good nap. If I had more disposable income I would probably shop occasionally to de stress, haha. I also like playing with my dog as a distraction. In the summer my favorite way to relax is sitting by my parents pool.
  • Options
    Oh, nuggs that is a good one. Sex is definitely a good de stresser.
  • Options
    Reading, wine, playing with the dogs, snuggling with the H. 
  • Options
    SunriseAmberSunriseAmber member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_how-do-you-de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:df604eee-247b-4296-8d99-0953708dc50dPost:38edefd0-c88d-42e2-8ea0-0c5825bc1511">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stretching, working out, hot bath, good book, <strong>raindrop treatments,</strong> massages, long walks alone to think everything over, I also make lists if I am stressed getting everything done and It makes me feel better to mark things off and break my stresses down to manageable steps if that makes sense.
    Posted by alynne1113[/QUOTE]

What is this?
  • Options
    Shopping is my number one destresser. Wine, hot baths, walking in the rain (which seems cliche to me but it really works), getting into a good book.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_how-do-you-de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:df604eee-247b-4296-8d99-0953708dc50dPost:08ee8dd2-2729-4230-b62a-edc55bb7faeb">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do you de-stress? : What is this?
    Posted by SunriseAmber[/QUOTE]

Its a light touch massage with essential oils, they place the oils on parts of your back and feet to help detox and boost your immune system (thats kind of the jist of it). I find the oils very calming and I love the way the oils smell. And I feel all warm and fuzzy like I have been wrapped in a big warm blanket of relaxation after. 

I know it sounds totally weird but I love it more than anything else in the world! I even bought the oils and put them on at home when I am really stressed and it makes me feel better. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_how-do-you-de-stress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:df604eee-247b-4296-8d99-0953708dc50dPost:68299350-693c-473d-a84f-0139c853a5ff">Re: How do you de-stress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alynne, that sounds awesome.  I wonder where they do that around here?  Oh, also, water therapy is awesome -- scot's hose and vichy shower.  So relaxing!
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

According to google there is a few in Kansas City
    <a href="http://debbipettis.com/heal-raindrop.html" rel="nofollow">http://debbipettis.com/heal-raindrop.html</a>
  • Options
    I am not sure if this is a weird/just me thing- but I used to clench my jaw a LOT in my sleep and subsequently I would have a hard time chewing anything/opening it very far. I had a lot of success and basically stopped clenching by massaging my jaw myself, and actively concentrating on having a relaxed jaw until it became a habit. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards