Snarky Brides
Options

...Speaking of stress?

Does anyone in here take Acyclovir?  Ya know, for cold sores?

I got a prescription earlier this year because last year, the morning of my sister's wedding (where I was MOH) I was getting a cold sore.  I didn't want to get one on my wedding.

Does anyone know if I could take it like, preventatively?  As in, the few days before my wedding?  I know you're supposed to start taking it right when you feel the tingle but I'm not sure if I could take them just in case.

This dress stress makes me think of cold sores because sometimes when I get really freaked out - they pop up.

And yeah, I know... ask my pharmacist.  I probably will.  Just want to know if anyone has any experience in this :
panther

Re: ...Speaking of stress?

• Options
    edited October 2010
    This is gonna sound ridiculous, but I would get a Rx for Valtrex.  I know it's typically for the STD but FI mom (ARNP) wrote me a Rx for it two days ago because I had a huge cold sore on my nose and by this morning it's almost gone.

She said it stays in your system so there's virtually no chance of getting another one before the wedding. Like you, I get them when I'm stressed =/

EDIT:  I will say I did feel awkward picking it up at the pharmacy lol. But then again my nose was pretty much a big cold sore so they could see what was up lol
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    FI takes Valtrex every day for cold sore prevention too.  He got them 3-4 times/year, and I've never had one, so he got the prescription.

If your insurance will cover it I think it's worth looking into.
  • Options
    No it doesn't sound ridiculous!  Acyclovir is actually the generic brand of Valtrex, I think.

I've gotten them IN my nose before.  But even though they're nasty I'd rather have them in my nose than on my lips :(
    panther
  • Options
    Ahh well, I should have googled first ha.  But yeah she wrote me the script to ensure I wouldn't get one again closer to the wedding, so I'm thinking that means taking it for preventative measures is fine.

Ditto about the lips thing.  I've fortunately never had them on my lips, but always in/on my nose.  They suck but at least they aren't on my lips!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I get them on my lips and take Valtrex when I feel the tingle.  I think that probably you'd be fine if you took it as a preventative measure.  Obviously, I'm not a doctor, or a pharmacist, but I've taken them when I thought I was getting a tingle or when I was recovering from a really bad sunburn or fever (both will cause me to get the cold sores), without feeling the tingle, and have never had any adverse effects that I'm aware of.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I had to change to it because Valtrex was no longer covered on my plan. You can take it preventively, as that's how it was prescribed to me, but you should call your dr. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    AATB- you can take acyclovir preventatively.  Acyclovir isn't the generic for Valtrex, but it is in the same class and works very similarly.  Obviously I love posting on dead threads, but just wanted to agree with the previous posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards