Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Cake Tasting experience

We met with 3 cake vendors: Tabitha Ballard (thanks to Marissa), Colleen's Cakes and Sweet Art Bakery.Tabitha Ballard- It's $1.50 per serving and she has a variety of flavors.  They were pretty yummy but some were dry.  She was really nice and helpful and we liked her.  It will be $20 to deliver for us.Colleen's Cakes- $3.50 a slice, no delivery and set up charge.  She had the most sophisticated flavors of the group.  You get to taste every single flavor she has and you get to take them home.  Stupid me left the cupcakes out over 24 hours and they didn't have the liners on them either and they were still super moist.  No charge for different flavors in the tiers.  She has a 5 star rating on weddingwire.Sweet Art Bakery-  Sarah was really nice but the cakes weren't anything fancy.  The lemon is really good but everything else is just so so.  It's $2.50 a slice for vanilla or chocolate buttercream; premium fillings are $3.00 and she charges delivery and set-up, per mile.  There's a charge of $10 for every flavor you add; if you want 3 different flavored tiers, it would be an extra $20.  Even though she's originally cheaper per slice than Colleen's, the extras pile up.  The cake was left out for a couple of hours and it was dry.  I was hoping for something more, honestly.  She has a 5 star rating on weddingwire as well.We have a few details to figure out before we decide who we will definitely go with but we are leaning towards Colleen.

Re: Cake Tasting experience

• Options
    DonnaariesDonnaaries member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey thanks for the reviews!  I just tasted with Sweet Art on Sunday and agree with your assessment, the cakes were dry and dense, and the only filling I liked was that lemon cream, because it was the only one that wasn't shockingly sweet.
    D&M Bio
    Now with vendor reviews!
    Donna Cooks: My Food Blog
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVED Colleen's cakes. I went to a tasting with for my ex friend's wedding. I was totally going to book her for mine, but she was booked for my date. She was even cheaper back then though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    this is a wonderful post and very helpful...I felt the exact same way about Tabitha...she was the sweetest person and very helpful but I felt as though the samples she provided (for me at least) were very dry but her pricing was within my budget as well as her delivery fee but the tasting just eliminated her from my list of considerations. do you mind sharing the contact info for Colleen's Cakes?...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...the samples Tabitha gave us were not dry, but I totally get why you would lean towards the other lady. Tabitha works great for us because the cake is not all that big of a deal for us and budget was a huge factor.In all honesty, if the cake were top priority for me and we wanted to spend more, I might go with someone else too, but I thought she was an amazing deal for all she offered and the quality of the cake.I think she needs a few years to really build a reputation (and a better website) and she might be a top vendor then
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not all the cake we tried was dry, just some of them.  The chocolate fudge was great.  And I agree with you 100%, Marissa.We have made the decision to go with Colleen. 
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Colleen sounds great, I'm going to add her to my list!
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay!!!!  I'm so glad you got this taken care of as I was really feeling sorry for you last week when you were talking about your frustrations. Maggiano's had a cake vendor when we first signed and her cakes were dry and pretty tasteless.  I was glad when they dumped her.  The cake wasn't necessarily my biggest priority either but I didn't want it to taste like sawdust. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Julie!The cake wasn't a big priority for us until we had some really gooood cake, lol. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards