Snarky Brides
Options

AW: New Puppy needs a name

So we picked him up last night. He is a Mastiff mixed with an unknown, but will still get pretty big. We think the mix might be Pitt Bull based on pictures but no real grounds. I didn't have many good pics of him because he just tries to eat the camera.

The problem we are having is naming him. We want something unusual, as in not your typical dog name, but I also don't like human names for dogs. Ugh, this is so hard. I really want to name him Dinner, because FI is Korean and we think it's funny, but the kid hates it. I also like Minion.

He is stubborn, has pretty green eyes, and chews on everything. Any suggestions?

20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: AW: New Puppy needs a name

• Options
    muffintop?
  • Options
    Groucho
    Jimminy
    Soup
  • Options
    Ha. One of the other dogs at the dog park is named "Gogi", which I think is "meat" in Korean (maybe 'dinner'? something like that).... for the same reason. The mom is Korean, and they thought it was funny.

I was a little off-put by it at first, but whatever.  At least 'Gogi' is just a cute name if you don't know the reasoning behind it!
  • Options
    Fi likes Bones, and Boothe for that matter. I have tried to get him to tell me more Korean words but he won't do it. All of the Korean translators I find come back with Korean writing.

I even tried Dosa Jeu Nyuk, which is Mastiff Dinner, but no. Ugh.

Soup might work.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Well I like the name Diesel for large dogs.

I personally like waiting to see what their personality says about them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Diesel

Kane

I like Dosa, but for a female. Whatever you name him, definitely not dinner. And holy hera is he freakin cute.

• Options
    He's so cute! Congratulations on the addition. I always liked the name Tank for a big dog. But I also reallly like the idea of incorporating something Korean.
  • Options
    Monster.

Only because that is one cuuuute puppy!
  • Options
    Google's got a good translator... 

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?q='meat'&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sl=en&tl=ko&sa=X&ei=vgwSTfKmCcnsnQel78WYDg&ved=0CBYQrgYwAA#

just click on "read phonetically"  

p.s. how ironic is it that 'phonetically' does not look like it sounds?
  • Options
    Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I also need to add that when he whines he sounds like a bird chirping or a cat fighting. It's the funniest sound.

Additional picture FI just sent me. He took him to work with his playpen, after keeping FI up all night the little guy crashed hard.

Thanks Steph, that might help
  • Options
    No suggestions but you should just give him to me instead because he is SO cute!
  • Options
    I thought you guys had settled on Goliath?  I thought that was pretty cute.
  • Options
    We hadn't settled on Goliath. FI likes it, but I'm not sold. He actually wants Goliath National Bank, because that's the bank the characters on How I met you mother work.

I wanted to call him Chirp after the noises he made last night.
  • Options
    Did you get him from the shelter on the Northside?  That's where I got my dog.  

I'm no help with names because I love human names for dogs.  I do like Goliath.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ahh, I see.  I maintain that Goliath is cute and most certainly appropriate.  And if it's Chirp, well then I can't complain, can I?
  • Options
    Dozer!

He's gonna bit a big boy and soooooo cute!
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    It's totally ironic Steph.  Just like abbreviation is such a long word.  Weird.

YIO, the pupp is adorable.  I'm terribe at naming pets.  H and I agonized over what to name little Chloe.  She was Cleo for a while, but we couldn't stop talking in cheesy Jamaican accents and telling each other's fortunes, so we rearranged changed it.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did get him from the shelter on the North Side. The WPHS
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-new-puppy-needs-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f01a1725-2687-43e0-9517-2624aec18b92Post:8da9caa1-fd76-4a68-a455-322e8bedf733">Re: AW: New Puppy needs a name</a>:
    [QUOTE]We hadn't settled on Goliath. FI likes it, but I'm not sold. He actually wants Goliath National Bank, because that's the bank the characters on<strong> How I met you mother </strong>work. I wanted to call him Chirp after the noises he made last night.
    Posted by Y I Oughta[/QUOTE]

What about Stinson then?
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oooh Dozer is a good one.  Tiny would be my second favorite.  I like irony for large dogs. 

• Options
    I also like

Tonka
    Hercules
    Goliath
    Denali
    Chopper
    Harley

And here is a link to a page with a bunch of names
    http://www.dogpage.us/dog-names/Mastiff.html
    imageimage

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-new-puppy-needs-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f01a1725-2687-43e0-9517-2624aec18b92Post:0f3c4c6b-3844-4ae8-8a0f-a244b0b80878">Re: AW: New Puppy needs a name</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's totally ironic Steph.  Just like abbreviation is such a long word.  Weird. YIO, the pupp is adorable.  I'm terribe at naming pets.  H and I agonized over what to name little Chloe.  <strong>She was Cleo for a while, but we couldn't stop talking in cheesy Jamaican accents and telling each other's fortunes, so we rearranged changed it.
    </strong>Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

This is hilarious! Our dog is Cleo (Cleopatra) DH calls her Cleopotimus.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_aw-new-puppy-needs-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f01a1725-2687-43e0-9517-2624aec18b92Post:0a417f1b-766b-42cb-b4ef-b02f4e0c98c2">Re: AW: New Puppy needs a name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: New Puppy needs a name : What about Stinson then?
    Posted by raynes[/QUOTE]

<div>I change my vote to this.</div><div>
    </div><div>or Marshall.</div>
  • Options
    That's where I got Simon-- they put me in a tiny room to play with a puppy for like half an hour and then they come back to "see how you feel about it."  Really?  I'm going to play with a 2 month old puppy for half an hour and not want to take him home?

I like Tonka and Chopper too.  I know a Mastiff named Harley & one named Tiny.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I vote for naming your dog after inanimate objects. Soup is still my obvious favourite.
  • Options
    Even if you don't like Goliath call him GNB for fun. 
  • Options
    Buster
    Bruce
    Bubba (my fam's dog is named Bubba, I think that name is fucking hilarious)
    Bruiser
    Bam

...I like B names
    panther
  • Options
    Nebb's got the idea. I'm looking for something off the wall. FI turned down soup. : (

But there are some good suggestions I will run past FI. I might try looking for an interesting bird species name since he sounds like a little bird.
  • Options
    Well since you want to go the route of birds....here ya go

http://didyouknow.org/birds.htm
    imageimage

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    Aww, he's adorable!  I voted for Minion.

I don't see Pit.  The mix looks more Shepherd and Lab to me.  Whatever he is, it'll probably become more apparent as he gets older and loses the universal puppy roundness.

I so want to cuddle him.  He looks warm snuggly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards