Snarky Brides

S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks?

I'm trying to plan out healthy lunches and snacks for the day, but I need variety. And salt.

What do you bring? Do you always bring leftovers? Any good (and easy) sandwiches? How often do you eat during the day?  I'm at work from seven thirtyish until about five or six, so I spend most of my eating time there.

Re: S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks?

• If we have leftovers I bring that with a piece of fruit and either a yogurt or string cheese.  
    If we don'thave leftovers, I bring a sandwhich or lean cuisine wih a piece of fruit and either a yogurt or string cheese.  
    I'm boring :)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I keep granola bars and mini apple cinnamon rice cakes in my desk for when I need a snack. We get a late lunch (12.35) so I usually have a mid-morning snack. I also keep some mini candy bars for when I need an afternoon pick-me-up.

I have a friends who keeps a giant bag of pretzels.

For lunch, I either eat what's in the cafeteria, take in left-overs from dinner, or I bring a turkey sandwich, easy Velveeta, or one of those Marie Callendar microwaveable things.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Okay, that's a lot of food, Edie.  I bring about that much, but I feel like everyone else eats so little and I look crazy.

Lately, I've been bringing:
    Kashi bar for breakfast (it's all I can choke down in the morning, besides coffee)

Yogurt and veggies or yogurt and string cheese or veggies and string cheese for snack

Pita pocket with chicken cold cuts and shredded lettuce plus soup or veggies on the side. 

goldfish as additonal snack. 

It's good enough, but I get bored eating the same thing. 
  • Well, I'm a little... odd... as of right now, because I eat all the damn time. I can't eat like a full meal at one sitting, so I'm snacking all the time. Like, once/hour? I also can't eat breakfast first thing in the morning, so I wait until I get to work. Thankfully, I have my own office so it's not a big deal.

In my desk, I keep:
    *box of instant oatmeal packets
    *jar of peanut butter (for crackers or apple/banana)
    *box of crackers 
    *a bunch of hard candy
    *bag of granola (for yogurt)

I usually bring:
    *breakfast: Greek Yogurt
    *lunch (almost always leftovers) and carrots or celery
    *apple
    *banana
    *grapes
    *granola bar

Yeah, I really do bring all that stuff with me every day. I'm on a huge fruit kick right now, at least.
  • Oh, Linds, sidenote, but my IT guy is going to copy that game for you and Whitsy.  I haven't forgotten it, but I couldn't get it to copy so that I could send it. 
  • edited February 2012
    I bring oatmeal for breakfast with a peice of fruit and peanut butter. A 90 calorie fiber bar or brownie for a mid morning snack. Walmart has these premade salads for $3 a peice so I eat that for lunch. Plain greek yogurt with granola, more fruit, and sometimes a candy bar or another granola-y type bar. I work 10 hour days so I need a lot of food, but I just generally eat a lot to begin with.

Edited to add: trail mix. delicious healthy and salty snack
  • Oh, I try to make our meals be things that work for leftovers too, and make about 4 servings worth. So we almost always have the same thing for dinner one night and lunch the next day. Neither of us mind too much, so it works well.

If we don't have leftovers, I usually bring a sandwich or a can of soup. I think I have a few Lean Cuisines in the freezer at work, too. (There's always a stockpile between a bunch of us. It's usually safe to just grab a random one as long as I bring a new one. ha)
  • Thanks Nates! That will be awesome to have, especially now that I finally got my own computer screen projector.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-of-meal-plans-what-do-you-bring-for-lunch-and-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f15d3c33-8326-4d04-bf23-582959d60a5aPost:c907ba4e-e624-4fd8-90e3-b722cd7e2fc2">Re: S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I try to make our meals be things that work for leftovers too, and make about 4 servings worth. So we almost always have the same thing for dinner one night and lunch the next day. Neither of us mind too much, so it works well. If we don't have leftovers, I usually bring a sandwich or a can of soup. I think I have a few Lean Cuisines in the freezer at work, too. <strong>(There's always a stockpile between a bunch of us. It's usually safe to just grab a random one as long as I bring a new one. ha)</strong>
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]
    Omg, people at my job are such pigs.  It's happened more often than I can count that someone brings in food that's obviously theirs (like restaurant leftovers or something) and someone eats it. WTF?  Taking a yogurt you thought was yours, okay, easy mistake to make. But eating a lunch you know you didn't pack? Insane. 

There was no real point to that, lol.

Trail mix would be good to have on hand.  I'm not a huge leftover person, but I try to bring them in so that we use them up. N usually gets all the leftovers, but sometimes there's too much for just him.  I don't really like the taste reheated food, which is weird. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-of-meal-plans-what-do-you-bring-for-lunch-and-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f15d3c33-8326-4d04-bf23-582959d60a5aPost:ea804814-c2fc-4bed-9eec-558277c0af25">Re: S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I'm a little... odd... as of right now, <strong>because I eat all the damn time. I can't eat like a full meal at one sitting, so I'm snacking all the time. Like, once/hour?</strong> I also can't eat breakfast first thing in the morning, so I wait until I get to work. Thankfully, I have my own office so it's not a big deal. In my desk, I keep: *box of instant oatmeal packets *jar of peanut butter (for crackers or apple/banana) *box of crackers  *a bunch of hard candy *bag of granola (for yogurt) I usually bring: *breakfast: Greek Yogurt *lunch (almost always leftovers) and carrots or celery *apple *banana *grapes *granola bar Yeah, I really do bring all that stuff with me every day. I'm on a huge fruit kick right now, at least.
    Posted by Steph+J[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ah, I remember those days :)  Hopefully you'll be feeling better in the 2nd tri!

</div>
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I always make extra servings when I cook dinner so I can bring leftovers the next day or two for lunch.

If no leftovers, I like to bring cheese and crackers, fruit, yogurt, or salads (I have that cool container with the salad dressing holder so your salad doesn't get soggy).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-of-meal-plans-what-do-you-bring-for-lunch-and-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f15d3c33-8326-4d04-bf23-582959d60a5aPost:11db3dc6-ebb2-4e33-80e4-32b1ee02117d">Re: S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always make extra servings when I cook dinner so I can bring leftovers the next day or two for lunch.<strong> If no leftovers, I like to bring cheese and crackers, fruit, yogurt, or salads </strong>(I have that cool container with the salad dressing holder so your salad doesn't get soggy).
    Posted by cardmonsta[/QUOTE]
    Cute sig!

See, this would never be enough to hold me over. Whenever I bring in a salad, I feel faint and shaky by my last period class. 
  • I snack on: 

-Cottage cheese and greek yogurt for breakfast OR
    -Oatmeal and a fruit (usually an orange)
    -More fruits, like grapes or strawberries
    -Trail mix
    -Ritz crackers and PB
    -Apples with PB
    -Plain PB 
    -Lean cuisine type meal for lunch OR
    -Leftovers

I have a drawer in my desk where I keep the crackers, PB, trail mix, etc. and the fruit and foods that spoil I bring daily. I've been really bad the past few weeks about brining good snacks, but I used to keep my desk stocked. This thread is really going to help me get back on the snack wagon.

• edited February 2012
    I always pack my lunch. usually 3/5 days it's dinner leftovers. The other days I'll do any one of these:

Tuna in a Flat Out wrap. I usually mix the tuna with some avocado or a little mayo/Greek Yogurt. I've also mixed carrots in with it.
    A big salad: greens, feta cheese, grilled chicken, strawberries, walnuts, hard boiled egg whites, cucumbers and Pomegranate dressing
    Turkey sandwiches on Thinny bagels or Sandwich Thins with mustard, lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers

For snacks, I do a morning and afternoon snack. Any of the these:
    banana and all natural PB
    apple/string cheese
    almonds
    Greek yogurt
    Kashi bar

ETA: With lunch I will have something else (except for the big salad--it's filling!) I'll usually bring a piece of fruit or Dannon Lite and Fit yogurt or a dark chocolate square. If I bring a sandwich, I will sometimes bring a serving of Pop Chips. Try them! They're amazing and healthier than regular chips or baked chips.

Vacation
  • I try to make a big batch of soup or stew on Sundays so I have a quick lunch to grab.  If not, it's leftovers from the night before, like a chicken breast and some veggies.  

I also bring cheese and veggies to snack on during the day- oh, and almonds.  I'm obsessed with the chili lime flavored almonds right now.

I know what you mean about needing a substantial lunch though.  My assistant has like a granola bar for lunch and that's it.  Meanwhile, I'm in my office scarfing down a big bowl of soup and cheese.  Maybe a salad would be enough if I had the time in the morning to put avocado, chicken, and other yummies on it but I don't.  Making it the night before is tough too.  It takes any energy I have left to make dinner, pack up leftovers, and clean the kitchen.  I'm not up for another meal prep.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-of-meal-plans-what-do-you-bring-for-lunch-and-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f15d3c33-8326-4d04-bf23-582959d60a5aPost:1fc1faa7-f697-4fe2-b716-5cad3e3af0ce">Re: S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks? : Cute sig! See, this would never be enough to hold me over. Whenever I bring in a salad, I feel faint and shaky by my last period class. 
    Posted by ZombieNates[/QUOTE]

<div>Add protein to your salad, then. Add some tuna or chicken or eggs or something.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-of-meal-plans-what-do-you-bring-for-lunch-and-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f15d3c33-8326-4d04-bf23-582959d60a5aPost:b5c6eeb5-05d4-44b1-8c50-ef5e36b10dbe">Re: S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I try to make a big batch of soup or stew on Sundays so I have a quick lunch to grab.  If not, it's leftovers from the night before, like a chicken breast and some veggies.   I also bring cheese and veggies to snack on during the day- oh, and almonds.  I'm obsessed with the chili lime flavored almonds right now. I know what you mean about needing a substantial lunch though.  My assistant has like a granola bar for lunch and that's it.  Meanwhile, I'm in my office scarfing down a big bowl of soup and cheese.  <strong>Maybe a salad would be enough if I had the time in the morning to put avocado, chicken, and other yummies on it but I don't.  Making it the night before is tough too.  It takes any energy I have left to make dinner, pack up leftovers, and clean the kitchen.  I'm not up for another meal prep.</strong>
    Posted by chirpchirp[/QUOTE]
    Yes! This is exactly how I feel.  I love big salads with avocado and chicken, but to get all that ready just seems overwhelming (after cooking and chores) and I'd never have enough time in the morning.

I'll try the Pop chips! It seems like I'm on par with a lot of you, in terms of the amount of food I bring in.
  • I try to always, always bring my lunch and snacks.  I spend a lot of time driving, and I use a lot of gas station bathrooms, so it would be really easy for me to grab unhealthy (and expensive!) snacks while I'm there.  I can't justify it if I have plenty of stuff with me to eat.

So for lunches, I either bring leftovers or something from the freezer (I try to make lots of double batches of things to freeze) if I'll be at the office at lunch time and can use the microwave.  Otherwise, I bring salads, fruit, yogurt, veggies and dip, or quinoa salad, etc.  Things I can eat cold in my car (not while I'm driving though).  I take one of my clients out for lunch every week, so I try to make that the only lunch I eat out.

For snacks, I bring fruit, fruit leather, veggies, homemade granola-like bars.  I always keep either nuts or a nut and dried fruit trail mix in my car. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • For those of you that don't have the time or energy--do some prep on Sundays.  Cook some chicken breasts and cut them up, and throw them in the fridge.  Do the same with some hard boiled eggs.  Make a big bowl of salad (minus the dressing or any soggy things, like cut up tomatoes--I always use cherry or grape tomatoes) and keep in the fridge.  Pre-portion out the dressing in little bitty tupperwares.  Then, all you have to do is put some salad in a container, throw your chicken on top, and grab your dressing.  Less than 5 minutes.

• I never dont bring my lunch. I alternate it but I usually bring 2 pieces of fruit (or one piece of fruit and an applesauce cup), a nature valley bar, a tablespoon of pb or celary and laughing cow wedges, big romaine salad with sauted chicken (100g) and yogurt caesar dressing (2tbsp) or a small salad (just 1tbsp of dressing) and a tuna sandwich. or just raw carrots with the sandwich. Its really rare that I bring left overs and I also always eat breakfast at home.

People at work make fun of me because I eat the same thing everyday but quite frankly i make fun of them for wasting so much money at subway.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_so-of-meal-plans-what-do-you-bring-for-lunch-and-snacks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f15d3c33-8326-4d04-bf23-582959d60a5aPost:1967be3f-1efa-43ed-9f1e-61d24ede14f2">Re: S/O of Meal Plans--what do you bring for lunch and snacks?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For those of you that don't have the time or energy--do some prep on Sundays.  Cook some chicken breasts and cut them up, and throw them in the fridge.  Do the same with some hard boiled eggs.  Make a big bowl of salad (minus the dressing or any soggy things, like cut up tomatoes--I always use cherry or grape tomatoes) and keep in the fridge.  Pre-portion out the dressing in little bitty tupperwares.  Then, all you have to do is put some salad in a container, throw your chicken on top, and grab your dressing.  Less than 5 minutes.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    I saute my chicken for my lunches at the same time as im making dinner one night a week and just keep it in the fridge prepared and ready to throw into my salad container inthe morning. It doesnt take very much extra time or effort cause im already cooking.
  • I like snacking or frozen grapes, and granola bars. I really like the Nature Valley ones, the oats and honey, and the granola with dark chocolate. 
  • We bring the same things for snack every week: a container of mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries this week), a container with veggies and some cheese (broccoli, carrots, a piece of cheddar this week), a container with hummus in it for the veggies, a container with some Greek yogurt (blueberry this week), and another piece of fruit (banana, green apple, orange or grapefruit this week). As for lunch, DH is a sandwich fiend so he takes that. I take a salad or a frozen meal when I am lazy. Sometimes I take leftovers. On Monday's we do soup club at work so I don't have to take jack.
  • Oh yeah all of my salads get prepped ahead of time, usually on Sunday. I grill up a bunch of chicken, already cut in strips. My strawberries are sliced and in a container, same with cucumbers. I boil a bunch of eggs and then keep them in the fridge for the week. Then each morning, I just throw all the stuff together really quick (could probably assemble the night before too). Since I've started prepping/batch cooking on Sundays, eating during the week has been so much easier!

Vacation
  • Yeah, I need to be better with pre-preparing things so that I can grab and go during the week.  I want a personal chef ;)

• If you can pay me, I'll personal chef you.

• If you will accept compliments, snuggles from Baxter, and a partner to mock people, then I can pay you!
  • I bring three snacks and lunch. I always bring  a bag of veggies (carrots and sugar snap peas) and either red, orange, green peppers, cucumber, cut up tomato with pepper , grape tomatos or celery with the bag of veggies (I rotate daily)
    The my other two snacks are either, half a grapefruit, a cup of greek yogurt with honey, plain yogurt with flax and 1/4 cup of granola and dried strawberries,  an orange, an apple, rice cakes, a cup of strawberries/blueberrys/blackberries or a fiber one granola bar

For my main I have a toasted tomato sandwich with a slice of mozza and fresh spices. Or a salad with flavored tuna and salsa poured on top, or more often a frozen smart ones weight watchers lunch, I love the veggy lasagna and the beans and rice. Sometimes I bring chicken and spinach wraps with garlic chili sauce. 

I should eat more left overs but my husband usually takes them and I am not a huge left over person. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards