Snarky Brides
Options

Cake Ball Ladies - Need Your HALP!

How long do I keep the balls in the freezer?

TIA!
~ Missie

Welcome Baby Grace to the world! (via emergency c-section @ 38w2d)
2/24/12 12:03pm 5lbs, 9oz Birth Story
imageimageimage
image image image
Linky--> EP FB Group - March '12 FB Group <---Linky </b>

Re: Cake Ball Ladies - Need Your HALP!

• Options
    The recipe I followed online said 20 minutes. I think they needed longer. 
  • Options
    Like, while you're making them? I think it's just so that they're cold enough that they're easy to cover in candy/chocolate.
  • Options
    Hey, I'm making these today!  I just put mine in the freezer.

I am not sure how long but I'm not going to even check on them until this afternoon or tonight sometime.  They should be completely frozen I think, so they don't fall apart when you dip them.
    panther
  • Options
    I put mine in the refridegerator because my freezer is too small and full. 3 hrs in the fridge, so I think 1-2 hrs in the freezer would be sufficient.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I just put mine in and am going to shower/run errands and then coat them.

Much appreciated!!! 

AATB - post pics when you're done? 
    ~ Missie

imageimageimage
    image image image
  • Options
    I just tried my first cake ball a couple days ago...omg so delish.
  • Options
    I just put the entire batch of crushed up cake in the fridge over night.
  • Options
    I think I will msteph!  I've actually been posting pictures on my facebook during the whole process.  So far so good.  Kinda hoping that this last step isn't an epic fail.  I will be really pissed!
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-ball-ladies-need-halp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f7064ec3-973b-46e1-96fe-8cfabf4f953ePost:1d33b327-8cbf-4131-8751-e0afa4fcee40">Re: Cake Ball Ladies - Need Your HALP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just put the entire batch of crushed up cake in the fridge over night.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

<div>This. Then I threw them in the freezer while I cleaned up after they were formed. Maybe half an hour?</div>
  • Options
    Mmm. I need to make cake balls now.
  • Options
    @AATB - I have been taking pictures throughout the process as well!  LOL Glad I'm not the only one.  I usually do this when I make a new meal or a recipe I know my family loves.  When someone asks for the recipe, I send it with the pictures.  We do this a lot in my group of friends too when sharing recipes.  :)
    ~ Missie

imageimageimage
    image image image
  • Options
    I have left them in for a few hours to an entire day before. Depends on when I do them/when I need them.

I still have some in the freezer from September... I wonder if theyre still good?
  • Options
    Haha fun msteph!  That's a good idea, this is the first time I've ever done it.  I always take pics of food, but, it's usually just the finished product and right before I eat it.  I'm weird.

What kind of cake balls are you making?  I'm making RED VELVET!
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-ball-ladies-need-halp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f7064ec3-973b-46e1-96fe-8cfabf4f953ePost:562c3da4-ec50-49a6-a814-80a6588fceaf">Re: Cake Ball Ladies - Need Your HALP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay I really need to take a stab on making these yummy delish balls you guys are talking about. Ha ha, balls.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

You really do. They're super easy and so yummy. My first ones were white cake with white chocolate frosting and white chocolate coating, with Oreo chunks in the mix,(I have a thing for Oreos in cake) and they were amazing.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-ball-ladies-need-halp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f7064ec3-973b-46e1-96fe-8cfabf4f953ePost:e5fe88b3-d5f0-457c-b10b-2ddeb0e58304">Re: Cake Ball Ladies - Need Your HALP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sooo, do you guys roll them by hand or use that melon-baller thingamajig?
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

Hand
  • Options
    I rolled mine by hand, but it would have been nice to use a baller thingy.  The red velvet was hilarious to work with.  My hands were all red.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-ball-ladies-need-halp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f7064ec3-973b-46e1-96fe-8cfabf4f953ePost:bb36636c-317e-4c01-bda0-e368c66c0456">Re: Cake Ball Ladies - Need Your HALP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I will msteph!  I've actually been posting pictures on my facebook during the whole process.  So far so good.  Kinda hoping that this last step isn't an epic fail.  I will be really pissed!
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

That is where I am at too. I have them ready to cover, and am like eff, I am going to mess this up. I am making two different kinds, and I am trying to make one batch "Rudolph"..I have no clue how they are actually going to turn out.
  • Options
    How do you dip them?  I was going to stick a toothpick through them and dip them in the chocolate and then stick them on the wax paper and take the toothpick out.
    panther
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-ball-ladies-need-halp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:f7064ec3-973b-46e1-96fe-8cfabf4f953ePost:f9e07c93-5b88-4091-b163-289fdcca64d7">Re: Cake Ball Ladies - Need Your HALP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How do you dip them?  I was going to stick a toothpick through them and dip them in the chocolate and then stick them on the wax paper and take the toothpick out.

I tried that, but mine weren't cold enough so I had to sit them in a spoon and roll them. It probably would've worked if I had frozen them.
  • Options
    Oh okay Any :) Yeah I plan on mine being frozen pretty good before I attempt this dipping bullshit. 
    panther
  • Options
    I split the giant cake/icing ball into 2 smaller balls and freeze them for about 30 minutes. Then I keep one ball in the freezer while I roll the little balls, put that back in, take out the other and roll more little balls.
    Take out the initial little balls (which have now been back in the freezer about 5 more minutes) stick a toothpick down the center, dip them into a small teacup with candy melt and use a spoon to scoop the melt onto the whole cake ball.
    If the cake balls seem to be softening up or start falling off the toothpick I stick them back in the freezer for about 5 minutes.

I've also heard people stock up on Easter Egg decorating kits in the spring and then use the wire egg dippers with pretty good success.
  • Options
    ricksangricksang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I use gloved hands.Also I just sit mine on a fork and dip them that way there isn't excess chocolate. I am making marble cake cake balls.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_cake-ball-ladies-need-halp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:f7064ec3-973b-46e1-96fe-8cfabf4f953ePost:897aee8b-3c0e-4b0d-8df1-2c90ff4afb85">Re: Cake Ball Ladies - Need Your HALP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I rolled mine by hand, but it would have been nice to use a baller thingy.  The red velvet was hilarious to work with.  My hands were all red.

I made red velevet ones earlier this week they make your hands SO red!

did anyones come out even close to pretty? I admit I am a baking perfectionist but they did not look pretty lol! 

The toothpick trick didn't work for me, I couldn't get them off nicely.  I am determined to make them again and they WILL be pretty! (or something close to pretty)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    COkristiCOkristi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I made red velevet and carrot cake balls on Sunday and I still have red under one fingernail!

If you do the toothpick method, I recommend setting them on the wax paper with the toothpick on the side. If you have the toothpick on the top it creates a hole, and even if you fill it with frosting it ends up looking lumpy. My last batch was a work in progress on the toothpicks. I used to use spoons but there was so much excess coating.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am envious of your cake balls kristi
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Mine are in the freezer now! I hope they work out
  • Options
    Okay, so here is what I did - PIP HEAVY

Preheated the oven:

Mixed the batter by hand because it was 6:30 in the morning and I didn't want to wake up Greg with the mixer.

Baked the cake and let it cool (didn't take a picture of that for some reason)

Once it cooled, I crumbled it by hand and mixed it with the frosting.  I put my frosting in the microwave to make it easier to blend. 

Notice the chip bowl. All my normal bowls were in the dishwasher and I was using my backups. :) 

Rolled them by hand into balls and make a big mess. (mess not pictured)

Threw them in the freezer for 2 1/2 hours.  They were perfectly cold and hard. 

I don't have a double boiler, so I boiled water and put a glass bowl on top.

I started rolling the balls and that got really messy.

Then I tried to paint them with the basting brush.  That worked much better. 

Started just throwing them on the pan.  But I was getting annoyed by the mess. (I'm one of those people who cleans while she cooks/bakes). 

Then I lined them all up - froze them for about 20 more minutes, melted white chocolate and drizzled them.  This was messy and fun!

I used Betty Crocker Super Moist Milk Chocolate cake mix.  And Rich & Creamy Triple Chocolate Fudge frosting.  I bought candy coating chocolate (had never bought this before) and Toll House White Chocolate.  I didn't want to get too crazy since this was my first time and wasn't sure what to expect.
    ~ Missie

imageimageimage
    image image image
  • Options
    I was completely out of patience by the time I got done with them, so I didn't do the cute drizzly stuff, but here are mine:

I did holiday funfetti cake and frosting. They're very festive in person :)  I used a fork, so I could tap off the excess chocolate coating.  Then I used a toothpick to slide them off onto the wax paper.  Worked pretty well for me, once I got the hang of it.

I did use a melon-baller to scoop even sized balls, then formed them by hand.
  • Options
    Double boilers seem like such extra work. My lazy butt just microwaves the candy melts. Here's the batch I made at Thanksgiving.

I just leave the toothpicks in them. It makes for less messy fingers, especially when the 4 year old is over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards