Snarky Brides
Options

have I been living under a rock?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42446224/ns/politics-the_new_york_times

CN: A possible government shutdown is coming up, which would close national parks and museums, and many other government agencies for a furlough, purportedly to determine who is 'essential'. The IRS could stop sending refund checks, court cases might not be heard, etc.

Has anyone else heard of this? I had no clue until I read it today. I really don't see what positive purpose it serves. The impression I get is that it's a prod for the parties to work on the budget. But honestly, our government is slow enough sometimes as it is (legal processes, visas and passports) that all I really see this doing is screwing with regular people!

Does anyone else have thoughts on this?

Re: have I been living under a rock?

• Options
    I only just heard about it on The Colbert Show the other day... I'm totally out of the loop, too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I heard about it a while ago, because it would supposedly directly affect my benefits and those of my dad and brother.  We would all stop getting checks apparently, which would seriously fvck over my dad.
  • Options
    To be quite honest? Yes, you have been living under a rock. I come from an area where a large majority of the workforce is federal government employees and this has been a hot topic for about a month or so, if not more. 

I am hopeful that this inability to agree upon a budget is mostly the politicians pandering to their constituents at home and that when push comes to shove they can compromise and keep the government moving forward. That may be giving more credit than is due to the politicians though, so I dunno. 

• Options
    This was supposed to happen a month ago and didn't. Our phones were blowing up at work with students wanting to make sure their student loans would fund before the govt shut down. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I only heard about it last week?  I think that's strange, though, because I work for the government (state, but we still obviously get federal funding.)  I'm not entirely surprised.  Both MN and WI have threatened to close down almost every year lately.

Sadly, the NFL lockout is getting more attention.
  • Options
    I work for the government and they've been telling us for months now (FY ends in October) that there is a possibility that we won't get paid...honestly with this whole situation- I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't believe that the entire DoD isn't going to get a paycheck come the 15th.
  • Options
    My state's government shut down for like a day a few years ago.  There was the big deal because my professors (i was still in college) didn't know if they were going to come to work or not if the government actually shut down.  School districts and universities came out and said we have X many of day we are able to pay our staff until we will shut down.  My FI had to wait hours and hours to renew his license because it happened right before his birthday and he is lazy and waited until the last minute.

In the end it literally lasted a day, essential functions still ran and it was not big deal.  But the talk up to it made it seem like the world was going to end!
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    K&J64K&J64 member
    First Comment
    They been talking about it in the news for quite some time now. Not news to me.

Photobucket
  • Options
    Not news to me either but I honestly think they'll figure something out. 

There was a government shutdown in '95, so if you wanna read about it - you should consult Google :)
    panther
  • Options
    It has been going on for months.  From what I remember there have been a two stop gap votes to fund the government on a short term basis and avoid a shut down.  I don't know if they would do it again.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_living-under-rock?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fb1c1fd6-bb42-4779-85e0-6617c4d7c729Post:38a764e4-b655-4d0b-b889-1143020e77a1">have I been living under a rock?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42446224/ns/politics-the_new_york_times" rel='nofollow'>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42446224/ns/politics-the_new_york_times</a> CN: A possible government shutdown is coming up, which would close national parks and museums, and many other government agencies for a furlough, <strong>purportedly to determine who is 'essential'</strong>. The IRS could stop sending refund checks, court cases might not be heard, etc. Has anyone else heard of this? I had no clue until I read it today.<strong> I really don't see what positive purpose it serves. The impression I get is that it's a prod for the parties to work on the budget.</strong> But honestly, our government is slow enough sometimes as it is (legal processes, visas and passports) that all I really see this doing is screwing with regular people! Does anyone else have thoughts on this?
    Posted by SereJane[/QUOTE]

Since I live in DC and work in Congress I have unfortunately heard way more about this than I care to. If it happens both me and FI would probably still work but be unpaid until they get everthing together.

A few things though, what is basically happening is that Congress isn't passing the bill that appropriates money and gives it to other parts of the government, this is why they shut down, because the money stops flowing in. The purpose of a shutdown (well there isn't really a purpose of a shutdown) isn't to determine who is essential. Although, during the shutdown various agencies will determine that some of their staff is essential and those people will continue work (and possibly be paid retroactively, this is what will most likely happen to me and my FI as well as some people who work in defense or national security.)

Like I said before, there isn't really a purpose to the shutdown. It just happens when Congress can't pass a budget for the fiscal year or when they can't pass an appropriatons bill to fund that budget. Since government spending was such a hot topic in the last election the new Republican majority in the House is pretty gung-ho about cutting spending where ever possible and introducing a much reduced budget. Many moderates and Democrats in both the House and Senate think too much is being cut (one thing you might have heard about is the push to stop federal funding of PBS and NPR) so they are kind of at a stalemate. The fact that so many members of Congress are new this year is kind of compounding the problem, in my opinion, since they don't seem to completely understand how everything works yet.

But the shut down isn't for them to work on the budget per se, it happens because they have been working on a budget without coming to a consensus. I hope that all made sense.
  • Options
    It makes sense to me anna - and I think you did a great job of explaining it.  I think if people understand exactly what is going on it's less alarming.  The last thing people need to hear is that the government is going to just implode and that we're all effed, because that's just not the case.
    panther
  • Options
    I'm sure they will figure something out too, however, my BIL is in the Army and they've prepared them to not be paid during this time.  How f'd is that?
  • Options
    Anna, thanks for that explanation! It really made sense to me.
    I never had a "world is going to end" feeling, but I do think that stopping or delaying processes such as visas, tax refunds, etc is lame
  • Options
    Jcb, they're not paying active duty troops?!  I didn't read all of the article, but I could understand troops who are living on base or wherever doing their day jobs.  Active duty troops = essential to me.  Maybe since we're fighting in like 10 wars right now pretty much ALL of our troops are on active duty.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_living-under-rock?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fb1c1fd6-bb42-4779-85e0-6617c4d7c729Post:6ce7297e-2d07-4a97-a449-739177f775fb">Re: have I been living under a rock?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work for the government and they've been telling us for months now (FY ends in October) that there is a possibility that we won't get paid...honestly with this whole situation- I'll believe it when I see it.<strong> I just don't believe that the entire DoD isn't going to get a paycheck come the 15th.</strong>
    Posted by primadancer413[/QUOTE]

The really awesome part? Congress is trying to still pay themselves in case of a shut down - on house rep was crying about how he obviously quit his job to run for congress and has a mortgage and stuff. No shiit, sherlock, and people like post office employees don't support families?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Considering I'm about to file for my green card, which is on a very specific time frame, I'm going to be pissed if this actually happens.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_living-under-rock?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fb1c1fd6-bb42-4779-85e0-6617c4d7c729Post:d148460a-80ad-45b9-908b-35eea15371cb">Re: have I been living under a rock?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Considering I'm about to file for my green card, which is on a very specific time frame, I'm going to be pissed if this actually happens.
    Posted by Anysunrise[/QUOTE]

<div>Welcome to America!</div>
  • Options
    *peeks out from under my own rock*

It depends on where you get your news. CNN has been waaaay too busy telling us about Charlie Sheen to put this story on the front page until today.

It's new to me too.

• Options
    I must be living under a rock too because I only heard about it today on my month board when someone mentioned them closing passport processing, which oddly enough, I just filed my application for my passport today. 

I generally keep up with the news, so I must have totally missed every headline that mentioned this recently.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You guys must have big rocks, or maybe it's just because of where I live because this has been a daily thing for the last couple of months. Many of my friends will be out of work if this occurs so yeah, sucks.

I also found it ironic that (as of this morning at least) the IRS was still going to be open to accept tax money, but the help line would not be available and refunds would not be issued. I love our govt.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_living-under-rock?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fb1c1fd6-bb42-4779-85e0-6617c4d7c729Post:45d8d7f4-5a46-473f-aee9-74ba8c931884">Re: have I been living under a rock?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>You guys must have big rocks,</strong> or maybe it's just because of where I live because this has been a daily thing for the last couple of months. Many of my friends will be out of work if this occurs so yeah, sucks. I also found it ironic that (as of this morning at least) the IRS was still going to be open to accept tax money, but the help line would not be available and refunds would not be issued. I love our govt.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]
    This. But I totally understand that we live in the middle of it, so no offense intended. :) Not looking forward to the next few days though. It's all up in the air, but everything is a possibility at this point. Fingers crossed for a budget! 
  • Options
    I don't happen to know anyone who works for the government, otherwise, I am quite sure I would have heard about it by now. That does seriously suck for those who do.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_living-under-rock?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fb1c1fd6-bb42-4779-85e0-6617c4d7c729Post:45d8d7f4-5a46-473f-aee9-74ba8c931884">Re: have I been living under a rock?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You guys must have big rocks, or maybe it's just because of where I live because this has been a daily thing for the last couple of months. Many of my friends will be out of work if this occurs so yeah, sucks. <strong>I also found it ironic that (as of this morning at least) the IRS was still going to be open to accept tax money, but the help line would not be available and refunds would not be issued. I love our govt.</strong>
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

I know, right!!  I just efiled mine on Saturday, and I heard that the IRS may still issue refunds for efilers so fingers crossed.

It's egregious to me that CONGRESS will still get paid when they are the cause of this mess!!!  Their job is to legislate and to approve a budget.  They are not doing their job so why should they get paid when so many others who ARE doing their jobs are not getting paid?  They need to suck it up like everyone else.  I'm not a federal employee so I have no skin in the game (other than my tax refund), but I can still see that this is BS.
  • Options
    Re: Congress getting paid. I've heard that a few members have put forward the idea of suspending pay for themselves during a shut down but it's actually illegal. Any change in pay for members would be unconstitutional under the 27th Amendment which states that any alterations members of Congress make to their own compensation can not take effect until the next Congress.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_living-under-rock?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fb1c1fd6-bb42-4779-85e0-6617c4d7c729Post:ee32b94c-610f-4cef-b7d9-8d0f1dbba1be">Re: have I been living under a rock?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Re: Congress getting paid. I've heard that a few members have put forward the idea of suspending pay for themselves during a shut down but it's actually illegal. Any change in pay for members would be unconstitutional under the 27th Amendment which states that any alterations members of Congress make to their own compensation can not take effect until the next Congress.
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

Ahh, thanks for that background.  I'm sure the drafters of that amendment were more concerned about pay increases than decreases, but oh well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards