Snarky Brides
Options

Harry Potter People

I know there are a lot of you on the board around here.  But probably not on a Saturday night.  I've been watching the marathon all day.  I've never read the books (planning on doing that over my winter break, after midterms are over), but have seen all the movies multiple times.  

Anyway, my question:  why does Voldemort look the way he does?  Am I missing something?  Why doesn't he have a nose?  Is it just because he came back from the dead or whatever and looks like a total freak?  Or is this something that'll get explained in the end?

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Harry Potter People

• Options
    Because he is the heir to slytherin, he thinks he should look snake like and alters his appearance for that reason. It's all about the slytherin snakes and his bloodline being important to him. I think it also has something to do with his becomeing powerful and not looking like other wizards. I don't remember exactly how this is addressed in the books but that's what I remember. I might be wrong tho.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Really? I always wondered that too.
  • Options
    Dumbledore addresses this in book 6 - Voldemort has split his soul so many times that he no longer fully resembles a human.  They show what he looked liked as a teenager in movie 2 - pretty handsome, actually.  But by this point he has murdered so many and made so many horcruxes that he no longer looks human.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    I think it also has to do with him creating the body he has now.  It was a powerful spell, but not powerfull enough to create a perfect body, I think.
  • Options
    Ah, that makes so much sense.  I remember what he looked like as a teenager, and was wondering if there was an explanation for why he looks like he does now.  Thank you!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ok, I wasn't sure if I was remembering right or not. I was watching the marathon today and realized the guy they used as Tom Riddle in the Chamber was a completely different kid than they used in the newer movies. I don't think they look alike at all.  I cant wait to see what 15 year old Tom looks like when he grows up. Is it creepy to assume he will be really good looking?

11 yr old Tom

15 or so

16 or 17 maybe

20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Have you not seen Voldemort? lol. Definitely creepy looking and not handsome.
  • Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I'm sure he'll be good looking when he grows up-- I wonder if it'll actually be Ralph Fiennes.  And now Nightmare Before Christmas is on, this is making my studying considerably more pleasant.

Edit: KW, I think she means Tom Riddle as an adult before he goes full Voldemort.

Edit the 2nd:  So I'm a total nerd and I'm playing around on IMDB, and Tom Riddle in the Half Blood Prince is actually Ralph Fiennes' nephew.  Interesting.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Ah gotcha. I think he just goes from teen Tom to Voldemort though doesn't he? At least in the movies. Unless he's an older tom in the new one...Now I'm just confusing myself.
  • Options
    My understanding is sort of a combination of Saisong's and Amelia's.

Basically, the horcruxes messed him up AND he couldn't create a great body from scratch so he had to sort of gain strength (as seen by the fact that he is even less human looking in the earlier movies).

• Options
    Harry Potter people!
    JK Rowling books
    In Full Effect
    That's me HP the wizard supreme!
    And my man Dumbledor
    We're kicking the flow we're kickin' the flow
    And it goes a little somethin' like this
    HP back again
    check and direct and let's begin
    Party on Potter people let me hear some noise
    HP's in the house jump jump rejoice
    There's a Potter over here
    a Potter over there
    Wave your wands in the air
    Shake your deriere
    These three words when you're gettin' busy
    ALAKAZAM! there it is
    Hit me

Upside down and inside out
    I'm about to show all you folks
    What's it's all about
    Now it's time for a brother to get on the mic
    And make this mother POTTER hype
    I'm taking it back to the old school
    'Cause I'm an old fool who's so cool
    If you want to get down
    I'm gonna show you the way ALAKAZAM! there it is
    Let me hear you say

ALA kazam a laka zam a laka zam a laka zam ala (repeat 4 times)

ALAKAZAM! There it is!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fe705093-9818-4bb7-a86d-9b59c050c9adPost:18635c54-edae-4f56-97f5-2c96cad18a21">Re: Harry Potter People</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you not seen Voldemort? lol. Definitely creepy looking and not handsome.
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

Oops. I meant the actor. Not Tom himself as in Voldemort.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:fe705093-9818-4bb7-a86d-9b59c050c9adPost:811a078f-b634-4736-a9b4-c5933216a6b8">Re: Harry Potter People</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure he'll be good looking when he grows up-- I wonder if it'll actually be Ralph Fiennes.  And now Nightmare Before Christmas is on, this is making my studying considerably more pleasant. Edit: KW, I think she means Tom Riddle as an adult before he goes full Voldemort. Edit the 2nd:  So I'm a total nerd and I'm playing around on IMDB, and Tom Riddle in the Half Blood Prince is actually Ralph Fiennes' nephew.  Interesting.
    Posted by Ash2985[/QUOTE]

I am also watching NBC, my favorite movie of all time. I <3 Jack

I did hear they used Ralph's nephew in HBP and he is a very cute, yet creepy kid. The kid they use in DH is definitely more creepy and plays the part well. Much better than the first Tom in my opinion.
  • Options
    The original actor they used for Tom in CoS would have been too old to portray the Tom for HBP, kid or teenager.
    The actor in CoS, Christian Coulson, would have been pushing 30 when they filmed the teenage scenes.
    In HBP, the Tom that we see is younger than the Tom that we are supposed to see CoS.
    In HBP he asks Slughorn about Horcruxes. In CoS, he is beginning to make them.
    So using the same actor would have been ass backwards, unless they used make-up and stuff. And at that point, you might as well use another actor.

Of course, there is also the chance that the original actor just didn't want to do the part lol.

And, yeah, Voldemort had split his soul so many times, he just lost humanity to the point where he no longer resembles a human. Kinda sad, really...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_harry-potter-people?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:fe705093-9818-4bb7-a86d-9b59c050c9adPost:80a7967f-c13e-43d8-8200-b7996a341164">Re: Harry Potter People</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dumbledore addresses this in book 6 - Voldemort has split his soul so many times that he no longer fully resembles a human.  They show what he looked liked as a teenager in movie 2 - pretty handsome, actually.  But by this point he has murdered so many and made so many horcruxes that he no longer looks human.
    Posted by saisongbird[/QUOTE]

Yep this exactly. Well said. His soul is so mangled that he's not really fully human anymore.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards