Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Registering for a TV?

So Jay and I were wandering around Target tonight and we started talking about doing our registry in a couple of months. We were in electronics and Jay joked we should register for a $1500 TV.Of course we wont, but it got me thinking. My TV is too old to even hook up a DVD player (we're talking early 90s) and his is newer, but it is a whopping 10 inches. We could actually really use a new TV when we get married.Would it look bad to register for a $300 tv? You can get a nice size flat screen for that! I certainly wouldn't expect that one person would buy it, but maybe two would buy it together? Does it seem too greedy?
Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!

Re: Registering for a TV?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would register for it if thats what you want/need.  I registered for all kinds of stuff (some over $300) and if people dont want to buy it, then they dont have to.  Alternatively, you could return gifts and buy the tv with that money.  I know that sounds 'mean,' but as a guest to a wedding I would rather buy soething that the couple wants, rather than stuff they will never use.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it looks bad at all.  I registered for a few things about that amount figuring that co-workers or relatives will all go in together.  I actually had some people suggest that we register for "big ticket" items since we really don't need household stuff.  I don't think it would be inappropriate--people realize that you mean for people to go in together on things like that and that you aren't expecting one person to spring for a $300 gift.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely register for it. I'm not sure if Target is where you are registering, but I know Target and BBB offer discounts on items on your registry that did not get purchased. You may get enough in gift cards to buy it and get a discount.
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with nae, we'll probably register for one because we need one badly, and I figure we can return duplicates/extras/use gift cards if nobody actually buys it for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Register for it! And go for the gusto! I stopped feeling bad about my registry items, because peopel don't have to buy it for you if it is too expensive. Go ahead and get it if you want it. And you will get gift cards and extra cash, maybe you can buy it for yourself at a later time.
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say register for it as well.  We got some comments about registering for the Dyson.  I would just say that we never expected anyone to actually buy it but we were going to use any giftcards towards it.  And then I mentioned that we could either use a coupon for it or make it part of the completion discount.  After I explained, most people just said "Oh" and went on.  Others might not have liked it but oh well. PS:  I'm one of those people that love TV so I would think that's a necessity. 
  • Options
    almoyoalmoyo member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aaaaaand, if you don't get it, you can probably buy one with gift cards.We added a TV to our Target registry after the wedding (you can do that) so that we could get the 10% completion discount on it, and used gift cards from the wedding to purchase it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all!  People can go in together or get you gift cards to go towards it.   Just make sure you have plenty of lower ticket items to go around, too. :)
  • Options
    TCUESW1999TCUESW1999 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shoot, you should see what I registered for. I kind of did it as a joke (not really because I wouldn't mind getting it) but I registered for a big silk/fake tree and the only person who mentioned it was my grandmother because she thought it was a mistake it was on the registry, lol. Don't feel bad, I did at first but the pp's are correct, people don't have to buy it if they don't want to. I have a very broad range of pricing for gifts so I think it is nice to give your guests different choices.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whew--good :) It would be soooo nice to have a decent TV! My grandfather used to fix TVs, so our entire life, we've always had decent TVs, but on the older end. I've always had this odd desire to get a new tv someday...don't askAt any rate, we'll have plenty of small items--I have some kitchen stuff and a few decorative, but other than that, we have NADA.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered for one but we didn't get it. That's probably because it was over $800. Seriously, that was all DH. He had the gun LOL (scanning gun, that is!) I knew we wouldn't get it, but for whatever reason he thought it was cool at the possibility that we might get a new TV.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm...maybe I should hold the scanning gun...Jay's favorite thing to do while we are shopping is stick the biggest hunk of meat he kind find (usually a brisket or rack of ribs) in the cart and see how long it takes me to notice.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HAHA! That's like the little kids who stick the candy bar in at the last minute :) In order to make DH feel "included" (because not many guys are really excited about going shopping all day!) I let him hold the gun. You can always go online later and take something off ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, no. Jay is more excited about registering than I am. He has been insistent that he will pick out our silverware since we got engaged. He is very big on silverware. Heaven knows why.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He is very big on silverware. Heaven knows why. Yeah, I have definitely never heard that before! :)
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They encourage you to let the guy hold the gun.  I let Bill do that, along with pushing the basket.  It makes him happy.
  • Options
    tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Registering was(and will be) the only time Cory liked going shopping. I let him have the gun but that was more on the fact that I wasn't paying attention when they were telling us how to use it. :) And I say go for the TV, if my dad hadn't bought me one last Christmas, we would be registering for one also.
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marissa, that cracks me up. Jay sounds like a very interesting, quirky guy. I like people like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Um, Jeff was OBSESSED with getting an oyster shucker. He had to have it... I have NEVER in my entire time of knowing him seen him buy an oyster, eat an oyster, and certainly not shuck an oyster. And guess what? We now have 3 freakin' oyster shuckers... Happy husband = happy wife.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jay sounds like a very interesting, quirky guy. I like people like that. Quirky--yup that would be him.Emi--Oyster shucker? Really? Dang.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooh I hadn't even thought of registering for a TV! Now I think we will too! Oh, and one of my friends registered for an xbox360 so I think anything goes. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards