October 2013 Weddings
Options

To Live and Love, or to Leave and Live Without?

Ladies,
I need help deciding, wisdom from strangers seems to be the best answer at this point. I have a pretty tattoo across my left shoulder blade. I love it, still love it but my parents HATE everything that has to do with tattoos. They are a very conservative/religious "preserve your body" type people.

Do I ditch the tattoo or keep it?

I love it, I have gotten tons on compliments on it at the beach by women & men, and I like this etching into my body; a mark I choose to be a part of me indefinately.

I am really stuck between (A) This was my decision that I am happy to have made to this day, It's not for my parents to say how I identify and define myself. and (B) It's not that big of a deal to remove it for my wedding. If anything I can just get it redone later.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog

Re: To Live and Love, or to Leave and Live Without?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Oh and All of us 10/12/13 Brides! Happy 400 day countdown :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickersLilySlim Weight loss tickers Check out My Blog
  • Options
    yay!  I  told FI this last night!  I said next up 365!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Options
    It's so exciting! As time inches closer it starts becoming more of a real plausable event. Because the deposit on the reception venue and photographer wasn't enough to solidify things lol. Are you doing anything for your 1 year-to-marriage mark? We are going to spend a romantic weekend in the town we are getting married in.
  • Options
    Have you considered doing a shawl or shrug to cover it for your day? I think they did this on  say yes to the dress. That will be cheaper and far less painful.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with a shawl it seems pointless to get it removed pay for that then pay to get the same tattoo done over again in the same spot. And agree with the pain especally if its a big tattoo.
  • Options
    I agree with maybe a shawl for the ceremony but after the ceremony I say flaunt it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We haven't planned anything yet for that day but we do tend to do a ton of " fall things" around that time since we live in New England.  I would suggest have your tattoo covered with makeup.  A professional could totally cover it up just for the day.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Options
    I was thinking about laser treatment to get rid of some of my old scars and blemishes anyway.  It can't hurt that much, right? :-/

The only thing about make up is I have a dark complection and would not want make up to rub off on the dress.

The only thing about a shaw is I don't want to have to actively hide something durring my wedding. I don't want to think, just experience our wedding. Thats why I got a planner...

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I will definately have to think about my options.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_to-live-and-love-or-to-leave-and-live-without?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:2c1e85f3-369a-4394-8ec5-682b5de4c620Post:e9a14422-03da-4b00-9fba-49fb29042ea7">Re: To Live and Love, or to Leave and Live Without?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I was thinking about laser treatment to get rid of some of my old scars and blemishes anyway.  It can't hurt that much, right?</strong> :-/ The only thing about make up is I have a dark complection and would not want make up to rub off on the dress. The only thing about a shaw is I don't want to have to actively hide something durring my wedding. I don't want to think, just experience our wedding. Thats why I got a planner...
    Posted by GoldenCityDreamer[/QUOTE]

Be prepared, it is not a pleasent thing to have done! I was attacked by dog (9 stiches down the center of my nose) and I had laser treatments to reduce the scaring. It did not feel that great.

Also, there are makeups that cover tattoos. So if your parents really do not want to see that on your wedding day, search it. I've heard they do wonders.

Plusalso, I would not get rid of something I did for myself. I have two. One on my foot that I completely designed myself, the other on my lower back that I found a design and then changed it a little. FI hates tattoos but I got them before we started dating.

• Options
    I think your post says it all...you love it and you made the decision to get it. I have 9 tatoos (all in hideable spots- mostly) but the one on my shoulder blade will show on our wedding day. Fiance hates them! Except for a couple he knows are extra special. I've thought about covering the one on my shoulder with make up- light or dark complexion, you need a make up that won't rub off. I haven't researched it much, but I know it's our there. Check the beauty board as I've seen posts there about make up to cover tattoos.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A friend of mine did the tatoo removal process and I think it took her roughly 5 laser treatements and she said it was painful, and it's a slow heal process since they burn it off somewhat.  I found an article about covering them up that may be helpful.  http://www.ehow.com/how_5298283_cover-up-hide-fade-tattoo.html

I agree with what everyone else said.  If you love it then show your personality.  If it bothers your parents just have it hidden during the more formal photos.
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies! You all have been very helpful.

It was feeling like me vs the world over here. Thanks for the advice I'll let you know what I decided soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards