October 2013 Weddings

Invitation- who is hosting?

Hello Ladies

I am starting to think about our invitations, and I'm having a hard time determing who is hosting? FI and I are not paying for a lot, our parents have stepped up a lot to help us. With that said, we are paying for some though. My parents haven't contributed a dollar amount, but have paid for certain items (dress, cake, flowers). FI parents are divorced, and his father is remarried. His father his giving a large amount, his mother is contributing a small (but still significant and appreciated) amount. 

I am checking with all parents, but I think it would probably be best to skip the schpiel about hosting and whatnot. Maybe just put "together with their families"? 

I am open to other ideas, just looking for guidance I guess? Thanks!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invitation- who is hosting?

• I would do the together with their families...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_invitation-who-is-hosting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:62fb3cd5-c20e-445c-89cb-4995e2ba0d74Post:89abf23a-8d1a-4153-ba99-56622f50fee1">Re: Invitation- who is hosting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do the together with their families...
    Posted by jerseychic24[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree - the wording that came to mind immediately was "Together with their parents/families"...</div><div>
    </div><div>I think that will fit your situation very well.</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• That is what I am going with too because both of our parents are now divorced and remarried. It would be too confusing to put everyone's name.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • My parents are divorced, but both sets of parents (mine and FI's) are giving some money towards the wedding so I want to show them respect, even though we are also contributing a large amount towards our wedding.  Roughly a 1/3 split give or take.

We are doing the following:

Mr _X and Mrs. X request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter

libby18bell (my first and middle name)
    and 
     X Y (his first and middle name)

Son of Mr and Mrs Jon Smith 

On the 12th day of October two thousand and thirteen
    at _ _

Cause our wedding is black tie optional, we want to make it clear to our guest that it's a dressier wedding, want to avoid people showing up in jeans and sweat pants.
  • This website is extremely helpful on various wording ideas http://www.invitationconsultants.com/themed-wedding-invitations

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_invitation-who-is-hosting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:62fb3cd5-c20e-445c-89cb-4995e2ba0d74Post:cf7708d7-805f-4eea-9543-0356094d56d6">Re: Invitation- who is hosting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents are divorced, but both sets of parents (mine and FI's) are giving some money towards the wedding so I want to show them respect, even though we are also contributing a large amount towards our wedding.  Roughly a 1/3 split give or take. We are doing the following: Mr _X and Mrs. X request the honor of your presence at the marriage of their daughter libby18bell (my first and middle name) and   X Y (his first and middle name) Son of Mr and Mrs Jon Smith  On the 12th day of October two thousand and thirteen at _ _ Cause our wedding is black tie optional, we want to make it clear to our guest that it's a dressier wedding, want to avoid people showing up in jeans and sweat pants.
    Posted by libby18bell[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree and disagree....but doesn't mean that I think you are doing "anything wrong."</div><div>
    </div><div>I always thought the "son of" line is to tell guests who the groom is, if people don't already know.  At some point, however, the groom is "his own person" - depending on his age, or  the situation.</div><div>
    </div><div>If the groom's family is hosting a large percentage, then I would put their names up at the top, in the "together with their families" fashion. Stating their names as "son of" doesn't relay the fact that they are indeed hosting/paying part of the event - it just lists that they have a son, who is marrying the daughter of Mr. and Mrs X, who are HOSTING the wedding. You can choose to include that line whether  they are contributing or not. </div><div>
    </div><div>I find this to be a really tricky situation as well. If they contribute a lot, they are "hosting" and should go at the top. If they don't contribute, they can be named, or not. If they do contribute something but aren't actually "hosting" and the groom is say, 45, they might not need to be named at all.</div><div>
    </div><div>Something to think about...</div>

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Oh! Partly what makes me think this is the groom, I always thought, and I'm not googling before I type this - is listed as:

"Mr. First Name Middle Name Last Name"

Not

"First Name Middle Name"

(and then the last name listed in the "son of" section)

As in, the daughter of the hosts is marrying the man, Mr. John Rober Doe.

But, I don't really know...

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Ok, very helpful! And still a bit confusing :)

I did ask my mom though, and she said she would be fine with the "together with their families opton." She would be the one who would be most "offended" or not like that option, so I asked her first. I will also ask FIs parents, but they will most likely enjoy that option as well.

Thank you ladies  :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards