October 2013 Weddings

Registry?

When do you start one? Also, do you include that in the invitations or where? Short and sweet post!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registry?

• start one anytime - the knot checklist gives a date of I think 8 months before but just make sure it's done before you begin to have any showers.  We are doing ours on April 12th but most of the women here have theirs done already.

NEVER send that information with the invitation.  Spread registry informatin by word of mouth (make sure your families and attendants know so when asked they have the answer) OR add it to your wedding website if you have one.  Including it in your invitation suggests to your guests that you are expecting a gift (even if it's not true in the slightest). 
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • I second everything McSteph said and you can also put where you are registered on your bridal shower invitation but yes definitely not on your wedding invitation. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2013
    My FI and I did ours in January, which is very early. It's typically recommended to do a registry 3 to 6 months out because the items you wanted in your registry may go out of stock, especially if you add anything that's on sale. Regardless of when you start your registry, you'll have to update it from time to time if you want to add things or items become unavailable. Ditto on NOT putting your registry information in your wedding invitations. Period! You can put a link to your registry on your wedding website and give your guests the web address, especially if you are using the website for other valuable information such as who your bridal party is, the location of and directions to the venue, hotel blocks, etc. If you have a bridal shower, the person who is hosting the shower for you may include the little "the happy couple is registered at_____" cards with your bridal shower invites.
  • We haven't done ours yet but it is the next thing on my list.  I think 6-6 1/2 months is a good time to start!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • We did ours in the beginning of February because we have a lot of out of town guests and wanted to make sure they were up on our website when we sent out our save the dates.
  • How are you ladies referencing your wedding website in your invitations?  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:ed15ba0f-1b61-494d-b37a-5cfc1b46be31Post:e74462de-731d-46e1-8330-2b0841daa6b6">Re: Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How are you ladies referencing your wedding website in your invitations?  
    Posted by libby18bell[/QUOTE]

<div>I put mine on the Save the Date and won't put it on my invite.  If you aren't doing them or have already sent them then you can probably get away with having an insert for additional information and include it there.  </div><div>
    </div>
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • We included the website in our Save the Date information.  We weren't sure if it was really needed for the invitations, it's not like word doesn't spread pretty quickly throughout our families if need be ha ha.  Just trying to figure out how to let people know about hotel blocks too.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We included the website on our Save the Dates.  However, we didn't send Save the Dates to everyone on our guest list.  So, we are going to have an insert with the invitation (which includes info about the reception - where it is, when it starts, etc).  On that insert, we are going to put "For accommodations and more information please visit our website at GroomBride.ourwedding.com.  I don't like it when that is on the actual invitation, and I have read that the only "etiquette appropriate" way to include that info is on an insert.

• We put our website on the STDs, and we're putting it on one of the invite enclosures as well. We're having a "Map" a "Where to stay & other info" and "RSVP" enclosures. I've added the contact info for the hotel where we have a block of rooms, and under that is the website address.

We've already finished our registry because about half of our guests are OOT and my sister/MOH & my mom's friend are throwing me a shower next month.
  • Oh my gosh I love y'all!!!!!!  I was wondering what all to do.  The last wedding invitation we received DID have the registry information in it.  I did NOT like it and was worried that was the style now.  Y'all just took a load off my mind!  I really don't think we will do the STDs.  So word of mouth and our website should be just fine.

Also, my family and MOH are planning two showers.  I know that sounds crazy but I'm from Fort Worth and live in East Texas now.  So to keep people from traveling twice, they want to throw two.

Last question: how many places did y'all register?  I'm wanting to do Amazon and Target.  Good or bad idea?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:ed15ba0f-1b61-494d-b37a-5cfc1b46be31Post:79bfc97c-2a31-4dff-8b93-abc7ab7ccd38">Re: Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We included the website in our Save the Date information.  We weren't sure if it was really needed for the invitations, it's not like word doesn't spread pretty quickly throughout our families if need be ha ha.  <strong>Just trying to figure out how to let people know about hotel blocks too.</strong>
    Posted by libby18bell[/QUOTE]

Libby, we are adding an "Accomodations" insert in our invitations so people know this. We also added it to our wedding site.

OP- You can register any time now. Just make sure to update it from time to time.

• We decided against doing the pocket invitations, so we won't be doing an accomodations insert.  Hopefully word of mouth and the website included in the STD will suffice.

We registered at two places, Bed, Bath and Beyond and Kohls.  We wanted to make sure there was at least 1 of the stores where our families live.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We registered at BBB and Macy's.  I wouldn't register at more than 3 places, since it may look gift-grabby.  Target and Amazon sound good.

• We registered today at Target! It was fun but a little nerve wrecking, trying to remember it all. I'm glad they let you come back. I think their registry is a great system!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards