Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Appetizer Menu???

Hello everyone!
Our ceremony and reception are being held in the same hall, so during the transformation of the room between ceremony and reception we will be having small appetizers set out for our guests to enjoy for about half an hour. My question is what kind of appetizers should we serve? I am hoping to use all cold appetizers because I am planning on making all of them, and it will be much easier to just pull a tray out of the fridge. So far I am thinking deli spirals, fruit tray, a toothpick through cheese, cherry tomato, and peperoni???.... I'm not sure what else to offer... Or does this sound like enough of a spread??? Any suggestions would help!! Thanks so much in advance!! :)

Re: Appetizer Menu???

• UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could do proscuitto-wrapped melon...bruschetta might work if you had someone to help you spoon the topping over toasted baguette slices right before serving (wouldn't want to do it too early and have them get soggy).  You could do little phyllo cups or wonton cups with crab or chicken or egg salad in them, too.  For a half hour (I'm impressed they can turn a room over that quickly!!!), you won't need a huge number of options...maybe 2-3 bites per person?  So it's up to you how many variations you feel up to making!  A veggie tray would be good, too--just try to make sure you have a couple veggie options in case you have vegetarians!
  • edited December 2011
    you could just do veggie's with dressing or different cheeses with crackers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_appetizer-menu?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:1378c095-97b9-4f50-a08d-3adb38a6fd21Post:994016ec-ba0d-402a-be76-43dcc722c229">Re: Appetizer Menu???</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could do proscuitto-wrapped melon...bruschetta might work if you had someone to help you spoon the topping over toasted baguette slices right before serving (wouldn't want to do it too early and have them get soggy).  You could do little phyllo cups or wonton cups with crab or chicken or egg salad in them, too.  For a half hour (I'm impressed they can turn a room over that quickly!!!), you won't need a huge number of options...maybe 2-3 bites per person?  So it's up to you how many variations you feel up to making!  A veggie tray would be good, too--just try to make sure you have a couple veggie options in case you have vegetarians!
    Posted by UDscoobychick[/QUOTE]

I've never had the proscuitto wrapped melon but have heard of it... Maybe I'll try some before the wedding and see how it is! And I thought half an hour was pretty short too to transform the room but that's what the venue said! I have a feeling it might just happen to be more like 45 min to an hour though :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far!!
  • edited December 2011
    I love proscuitto wrapped melon! Dates stuff with blue cheese are also one of my faves. You could wrap those in bacon too for a fun time. Cucumber rounds with smoked salmon. Cherry tomato, a basil leaf and some buffalo mozzarella on a skewer. Summer rolls with thai dipping sauce.
  • edited December 2011
    I really like baby potatoes stuffed with blue cheese mix.  I make them for new years, but they would work for a wedding too, and, added plus, would not make a mess on a white dress. 

I would take a look at the Williams-Sonoma Hors D'ouevres book (which is where the potatoes are from).  They have dozens of really good options in there. 

Best of luck!
    Final Siggy Challenge: Favorite photo with FI
    At the Apple Orchard
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone! Those are all great ideas!! I'll check into that book as well!
    Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards