Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Do these cake flavors sound alright?

I'm trying to do something a little different for my Fall 2013 Wedding. 
How does everyone feel about using two or three different flavors of the cup cakes
at my reception? 

I'm thinking almond flavored cup cakes, pumpkin flavored cup cakes, and plain vanilla flavored cup cakes. 
My wedding colors are egg plant, gold, and fall-ish rust orange. 
so, with each cupcake I'll do a different color of icing pertaining to my colors.

Any opinions?? 

Re: Do these cake flavors sound alright?

• Different flavors of cupcakes sounds great.  I myself had 5 different flavors for guests to choose from.

The only thing I think you should reconsider is the colored icing.  First, eggplant, gold and rust-orange are just not appealing colors when it comes to eating.  Also, especially the eggplant color, will cause your guests to have purple mouths for the remainder of the reception.  Instead of using colored icing, why not do a nice butter cream or cream cheese icing on all cupcakes and adding in the color with either cupcake wrappers or small fondant decorations.

• I think it's a great idea. I'm doing 6 different cupcake flavors. I agree about the frostings though, eggplant and rust colored cupcakes might look a bit odd. Are you working with a professional? If so they can probably us fondant to make some leaves and other fall type elements with your color scheme that you can put on top of the cupcakes, and have the liners in those colors as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_do-these-cake-flavors-sound-alright?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:28de8358-6467-4e38-b466-81fae6acd0fePost:a94369b0-b99e-4e26-bb66-7476dd4f10cb">Re: Do these cake flavors sound alright?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Different flavors of cupcakes sounds great.  I myself had 5 different flavors for guests to choose from. The only thing I think you should reconsider is the colored icing.  First, eggplant, gold and rust-orange are just not appealing colors when it comes to eating.  Also, especially the eggplant color, will cause your guests to have purple mouths for the remainder of the reception.  Instead of using colored icing, why not do a nice butter cream or cream cheese icing on all cupcakes and adding in the color with either cupcake wrappers or small fondant decorations.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>You m'am, are a wedding genious ! I didn't even consider the the purple and orange mouthes at my reception... Thanks so much ! </div>
  • Thank you ! What six flavors are you using for your cup cakes ? 

I went to a wedding that had a lemon cake with raspberry cream filling !
    I've been trying to push the idea of "raspberry and lemon" with anyone who I think would like the idea. My wedding being in the fall I didn't think it seemed like a good option.
    But for my friends spring wedding it was perfect.
  • We're having a spring wedding, so we actually have something similar, a strawberry lemonade cake. It's a lemon cake with strawberry filling and strawberry frosting.

We're also doing:
    peaches and cream
    pink lemonade
    pink champagne
    cafe mocha
    and cherry limeade

We're having an Alice In Wonderland tea party themed wedding, so the cupcakes are all based off of beverages. I agree that raspberry and lemon wouldn't fit a fall wedding. The flavors you mentioned sound great for fall though!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it sounds good because you have some fun fall flavors with a vanilla for those who prefer something traditional.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards