Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Questions

So I'm a ways out(18 months till wedding) before I have to order a cake but its already weighing heavy on me. Here's the back story I the bride have celiac disease, as does my mother, my maid of honor, and the 4th bridesmaid. This means hello gluten free wedding! My fiance and I have discussed this and he is 100% agreement that this is a necessity to avoid making the 4 of us sick.

Food can easily be modified and I'm not worried about this we're just going to avoid breads and crackers. Cake however maybe a little trickier. I have 2 vendors lined up, and possibly a 3rd to set up tastings at the end of this summer. All three are completely gluten free bakeries, they are coming in much cheaper than a standard bakery making a gf cake. Im nervous particularly because I really cant tell you anymore what a real cake is like its been 8+ years for me so my tastes have likely changed. I worry that I'll choose a cake and people will immediatly know something is up with my cake, I do not want people outside our close circle to know that the cake is gluten free. So here are my questions:

1. Certain flavors of gf cakes come off as not gf a lot easier such as nut cakes. The reason for this is nut flour cakes typically have less flour anyway, so anyone who has eaten an actual almond cake is unlikely to know the difference in the trace flour. How worried do I have to be about my guests preferences in the cake flavors? I'd really like to do atleast one layer of almond, hazelnut, or pistachio cake, but not everyone likes nuts. I'd also really like fillings like apricot, and raspberry.

2. The 3 places I'm talking to are quoting me about 6-10 a slice with homemade fondant since most premade has gluten. The one I'm leaning towards is $7 a slice with fondant and has the most flavor options. I am realistic a gluten free cake will be more expensive than a standard one after eating gf for so long the price doesnt really shock me, but am I being ripped off? Or is this comparable on some levels to a real cake? I really cant tell anymore just like taste and texture prices of food are completly off kilter for me at this point. I'm just triyng to make sure I save as much as possible in this proccess is all.

3. How many people is it appropriate for me to take to a tasting? My fiance is not a big cake eater, my maid of honor and mom are gluten free. I'd like to bring possibly 1 groomsman and another female with us as well to the tasting that are not glutenfree. I'd be willing to pay at this point, but I need some feedback from people who eat real food. As stated I dont want the look of this cake is funny at my wedding, and I dont know why but I hate it.

4. Would you be offended by being offered a gluten free cake if you found out after the fact or knew going in? Or would you be ok with this knowing that out of 100+ people 4 including the bride had celiac? I have no doubts it will get out at the wedding after the fact that its gluten free, especially after family and close friends see my mom and I eating it and its the same cake cut for everyone else. I just dont want to offend people is all.

DIStickers.com Ticker

Re: Cake Questions

• edited May 2012
    Why not just have a smaller cake to cut with FI and regular cake for everyone else?  Then you and those with the diet restriction can eat the small cake, instead of constantly worrying how the taste will be for everyone else.

Or you can go the cupcake route and have the baker make enough for the four of you that are GF, and regular cupcakes for everyone else.

Why would people be offended at a dietary restriction?  It's not like you are choosing not to eat foods with the letter "r" or something silly like that.

I really believe you are over-thinking this and stressing yourself out for no reason.

• dewingedpixiedewingedpixie member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    We had been asked about this option, but since it is full blown celiac if the people cutting the cake used the same knife or something else it would literally be the undoing of the 4 of us, particularly me who has it the worst. It takes less than the ammount of gluten in 1 crumb to cause the autoimmune and physical reaction in a celiac. It was actually fiance who said absolutely no real cake when we discussed the options, and no gluten at the reception. Cross contamination can happen very easily/innoccently and cause a massive disaster. We may even cut beer at this point since we're bringing in a keg of hard cider due to him not liking beer anyway. This is just something we dont even want to mess with.

We keep real bread in our home and cereal but its kept in a separate cabinet. The bread in tupperware, and its cut on a different cutting board. We have separate toasters (a very early purchase by him in our dating one way I knew he was a keeper). Our kitchen is 99% gluten free. We dont bake or bring in cakes, brownies, cookies that are not gluten free. All pizzas and pasta is made gluten free as well. It seems anal retentive but I also have other autoimmune issues that go bazerk if this one is triggered so its something we have chosen as a family to keep to a minimum.

As to the stress factor you're probably right. He tells me the same thing. When I started gf the products were crappy. He tells me he cant tell the difference, and many of my friends say the same thing. The only thing they can tell the difference with is the bread and crackers those are about 3 centuries behind in culinary goodness even though they've improved dramaticly.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • edited May 2012
    If your FI eats regular cake, just have him go to the tasting, even if he isn't a big cake eater.  If he doesn't, take a girlfriend.  No big deal.  You don't have to take an entourage with you.  Just one person who won't mind testing cakes and will give you an honest opinon.

Or, as I stated before, have the bakery provide GF cupcakes (or cake) for you and the other GF guests.  You would use your own server to cut the cake, and have different servers for the regular cake for your guests.  If you want to make sure this is done correctly, just have the venue cut the GF cake right in front of you and leave the cake and servers out front.  Then take the regular cake and a new server in the back and cut the cake that way.
  • MmorayMmoray member
    First Comment
    I think it's absurd that the PP are so unwilling to let you just do a gluten-free cake! As a guest, who supposedly loves and cares about you and your FI, I would not care about the gluten-free cake. Good bakers are able to avoid the gluten and still turn out delicious cakes, so stop stressing. 
    Just take some non-gluten-intolerant people to the tasting to make sure it's a universally liked flavor.

No big deal.  :)
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    If you're going to have gf and gluten products at the wedding, I think you need to go the cupcake route to assure there isn't cross-contamination.  I think anyone who is used to products containing gluten can go to your tasting, I would call ahead and let them know how many people are coming though and ask if there is a charge. 

Most people expect almond cake at a wedding, that is the flavor of "wedding cake", you can just have almond and it be okay.  I would offer almond and at least one other flavor, I think two to three choices should cover most people who want to eat cake.

In New Orleans, every bakery I've seen starts at $5 per slice for wedding cakes, and they go up from there.  The $5 is usually a very plain, one flavor and one filling type of cake.  I'm guessing typical cost for a wedding cake is $5.50 to 6.50 per slice, so no that doesn't sound high to me for a specialty cake.  You could check your local board, they will have a better idea of what cake prices are in your area.  You could also look at a "regular" bakery's website and see if they have their brochure online or call and get a quick estimate, just ask if they charge per slice, and if so what the range usually is.

I would not be offended at all if I found out it was gluten free later.  If I was going to a wedding where the bride was vegan by choice, I didn't know it, had the cake and then later found out it was vegan, I wouldn't be offended, even if it was bad cake, and I'm the person who's favorite part of a wedding is cake.

I assume you really want cake, because depending on your wedding style, you could offer a different dessert.  If your FI isn't a big cake person, and you don't care, I would go this route.  You just need to offer your guests something sweet, it doesn't have to be cake.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-questions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:324860d6-282e-4b09-9aca-cbc3f2420af8Post:5150cbf1-aab8-4978-bd3a-06309d310d57">Re: Cake Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's absurd that the PP are so unwilling to let you just do a gluten-free cake! As a guest, who supposedly loves and cares about you and your FI, I would not care about the gluten-free cake. Good bakers are able to avoid the gluten and still turn out delicious cakes, so stop stressing.  Just take some non-gluten-intolerant people to the tasting to make sure it's a universally liked flavor. No big deal.  :)
    Posted by Mmoray[/QUOTE]

I never said I was unwilling to have her do a GF cake.  OP is worried about the taste of it for her non-GF guests, so I gave her 2 possible suggestions:  either have someone who doesn't have the restriction go with her to taste the cakes, or have a small GF cake and regular cake for everyone else.  Maybe you should read her whole post before talking about my unwillingness.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_cake-questions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:324860d6-282e-4b09-9aca-cbc3f2420af8Post:5150cbf1-aab8-4978-bd3a-06309d310d57">Re: Cake Questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's absurd that the PP are so unwilling to let you just do a gluten-free cake! As a guest, who supposedly loves and cares about you and your FI, I would not care about the gluten-free cake. Good bakers are able to avoid the gluten and still turn out delicious cakes, so stop stressing.  Just take some non-gluten-intolerant people to the tasting to make sure it's a universally liked flavor. No big deal.  :)
    Posted by Mmoray[/QUOTE]

Where did she say she was unwilling to let her have a gluten free cake and exactly how would she go about forbidding it?
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I really want a pretty tiered cake :). All three of these bakeries have done wedding cakes. I really like those funky ones were the layers are lopsided.
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • I think your best bet, since you are concerned about your non-dietary restricted guests tastes, is to bring a close friend or family member who does not have a gluten restriction to your cake tasting.  They should be honest with you about the taste of the cake.  If, for some reason, they hate it.  You most certainly can still have a tiered wedding cake that contains gluten and then a smaller cake that is non-gluten for you and your other dietary restricted guests.

Most, if not all, venues have dealt with dietary restrictions before and know how to handle the food properly to prevent cross contamination.  I would make sure that you explain your situation completely and let them know of your severe case so that they can take extra precautions.

• m tullim tulli member
    First Comment
    I have family/friends that have celiac.  I have had gluten free brownies that were actually really good.  I would bring a friend who is use to the taste of "regular" cake so they can help ease your mind on what a guest might think.  I don't think there is anything wrong with meeting your dietary needs.  I wouldn't bring too many people with you though because too many opinions might make it harder for you to make the final decision.
    85image 71image 14image
  • MmorayMmoray member
    First Comment
    I never said anything about "forbidding," just unwilling.

The OP made it clear she wants a cake.."pretty tiered cake" as she points out later. 

I just thought it was weird how everyone's basically saying to do a separate cake or cupcakes..when it's her wedding and she's so worried about cross-contamination. 

Taking someone used to gluten cake with her to the tasting is a courtesy. I recognize that she wants to make sure her guests enjoy the cake, but the main thing she needs to hear is that she's worrying too much over this detail.

All is well. The cake will be great. And she won't have to worry about getting sick on her wedding day.  :)

I honestly didn't mean to sound aggressive. I was just shocked at the direction of the responses at first. 
  • Ask the bakeries how many people you can bring to the tasting.  Even when paying there is usually a limit due to space and cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards