Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Bridesmaid's dresses

I know that most lists will say to order bm dresses 6-8 months out but I was wonder what has been your experience with the ordering process? We will most likely go through David's Bridal. But none of my bms are in the same city, I've got one in OKC, one in Lubbuck, and one in Florida. What are your thoughts on when we should order them? Thanks for your help and please forgive me of any typos-I'm on my phone!

Re: Bridesmaid's dresses

• Options
    mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd do 6 months. Because, unfortunately it really depends on the store. My bm who ordered first, got her dress in last. There's no sense in it at all. I think 6 months is a good time frame, but that's because at least one of them will end up being difficult and put it off. My sister didn't order hers until 2 months before and it was fine. So after all of that round about nonsense, I'd say 3-6 months.
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My MOH ordered her five months out and it came in six weeks before the wedding; we went through David's and she took it to be altered at the bridal shop in Southlake (she said they were reasonable on their alteration prices). 
  • Options
    maykiousmaykious member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs--it totally depends on the store.  I ordered a BM dress and was told twelve weeks, but I got it in like, two or three.  Other people have had to wait longer.  Six months should be plenty of time to include for any weirdness other stores may have.  Plus, it'll be a nice weight off their shoulders to not have to worry about it possibly not coming in on time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    6 months and not 8 months, ok! What about being ordered from different stores? Will the colors be off?
  • Options
    mandasue178mandasue178 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If they're from the same chain (David's or Alfred Angelo) you should be fine. My 5 bm's ordered from 3 or 4 different stores, and you couldn't tell anything in the color. They all wore different dresses though, so that may have helped.
    Becoming My Mother
    Names for our Currently Non-Existent Baby Anniversary
    Dx: PCOS 3/11
    **TTC buddies with Browneyedhunni85**
  • Options
    juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If all the dresses are ordered through David's, for example, then the color will come out the same.  However, if one girl gets a dress from Alfred Angelo, one girl gets one from David's and the other goes to a local only bridal salon, then they will be different colors.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I had it to do over, I would not have used DB.  The dresses are such poor quality.  Yes I know they only wear it once, they're economical, convenient for those in different cities, etc.--that's why I used them too.  But I am worried sick my BM's zipper is going to break or get stuck because it has every time we've tried it on her.  If I had it do over, I would have went with AA or found a nicer line and then gotten it cheaper at one of the discount places people mention on here.  DB is not THAT much cheaper than AA if you're paying for a dress not on sale.
  • Options
    em410em410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work at David's so I wanted to give you some inside information. Most dresses have a six week order time, but generally come in sooner than that. Depending on your wedding date however, and when you order the dress, it could take longer. January through March is what David's refers to as "Bridal Christmas" because they get super busy with spring and summer weddings right around the corner. Also, alterations can take up to 8 weeks during that time. If you order all the dresses through David's, the colors will all be the same. David's also uses a Wish List that is accessible from any David's Bridal store. An associate can add the style and color you have chosen and your girls can go to any David's and order their dress there. HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ordered mine 4 and a half months out and the last one came in 4 days before the wedding. I'd order as soon as you can just to avoid that stress! Mine were not from David's though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We ordered Mori Lee through Denton Bridal. I placed the order (for all the dresses) on January 4. They came right before Easter (I can't remember if that's April or March).
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you gals for your help. Now I'm not as worried as I was!
  • Options
    BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as the quality, I think they're OK, but do be prepared for an emergency. I have been a bridesmaid twice, and both times got the dress through David's. I thought the quality was just fine, and actually I really liked the second dress - I would love to wear it again but haven't had a dressy enough occasion. BUT, at the last wedding, a bridesmaid's zipper broke, and I spent over an hour sewing her into her dress. Luckily, I had taken mine to JoAnn and bought matching thread so nobody could tell. But really, it was her fault for not trying on the dress before she ordered it or even after she got it, until the day of the wedding. Just make sure they order the right size!
  • Options
    katiekate214katiekate214 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just order asap, everyone will tell youa different time line and some will come early and some late. It's just too hard to tell so you should try to order them as soon as you have them picked out. Im not a fan of DB, my sister used them for her wedding and didn't have a good experiance. I used Alfred Angelo because I have girls all over the country, they each went to thier individual store and ordered. All have come in but one, and she ordered last so that was expected. Also ignore the whole "they have to be ordered at the same time to ensure color matching" if someone tells you that, go to a different store. That was true 5 years ago but these days they use different/better dying methods, so go to a store that says its not a problem, that way your maids in different states can order at thier own store. AA is that way, they have improved dying methods and no longer push you to order at the same time. One more BM dress tip: never get alterations done in store, they over charge like crazy and you have no idea who is doing the work or if they are good. GOODLUCK :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards