Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Bar question

We're having a full open bar (mixed drinks and all...) and working on booking a bartender.  Previously, we were going to purchase the alcohol ourselves and bring it to the venue, but after the bartender gave us a quote on how much it would per drink for her to just bring booze and charge us basically per drink, I'm considering that.  My FI thinks that mark-up is too high, but I told him (based on the fact that most of my family doesn't drink) that it might end up being a lot less overall and we won't have alcohol leftover that maybe it's a good idea. 

Just weighing the pros of having the bartender provide - which would be $3 / glass of wine, $3.25 / mixed drink, $2 can of beer.  I think that's not too bad and most people will cost us around $10-15 a person, and with around half of our guests drinking that will come out to more like $1000 when we budgeted for $1500.  The other scenario is that we spend $1500 on booze, and I'm almost certain we'll have tons leftover.

Anyone else have any experiences or care to comment on the prices above?  If you need clarification, I'll check back shortly.

Re: Bar question

• edited December 2011
    Where were you planning on purchasing the alcohol? Some places will let you return unopened bottles of wine and liquor (provided they haven't been chilled). I would check that out before you make a final decision, because that could save you a lot of money as well.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, most places will let you return unopened, unchilled bottles. Having said that, if you don't want to be responsible for dealing with the leftovers, then letting someone else deal with it could be money well spent.
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I would let the bartender deal with it. Being in the NYC metro area, her price per drink sounds so cheap! But then again, I'm not sure what else you'll be paying for their time and set up.
  • edited December 2011
    Those drink prices are incredibly low, at least compared to what we were quoted in the MSP area.  Buying your own would probably be cheaper if you could return unopened/unchilled bottles, but you're also left with having to buy and transport all of it and store/return it afterward.  It seems to me that having the bartender do it would be money well spent to have those errands taken off your shoulders.  You'll be busy enough already.
  • Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that the prices are good for the bartender. I'd go with that. But you could always buy the alcohol and return what you don't use...but that would be another trip you'd have to take!
  • JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd go w/ the bartender.  It's one less thing you and your FI would have to worry about.  Plus, if you bought your own you'd probably have to get a 1 day liquor license and I dont' know how much that would cost in your area.  Plus, the prices the bartender quoted you are so CHEAP!
    imageAnniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I would go with the letting the bartender handle it. As PP's are saying, it will be much less hassle in the end. Those prices do sound very reasonable.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm wondering where you're getting your per-person drink price, because it seems a little low. If you factor in 5 drinks per person for a 5 hour reception (including non-drinkers) you'll be at $1500 anyway.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • alainn15alainn15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You have to really trust the person you hire to keep proper count. The person could add drinks that weren't really poured. aside from that, did I read that right? You are expecting about $10-15 or three to five drinks per person. I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and drank about ten and my FI had way more than that.
  • edited December 2011
    for a party of 100 drinkers we were quoted about $500 for booze. We are only providing, beer, red and white wine, whiskey, vodka, and a signature drink. Liquior store said most people have one drink per hour and that;s how he figured our total amount to buy. We then stocked up on two liters of coke products when they were on sale for $1 each or less.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards