Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Tell me your cake flavors & fillings...

Re: Tell me your cake flavors & fillings...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having 5 cakes served separately on antique cake stands...Our flavors are...

1. Red Velvet with a bourbon cream cheese filling...
    2. Lemon cake with a raspberry creme filling....
    3. Chocolate cake with coconut creme filling...
    4.Italian cream with chocolate mousse filling...
    5. White cake with peanut butter/reese's cup/heath bar filling (fi's cake)...

All of the cakes will be iced with buttercream icing...good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is also in October!  Our cake is a very large four tiered creation by Dufflet's bakery in Toronto. 

We'll be having simple white (with a white buttercream filling) for the bottom and next to top tiers, and simple white with one layer of mocha and one layer of chocolate buttercream filling for the third and top tiers.  The flavours compliment one another wonderfully.

The idea of varying flavours for each layer has its appeal, but when you start throwing too much flavour into one cake - it really messes up the continuity of it.  We like the idea of classic white cake, but just added the touch of mocha and chocolate filling to offer a slight variety without detracting from the overall flow of things.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our "real" cake is lemon with raspberry filling, we're also having a sheet cake that we haven't chosen the flavor for yet. For that one FI wants chocolate cake with Bailey's cream filling
  • Options
    JenO24JenO24 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I make cakes, but didn't want to take on the challenge of doing my own wedding cake so I found a great cake lady on the town we're having our wedding in.  I couldn't have choose better cake flavors then this...

bottom tier - almond cake w/ lemon filling
    middle tier - chocolate cake w/ raspberry filling
    top tier - banana/chocolate chip cake w/ buttercream filling

I didn't want too traditional cake flavors since it's a polka-dotted cake!

Good luck cake tasting!!!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    kitkatzkitkatz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our first tier will be a spumoni "Pistachio cake paired with dark chocolate ganche and cherry filling. Our second Tier will be a black and white cake with german chocolate filling (the nut topping on top of german chocoate cake used as the filling). And our third tier we haven't decided on yet.
  • Options
    didadida member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My fiance and I aren't cake people either, so we found a baker that does cheesecake wedding cakes. We are adding a topping bar with the money we saved. We know that not everyone likes cheesecake, so we are doing a layer of white cake with raspberry filling. Our baker also assured us that cheesecake actually freezes better than cake, so we can save the top. I'm sure no matter what you choose it will be wonderful!

• Options
    jessgosz310jessgosz310 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake will be three layers in an oval shape. It's a chocalate Guinness cake with two layers of Guinness buttercream and a layer of chocalate ganache. It does not have an overwhelming taste, but intstead it has a rich taste.
    We decided to just stick to one flavor. My other choice was doing a spice cake with pumpkin buttercream, but we felt that may not appeal to as many people as chocolate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a September wedding, so I'm having either a spice cake with cream cheese icing or carrot cake with cream cheese icing. I have already done the tasting for them and it is amazing!!!
  • Options
    greenbean951greenbean951 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing alternating layers of pumpkin cake with caramel filling and red velvet with white chocolate mousse filling
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I *love* our baker. She's making 1 tier of chocolate peanut-butter cake with nutter butter/peanut butter filling and the other alternating tier is roasted banana with almond buttercream and coconut. The whole cake will be lightly iced with almond buttercream so that the chocolate ganache will fall smoothly down its sides. Yum.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our bottom tier is chocolate ckae with raspberry filling. Middle tier is pink champagne with the same filling. Top tier is chocolate with hazlenut filling. Grooms cake is red velvet with cream cheese filling. I am most excited about the pink champagne tier. It is different  but so very good!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Champagne Cake....YUM!
  • Options
    kimenkimen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't know cake you should think of two things: 
    1.) what cake would be nice for you and fiancée (doesn't have to be fancy but you should enjoy eating it. If that means no cake then feel okay to do that.) 
    2.) Have a simple/traditional choice that most people will enjoy (that's usually a yellow cake with a danish layer [raspberry and custard middle sometimes people do frosting instead of custard]). This should be the largest tier on your cake

If you are having multiple tiers on your cake and want to go through the trouble of spicing things up you should have one traditional layer (no nuts or chocolate in it due to people's preferences and allergies), one layer you will love, a chocolate/nut layer for those people out there who do like it, and remember it is traditional to save the top layer of the cake for your anniversary in one year. Keep in mind that the baker might tell you that the frosting has to be the same for all the tiers on your cake - so that means you can't have carrot cake (with creamcheese frosting) and yellow cake (with buttercream icing) on the same tiered cake.

You should see if the baker is well-known for any particular types of cake.

I love strawberries so I'm having a two-tier Strawberry Chip cake (bits of strawberry throughout the cake dough & buttercream icing) and a Strawberry Danish Layer sheet cake (yellow cake with strawberry jelly and fresh cut strawberries in the middle layer with custard and Buttercream frosting on the outside). 

Do consider getting a sheet cake - it cuts costs, tastes great, and once your cake is cut no one will really know/care if it cake from a tiered cake or a sheet.

I hope that helps you make your decision. If you aren't a cake person it should be simple - you can go for the cheapest cake person and just have it lightly decorated. I'm very particular about the taste of my buttercream icing (because bought cakes just can't match my home made recipe) and I had to try four cake places before finding one that was close in flavor (instead of tasting like it cake from wal-mart). 

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having a 3-tier cake.

The bottom is going to be a chocolate/vanilla marble.
    The middle is going to be strawberry creme.
    And the top is going to be french vanilla.

Nothing to crazy but really yummy!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1st) Spice Cake with Caramel filling
    2nd) Yellow Cake with Fudge Filling
    3rd) White cake with Raspberry
    4th) chocolate with fudge
    5th) yellow with fudge again (this is our cake basically.. My fiance and I both loved it!
  • Options
    lindseymckeenlindseymckeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We choose two different cake flavors  The majority of the cake will be raspberry marble pound cake with a rasberry buttercream filling.  The second largest tear (of 4) is chocolate pound cake with chocolate ganache filling, since my dad and I are both chocolate lovers!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are doing a four tier vanilla cake with rasperry filling and white chocolate buttercream, covered in white chocolate shavings!
  • Options
    elgrumbaelgrumba member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having vanilla bean cake with passion fruit & strawberry mousse filling. Delicious!
    However, if you're doing October, you could totally steal our back-up that was too heavy for July: pumpkin pie cake! (Pumpkin spice cake with vanilla mousse filling.)
    Have fun - cake is one of the best parts!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yellow cake with alternating layers of chocolate truffle mousse and Bailey's cream... can't wait!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alternating tiers of carrot cake and white cake with cream cheese icing. (We know the cream cheese won't look as pretty, but it's going to taste amazing!) My FI doesn't love cake, but he really liked the carrot cake, which is great, since my whole family loves carrot cake!
  • Options
    csylvester49csylvester49 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance' and I are doing all red velvet - our color is red, and well.... we just love the way it tastes. But, my sister did belgian chocolate cake with bavarian cream and raspberry filling - which was so good! The cake was covered in white chocolate shavings too. FABULOUS!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're alternating between Red Velvet and Vanilla Creme, with cream cheese filling between each layer (3 layers per tier... 3 tiers).  Our baker suggested we don't have too many flavors and different flavors per tier, so as to not envoke "cake envy"  Wink
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Evening summer wedding, we're having banana cake layered with chocolate ganache, vanilla cake layered with peach preserves and lemon cake layered with lemon curd.  The whole cake will be covered in buttercream and finished in fondant.  J

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1 & 2: Vanilla cake with vanilla bavarian filling
    3: Raspberry vanilla cake with rasperry filling
    4. Vanilla cake with lemon filling (it's lemon and bavarian cream)
    5. Chocolate and vanilla cake with mocha flavored bavarian cream

All have buttercream frosting. We went crazy because the cake won't be tiered... Separate layers on cut birch segments!
  • Options
    smb2571smb2571 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just had our cake tasting yesterday and chose alternating layers of red velvet cake and butternut cake.  My wedding is in September and the colors are red and golden yellow.  Turns out the cake colors will match the wedding colors, but we didn't choose them for the colors.  I don't like squash, but the butternut cake was so moist and didn't taste like the squash at all...it was wonderful!  Our grooms cake will be Tira Misu cake.  I can hardly wait to eat dessert at the reception!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amy3781amy3781 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing two flavors. One carrot cake with almond buttercream (sooooo yummy!!). The other layer will be white with chocolate marquise. Didnt think I would ever have carrot cake for the wedding cake but its soooo good!! Couldnt pass it up!!
  • Options
    angela2684angela2684 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our bottom layer is going to be chocolate chip.. the next layer is bananna pound cake with toffee bits.. then red velvet with cinnamon..and the top layer is chocolate fudge cake with white and dark chocolate mouse...all with a buttercream frosting. im so excited for our cake. the tasting was SO good!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing cherry almond. YUM!
  • Options
    DaynaandEmilDaynaandEmil member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having four flavors: white sponge cake with almond flavoring and marchino cherries, buttercream frosting; boston tea cake with white sponge cake, chocholate ganche, bavarian cream and butter cream frosting; red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting; and a kahlua cake, chocolate cake with kahlua brushed on and buttercream frosting.
  • Options
    fitzgirl17fitzgirl17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having an October wedding and doing Lemon Cake, Orange Cake and Carrot Cake with white chocolate icing. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards