Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

First time Taster!

So me and the future hubby have scheduled our tastings with the caterer and the baker and now I have questions about how this goes. We are doing this alone because my family lives out of state, and his family isn't really interested. The questions I am having is when I go to the baker am I supposed to request what flavors I am wanting for my cake, that way I only try the flavors I am interested in?

And then with the Caterer do you think it would be out of line to ask about what he can do to help us with our family members who are vegan, have celiac disease, and one who only eats fish? Normally I wouldn't question this, but our reception place is paying for the caterer as part of like a package deal, so I am not sure what the rules are with that....

Basically I am not wanting to sound like a dumb bride! I'm not dumb I'm new!
Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!

Re: First time Taster!

• Options
    UDscoobychickUDscoobychick member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the cake, if they're limiting the number of options you can try, then definitely pick your top few that you're interested in, and ask if you can try those.  Otherwise, just enjoy the cake!  ;)

For the caterer, you should ABSOLUTELY ask how they handle special dietary restrictions.  Our caterer was more than willing to discuss adapting meals to be gluten-free, vegetarian, lactose-free, etc (we have a lot of special requests!).  Plus, it gives them a heads-up that you will be needing those kinds of accomodations.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't feel badly about asking these people questions! That's totally how your relationship should work.

Definitely ask the caterer what they can do in terms of dealing with food restrictions.
  • Options
    leilahaustinleilahaustin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My first tasting is in a couple days.  I can't wait.  It is with the place we are 99.9% ready to choose for our venue.  They do complimentary food tasting based on good faith.  This is a great company!  Anyway, I will be going with my mother and FI, and his parents.  I am excited and a little nervous.  I'm hoping the food is as good as it looks on paper.  

Definitely ask all questions you feel are important.  If your gonna spend money on this then you don't want to feel weird after.  My dad's a vegetarian and so is my brothers girlfriend.  I have to think about those few when tasting and choosing food.  

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The best cake tasting I've ever seen was on Platinum Weddings.  The baker brought out several cake flavors with no frosting on them & had a separate plate with fillings & a third plate with frostings.  The B&G then got to mix & match as much as they wanted.  I would ask FI before you go what he wants most  & what he does not want at all.  Some guys think they don't care until you ask what they don't want.  HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards